Off topic thread (to the tower)

Started by cromwell, November 09, 2019, 12:24:10 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=11964 time=1578069396 user_id=62
For someone who has so little contact with the Brew it is interesting that you have kept up with the various changes in nomenclature.

I have had far more contact with the DWP/JobCentre Plus than I would like. Helping people who have been outright lied to by  DWP/JobCentre Plus and/or generally messed about, harassed, and denied benefit that they were entitled to.

The DWP/JobCentre Plus has been unfit for purpose and a rogue department that should have been shut down years ago. Also none of its functions should have been contracted out to companies who are not fit to have contracts with the DWP/JobCentre Plus.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=11961 time=1578067924 user_id=89
The DHSS not existed for decades. I have NEVER owned a new motorcycle. My PRIVATE pension is my spending money for holidays.

My Old Age Pension was paid for by over 45 years of contributions.

I resent your implications which are VERY offensive.

For someone who has so little contact with the Brew it is interesting that you have kept up with the various changes in nomenclature.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester post_id=11960 time=1578067480 user_id=62
Depends Tommy.

Taxation on investment income is pretty erratic. The general idea is that HMRC take 10% at source and pick up the rest when you send in your SA100 (or whatever it is called this week). But if you don't bother with annual returns (which and please don't tell Pappy because he will blow a gasket, the revenue consider a pain in the arse) then it is unlikely anyone will chase you up. Bear in mind that HMRC pick up half a penny in the pound every time anyone buys a share and considering just how many shares are traded in the UK, you can see that

(a) HMRC is not missing much

(b) it is no wonder that the DHSS can afford to buy Pappy a new motor bike and give him the fare to his French holiday home.

Anyway, please continue this debate which I am enjoying although finding fascinating.

:lol:

No worries borkie , i keep forgetting you used to work for them .

Just having a giggle wae the wiggle. ;)
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=11960 time=1578067480 user_id=62

(b) it is no wonder that the DHSS can afford to buy Pappy a new motor bike and give him the fare to his French holiday home.

The DHSS not existed for decades. I have NEVER owned a new motorcycle. My PRIVATE pension is my spending money for holidays.

My Old Age Pension was paid for by over 45 years of contributions.

I resent your implications which are VERY offensive.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11922 time=1578050935 user_id=58
I have read your posts correctly.

Thats why i was able to pick you up on the inconsistent rubbish you write about being a taxpayer one minute, but not the next. :lol:

Benefit cheats will get the money off you somehow wiggy , through your indirect taxation ....golf club fees , money spent every afternoon down the pub etc.

:hattip

Thanks for being so considerate to those less fortunate than you wigg. :thup:

Depends Tommy.

Taxation on investment income is pretty erratic. The general idea is that HMRC take 10% at source and pick up the rest when you send in your SA100 (or whatever it is called this week). But if you don't bother with annual returns (which and please don't tell Pappy because he will blow a gasket, the revenue consider a pain in the arse) then it is unlikely anyone will chase you up. Bear in mind that HMRC pick up half a penny in the pound every time anyone buys a share and considering just how many shares are traded in the UK, you can see that

(a) HMRC is not missing much

Anyway, please continue this debate which I am enjoying although finding fascinating.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=11954 time=1578062740 user_id=87
 I just disagree with the reason.

That is because you need, (very badly,) a disability awareness course. Your woeful ignorance shows every time you post.

Suggested reading:-

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/help-for-disabled-travellers1/motability-scheme/getting-a-motability-car/">https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... ility-car/">https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/help-for-disabled-travellers1/motability-scheme/getting-a-motability-car/

Wiggles

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=11941 time=1578053896 user_id=89
So what? (Seriously.)  To get sufficient benefit to pay the lease on a Motability car, means having sufficient PROVEN reasons to get the benefit.

You are just jealous. Do you want to be disabled just to be able to lease one of those cars?

I am aware why they get it, I just disagree with the reason. It could be argued that if your unemployed and looking for work, you need a car to get you to interviews. Once you have a job you then need a car to get you to work. However, these people don't qualify. Ultimately, we all need to get around, but we aren't all given cars.

I know you don't want examples, and you never believe them anyone, but a good friend of mine has a mildly disabled son. He gets full disability allowance and uses it to lease a Mobility vehicle. In his words, not mine, if he wasn't given this vehicle he would buy one anyway. The friend in question is very well off, but this benefit isn't means tested.
A hand up, not a hand out

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=11916 time=1578047296 user_id=87
Thomas, I wish you would read my posts correctly. It was my neighbour who just took delivery of a brand new ford, care of the Motobility scheme.

