What did you have for high tea?

Started by Sheepy, November 30, 2020, 05:51:56 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on November 30, 2020, 06:04:37 PM
Call that High Tea? No way!

High tea is thinly cut sandwiches with assorted fillings eg Ham, Cheese, Cucumber or possibly egg, followed by a decadent trifle which can vary according to preference and a piece of cake either fruit or classic sponge. Sandwiches should be without crusts and cake can be replaced with small individual cakes, but everything must be daintily served. Most would expect Earl Grey tea in bone china cups with saucers.

The last time I had 'high tea' was about a year and a half ago, on the promenade at Clevedon, in the garden seating area of 'Number Five'

A rather serious selection of sandwiches, served on a silver dish if course, accompanied by made-on-the-premises scones and jam and clotted cream enough to frighten MY arteries, which unlike the rest of me, are slippery as Tony Blair's teflon suit.

But the time before that ....

It was 1978, and Moira and I were off for a week's fornication at the United Reformed Church's summer conference at the Hayes Conference Centre, Swanwick, near Alfreton.

The afternoon teas were to die for.

So when we took the coach trip to the Ladybower Dam where the Lancaster's practised their bombing runs ... We were rather sad that we were going to miss them.

We need not have fretted.

We came back to the coach park and were quite gobsmacked.

The coach driver and two of the centre staff who had come along had opened up the cargo bay under the coach and rolled out trestle tables, chairs, tablecloths, and several huge picnic hampers from which all manner of goodies were served up.

Including the chef's signature lemon drizzle cake and ginger cake. Both of which were quite utterly to die for ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

I won a sweep in the boozer  a couple of years back the prize being a day at Windsor Castle with ' high tea '  . I was led to believe so called due to the plates of goodies being stacked , high .

Wether true or not I have never questioned but suffice to say the best part of the day was visiting the 'Windsor Castle ' on the way back to the train station where at least I had the opportunity to wash down whatever it was with a couple of pints

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on November 30, 2020, 06:39:00 PM
Oh don't be so hard - he could have stayed in the boot room!
I like it Toots leave him in the Boot room, just one thing, what the hell is a boot room, is that where the whips and things are kept?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 30, 2020, 06:56:06 PM
Only £55 for high tea. (No mini kebabs.)

https://www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/browns-hotel/restaurants-and-bars/the-drawing-room/menus/

So what are those things on the middle level with a dip? It looks like cheese +?? on sticks. Definitely pleb food!

Sheepy

Bloody hell you riffraff, youse is getting educated about high tea here you know.

Mod edit

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 30, 2020, 06:51:34 PM
That's just the ticket except the bread is just a little too thick and should be in triangles....and are they mini kebabs? Oh dear no no no!!!

Only £55 for high tea. (No mini kebabs.)

https://www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/browns-hotel/restaurants-and-bars/the-drawing-room/menus/
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 30, 2020, 06:19:21 PM
A very long time ago I had a high tea like this one:-

That's just the ticket except the bread is just a little too thick and should be in triangles....and are they mini kebabs? Oh dear no no no!!!

Nick

As I am in Italy I had pizza. Bloody lovely it was also.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on November 30, 2020, 06:11:49 PM
I had a high tea once many years ago,flask of tea and dockers doorstep corn dog and tomato butties somewhere near the summit of kinder scout. :P :P

How absolutely fucking common.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on November 30, 2020, 05:51:56 PM
I just had sustainably fished fish finger sandwiches with Tomato sauce, none of that microwaved chicken curry for me.

High tea?

Depends where you go in scotland sheep as to what "high tea" actually means.

Here on the glasgow riviera in govan , high tea is traditionally "bredele" with cremant d`alsace washed down by a fine bottle of muscat .

Over in the shitholes of scotland where the absolute riff raff of the day live like edinburgh or the kingdom of fife , high tea is slang for a square go in the park.

QuoteA MUM met an enemy in a playpark at midnight for a "square go" watched by a circle of five other women.

Margaret Carr, 37, was angry because the other woman, who wasn't named, had "issues" with her teenage daughter.

Falkirk Sheriff Court heard the racket made by the skirmish alerted bobbies on the beat in Methil, Fife.

Prosecutor Caitlin French said: "Around midnight, police officers were carrying out foot patrols and became aware of a number of females shouting in a park nearby.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5539251/fife-mum-social-distancing-square-go-playpark/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=scottishsunfacebook&utm_source=Facebook#comments

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on November 30, 2020, 06:18:31 PM
That is because you are common innit.  You wouldn't be invited to Toots for high tea; you would come covered in Tomato sauce and likely have bad manners.

Oh don't be so hard - he could have stayed in the boot room!

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on November 30, 2020, 06:04:37 PM
Call that High Tea? No way!

High tea is thinly cut sandwiches with assorted fillings eg Ham, Cheese, Cucumber or possibly egg, followed by a decadent trifle which can vary according to preference and a piece of cake either fruit or classic sponge. Sandwiches should be without crusts and cake can be replaced with small individual cakes, but everything must be daintily served. Most would expect Earl Grey tea in bone china cups with saucers.
I didn't know that Toots, so no fishfinger sandwiches then? will a little blaspheming around the table be OK?

papasmurf

A very long time ago I had a high tea like this one:-

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on November 30, 2020, 06:11:49 PM
I had a high tea once many years ago,flask of tea and dockers doorstep corn dog and tomato butties somewhere near the summit of kinder scout. :P :P
That is because you are common innit.  You wouldn't be invited to Toots for high tea; you would come covered in Tomato sauce and likely have bad manners.