Off topic thread (to the tower)

Started by cromwell, November 09, 2019, 12:24:10 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=5115 time=1573382076 user_id=63

And it's did all to do with your favourite political party. Wales has been run by labour non stop since 1997

I don't have a favourite party. Where I live used to have excellent NHS services until the constituency went Tory.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=5111 time=1573381648 user_id=89
I am facing blindness in one eye because of the long and getting longer waiting time for surgery.

sorry to hear that papa. Hope you get your surgery soon.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=5111 time=1573381648 user_id=89
I am facing blindness in one eye because of the long and getting longer waiting time for surgery.

In my case alternatives were unavailable, there was only one machine capable of handling a cataract op on an eyeball with -10 vision and when the only bloke capable of doing it retired the NHS Wales didn't bother replacing him. And didn't bother telling anyone they hadn't ....

Other machines were available but the chance of detachment rose from 10% to 60%. As it was the asshole manning the emergency helpline told me my detached retina was a perfectly normal side effect that would clear itself. So I was left to walk the streets with a detached retina. The follow up check found it a month later and the consultant went apecshit

And it's did all to do with your favourite political party. Wales has been run by labour non stop since 1997
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=5109 time=1573381459 user_id=63

i went blind waiting for a cataract operation

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=5109 time=1573381459 user_id=63
Tbh toots as a freelancer I had far too much "retirement" 2005-2012

I set out plans when I went into business for myself to be able to bale out at 50 as I expected to have issues similar to those dad had, in the same business as me, which totally buggered him at 55. As things turned out I dodged that bullet but i went blind waiting for a cataract operation that nearly bankrupted me until the operation finally restored my sight and employability  so i consider I have indeed been there, done that and it's not for me.

But I think I could handle a three day week. Should I vote for Corbyn ??
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Tbh toots as a freelancer I had far too much "retirement" 2005-2012

I set out plans when I went into business for myself to be able to bale out at 50 as I expected to have issues similar to those dad had, in the same business as me, which totally buggered him at 55. As things turned out I dodged that bullet but i went blind waiting for a cataract operation that nearly bankrupted me until the op sorted me out so i consider I have indeed been there, done that and it's not for me.

But I think I could handle a three day week. Should I vote for Corbyn ??

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=5101 time=1573380206 user_id=63
And this, ladies and gents, is why retirement is not for me

You just don't know til you try it.  I actually retired twice before it took properly. TBH I thought retirement would kill me and this year I have thought once or twice that it had but I'm still here fighting. Having said that I find I don't miss my former life at all. 55 hour weeks plus all nighters at times and the self induced stress makes looking back a bit of a shock that I even managed the 46 years.

So retirement is different but it has made room for so much more.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester post_id=4914 time=1573306189 user_id=62
And if it starts to rain I will just sit here, drinking coffee and pottering happily, although if Herself sees me I shall look glum because if I look as though I am enjoying myself, she will find me another dozen jobs.

And this, ladies and gents, is why retirement is not for me

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=4916 time=1573306307 user_id=48
Business as usual then? :-P

Pretty much.  

I have plans to replace the floor in the downstairs loo, which should take an hour or so. I reckon I can pad it out over three days.

She has been watching my lack of progress and sighing and asking what is the hold up, so I suggested that we pay someone to do the job, which shocked her to the core of her honest Yorkshire soul.  So I am safe for a few more days  :D
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester post_id=4914 time=1573306189 user_id=62
Oh. Alright. Well, I have to confess that although I have been all over the internet and rowing with all and sundry, I feel pretty good. If it stops raining for a bit I might pop up to the allotment and put in a few onions and see if the local builders' merchant has a pair of uprights for some shelves I am putting up. He is closing down so is selling of his stock for washers so I might give me a good price.

And if it starts to rain I will just sit here, drinking coffee and pottering happily, although if Herself sees me I shall look glum because if I look as though I am enjoying myself, she will find me another dozen jobs.

Business as usual then? :-P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=4892 time=1573302250 user_id=48
OK so as usual threads drift so you might find your posts end up here,better than wholesale culls and you can drift to your hearts content (forum rules still apply)

Oh. Alright. Well, I have to confess that although I have been all over the internet and rowing with all and sundry, I feel pretty good. If it stops raining for a bit I might pop up to the allotment and put in a few onions and see if the local builders' merchant has a pair of uprights for some shelves I am putting up. He is closing down so is selling of his stock for washers so I might give me a good price.

Algerie Francais !

cromwell

OK so as usual threads drift so you might find your posts end up here,better than wholesale culls and you can drift to your hearts content (forum rules still apply)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?