Joe Biden speaks out on Brexit – saying “we’ve just got to keep the border open”

Started by Dynamis, November 25, 2020, 07:53:40 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 25, 2020, 06:23:54 PM
Every single person in the USA are Irish if you ask them, 99% of them can't even tell you how they are Irish. Biden him self hasn't had any Irish roots for 170 years. He's less Irish than me.
I didn't know you were irish Nick, top of the morning to ya

patman post

You posted:

Quote from: Nick on November 25, 2020, 06:23:54 PM
Biden him self hasn't had any Irish roots for 170 years.

The fact is people believe he's had Irish roots all his seventy-odd years...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on November 25, 2020, 05:59:54 PM
The border is sorted Sheepy, it's not part of the current trade talks. Johnson allready agreed to no border in Ireland and a border down the middle of the UK.
Well good to hear it is all sorted then Gerry, let's hope he hasn't fecked over the British people then for his sake, we are very patient people, we get you in the end, metaphorically speaking of course.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: patman post on November 25, 2020, 06:56:04 PM
US president-elect Joe Biden can trace his Irish roots back to both the Blewitts from Co Mayo and the Finnegans from Co Louth.
His great-great grandfather Patrick Blewitt was born in Ballina, Co Mayo, in 1832. Patrick left Ireland in the autumn of 1850 to settle in America. He did return to Ireland the following year though, to bring his parents Edward and Mary and his siblings to America.
The Blewitts settled in Scranton, Pennsylvania and Patrick became a mining inspector, often working in South America.
Patrick had a son, Edward F Blewitt, who was born in New Orleans in 1859. He was named after Patrick's father who died in a drowning accident in 1872.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/what-are-joe-biden-s-irish-roots-1.4403488

That seems to show that people who count believe his Irish roots are legit...

Like I said, 170 years. 7 generations since they were Irish, thanks for making my point.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

US president-elect Joe Biden can trace his Irish roots back to both the Blewitts from Co Mayo and the Finnegans from Co Louth.
His great-great grandfather Patrick Blewitt was born in Ballina, Co Mayo, in 1832. Patrick left Ireland in the autumn of 1850 to settle in America. He did return to Ireland the following year though, to bring his parents Edward and Mary and his siblings to America.
The Blewitts settled in Scranton, Pennsylvania and Patrick became a mining inspector, often working in South America.
Patrick had a son, Edward F Blewitt, who was born in New Orleans in 1859. He was named after Patrick's father who died in a drowning accident in 1872.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/what-are-joe-biden-s-irish-roots-1.4403488

That seems to show that people who count believe his Irish roots are legit...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 25, 2020, 06:04:11 PM
I said the USA helped. The people you mention above made it happen. I don't get your point, the USA were involved, they have an interest in what happened.

Every single person in the USA are Irish if you ask them, 99% of them can't even tell you how they are Irish. Biden him self hasn't had any Irish roots for 170 years. He's less Irish than me.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on November 25, 2020, 02:05:41 PM
If by "They" you mean the USA, I suggest you're mistaken.
There were collections for various Irish causes that eventually purchased Armorlites and Semtex, in Australia, NZ, Canada, the US and the UK...

I'm talking about Noraid, head office in NY and collected money in the NY and Boston area of the cause. If that's not funding tell me what is.

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on November 25, 2020, 01:50:16 PMNot John Hume and David Trimble, helped on by John Major and Tony Blair, Mo Mowlam, even the vile Gerry Adams, then?

You are obviously referring to this:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-mitchell-principles-1.50976
I said the USA helped. The people you mention above made it happen. I don't get your point, the USA were involved, they have an interest in what happened.

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on November 25, 2020, 10:40:23 AM
So how do you know he is talking to the UK when we have said all along, we don't need a border with the south, or ever intended one, he might be speaking to the EU indirectly, who have suddenly realised only them comprising will get a deal, after all they were the ones who said they would put a border up, not the UK. Which our Irish friend has spent months trying to spin it was the UK who said it. It wasn't.
The border is sorted Sheepy, it's not part of the current trade talks. Johnson allready agreed to no border in Ireland and a border down the middle of the UK.

GerryT

Quote from: Sampanviking on November 25, 2020, 10:45:06 AM
Easiest solution is to put the customs border in the Atlantic between Mainland Europe and the Republic of Ireland.
I can see we'll have lots of fun on here !

The UK signed the GFA, this says there will be no hardening of borders or barriers to trade on the island of Ireland.

Hence the dilemma, a hard brexit puts the UK in a different customs union so a border is required by BOTH the UK and EU. This border is only required if the UK breaks their agreement in the GFA. Yes this would mean the UK standing by its agreement, a pure UK decision.

Roll on to January this yr and Johnson signed the WA, this came after the brexit 2016 vote so obviously takes precedence. In this Johnson committed the UK to keeping NI in sink with EU rules and regulations, pretty much keeping NI in the EU single market. So even though GB leaves the EU, NI remains. The only way this can happen is if a border is imposed from GB to NI. There will in any event be a border between GB and ROI.

Roll on to recent weeks and Johnson see's the fine mess he's caused for his hard brexit supporters and thinks he can sweep the WA under the carpet by introducing the IMB (internal market bill) and effectivly giving himself the power to remove the WA (withdrawal agreement)

Hence the posturing, the EU saying honour the GFA and WA by removing the IMB or we won't sign a FTA with you, USA has chipped in and agreed. Time will tell how this pans out

patman post

Biden was probably fully behind reunification.
Noraid duped many into believing funds were for charitable causes...

johnofgwent

Quote from: GerryT on November 25, 2020, 04:37:30 PM
Yep and many other places too. Whats the point

I'd be keen to know what laws he stood behind in 1994

Youtube and twatter seems clogged with all sorts of shit about laws joe biden was actively involved in

1994 was the year Noraid lost the court case ... I'm wondering what Biden's stace was ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

GerryT

Quote from: Dynamis on November 25, 2020, 09:23:14 AMNo he doesn't. Clinton did that, not him or the people around him.

And the difference is night & day. I know you're not stupid so don't pretend as if this isn't the case.
I never said anything to the contrary. Yes Clinton was very influential. What I said is the USA were a party to the peace and Biden means to follow through on that. Lets face it Biden see's himself as Irish, he's got 60m people in the USA that call themselves Irish, he's also playing politics.

Luckily Biden is not Trump and I see Biden as one to open up the USA to more FTA's, climate change, the UN, WTO. All the things that Trump looked to distroy. So if the NI issue is resolved then the door will be open for a USA/UK trade deal, moreso than when Trump was around. He would have ground the UK down, he was all "America First"

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Borchester on November 25, 2020, 02:18:57 PM
Joe has also said that his priorities are women' rights, racial equality and climate change. So next time you look down a colleen's dress and ask if her suntan is natural or the result of global warming, you can always say that you are just trying to start a political debate.

^ And Borky can attest to this, and so can every 'colleen' down the local in Elbowsden.  ;D
+++