So what? (Seriously.)  To get sufficient benefit to pay the lease on a Motability car, means having sufficient PROVEN reasons to get the benefit.

You are just jealous. Do you want to be disabled just to be able to lease one of those cars?

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=11927 time=1578052001 user_id=89
Most of the welfare bill is pensions.

we already told him that earlier up the thread pappy , but im afraid wiggy is short of memory.

He must be rained off from golf this morning and not yet arrived at the pub. :lol:

Of the £217 billion spent on welfare payments in 2016-17, around 59 per cent was paid to pensioners, with state pensions the largest single item at £92 billion.
[/b]

https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/brief-guides-and-explainers/an-obr-guide-to-welfare-spending/">https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/brief ... -spending/">https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/brief-guides-and-explainers/an-obr-guide-to-welfare-spending/

Thomas

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=11926 time=1578051703 user_id=87
That I can't disagree with you on. In fact, the countries welfare bill is larger than income tax revenue. If I was in charge, that's something that would change very quickly

The welfare bill consists of pensions , which is money belonging to us that we all pay into.( not to mention wider taxation)

Taking away our own pension money from the welfare bill , income tax revenue more than covers the remainder.

For example in this link income tax receipts for year ending 2017 were £177.07 billion ,

https://www.statista.com/statistics/284306/united-kingdom-hmrc-tax-receipts-income-tax/">https://www.statista.com/statistics/284 ... ncome-tax/">https://www.statista.com/statistics/284306/united-kingdom-hmrc-tax-receipts-income-tax/

and the welfare bill excluding pensions for the same year was  £153 billion.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/howisthewelfarebudgetspent/2016-03-16">https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governme ... 2016-03-16">https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/howisthewelfarebudgetspent/2016-03-16

So what are you talking about now?

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=11926 time=1578051703 user_id=87
That I can't disagree with you on. In fact, the countries welfare bill is larger than income tax revenue. If I was in charge, that's something that would change very quickly

Most of the welfare bill is pensions.

Wiggles

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11922 time=1578050935 user_id=58

Thats why i was able to pick you up on the inconsistent rubbish you write about being a taxpayer one minute, but not the next. :lol:

Benefit cheats will get the money off you somehow wiggy , through your indirect taxation ....golf club fees , money spent every afternoon down the pub etc.

Thomas

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=11916 time=1578047296 user_id=87
Thomas, I wish you would read my posts correctly.

Wiggles

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11877 time=1577993931 user_id=58
Cant be too many people retired at 57 , with enough savings in the bank to live off (bragging us hes got money) did a part time job last year in to the bargain( presumably still in this tax year which doesnt finish till april) and not paying taxes and yet still maintaining the lifestyle of spending his mornings ( according to his latest bragging) down the golf course , and the afternoon in the pub.

Earlier in the thread i thought he told us he only just bought a brand new ford car?

:roll:

Thomas, I wish you would read my posts correctly. It was my neighbour who just took delivery of a brand new ford, care of the Motobility scheme. As it happens I do own a few reasonably new cars, and a 65 year old classic. Yes, I did a part time job for a few months last year. I am extremely disciplined with my money, as I have no income other than a bit of interest on my savings. I also work a day a week for nothing at a local animal charity. I went on a golf trip which wasn't budgeted for, and my classic car had a big repair bill. Fortunately I didn't have to pay tax on what I earned. If I were a scrounger (like so many in our community) I could claim job seekers allowance for 6 months, but my conscience stops me from doing so. Perhaps there needs to be more people like me in our society, rather than than the millions with their hands out all the time.

Wiggles

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=11882 time=1577994479 user_id=89
Frankly I don't believe a word he writes. I am convinced he is a Tory HQ Troll.

I think your jealous. I worked hard and saved hard. My savings accompanied by some equity allowed me to retire at 57, and live off of savings. This isn't hard, and you don't need a lot f money to do it, as it only takes about £35k a year for two people to live on comfortably if you don't have a mortgage, and we only have to do that for eight years. Many people are in the same position, but they don't think to do it.

I don't consider myself a Tory, as I believe they a fair way left of my politics. That said, they were the only viable option in the last general election, as I considered the rest bordering on communism.