The Queen shows great leadership

Started by Sheepy, December 02, 2020, 11:01:06 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on December 02, 2020, 05:57:42 PM
If you had a family like the queens they wouldn't want to come.

My wife and I prefer Christmas on our own anyway. (Off topic but I noted today NATO razor wire is only £30 per 100 metres.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on December 02, 2020, 05:13:06 PM
If I had a family like the Queen, I would not want to see them at Christmas either.
If you had a family like the queens they wouldn't want to come.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on December 02, 2020, 04:59:59 PM
Sheep do the english still have that law in place about only a white european protestant being allowed to ascend the throne and become head of state?

Bet the twitler youth and wokerati as well as BLM wont be too pleased if that is the case. ;)
I don't think so, Parliament changed it in 2013 I think.  So the twitterarti can't shout about that one.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

If I had a family like the Queen, I would not want to see them at Christmas either.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on December 02, 2020, 04:12:57 PM
Well I don't know about that Pat, Charlies green army are a bit sketchy.

Sheep do the english still have that law in place about only a white european protestant being allowed to ascend the throne and become head of state?

Bet the twitler youth and wokerati as well as BLM wont be too pleased if that is the case. ;)
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

patman post

Quote from: Sheepy on December 02, 2020, 04:12:57 PM
Luckily her garments were, and are, a bit stretchy. But the only gardening programme I watch, anywhere near regularly, is the Monty Don one...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: patman post on December 02, 2020, 12:53:05 PM
I have found in my 39 years that there are some conundrums that are solved satisfactorily using a type of fuzzy logic — I see a constitutional monarch as the UK (and other democratic countries) have as a decorative, practical and useful asset despite also appearing anachronistic.

The continuing mess of the US presidential election shows the shortcomings of combining the role of head of state with an elected time limited administration. For-life and elected heads of state without political power have all the charisma of a regimental mascot goat — though perhaps the Pope transcends all that for some people.

While the hereditary system limits the candidates for the job, the sitting-by-Nelly training technique has worked for the UK and the other countries that have the UK's monarch as their own head of state. They bring a sense of community, continuity, and endurance in addition to acting as steadying sounding boards for the administration. The expense is not that great and the monarchy is not causing unrest in the streets...

LOL  :D.

When barack obama became the first black us president , we were told it showed how great the yank presidential system was .

When trump became president , we were told how bad it was and how the USA was full of racist redknecks.

The uk has so far been blessed with a monarch and head of state who has served long and well and barely put a foot wrong in all her time as the queen.

....but as history shows , just like good and bad yank presidents , you get good and bad monarchs in your yookay.

Whose to say charles or wullie is going to be similarly well respected and loved and admired when they don the baubles?

......and if that day comes that the monarchy loses respect , im sure opportunists and those who run with the hares and chase with the hounds will then similarly be talking about changing the system.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on December 02, 2020, 12:53:05 PM
I have found in my 39 years that there are some conundrums that are solved satisfactorily using a type of fuzzy logic — I see a constitutional monarch as the UK (and other democratic countries) have as a decorative, practical and useful asset despite also appearing anachronistic.

The continuing mess of the US presidential election shows the shortcomings of combining the role of head of state with an elected time limited administration. For-life and elected heads of state without political power have all the charisma of a regimental mascot goat — though perhaps the Pope transcends all that for some people.

While the hereditary system limits the candidates for the job, the sitting-by-Nelly training technique has worked for the UK and the other countries that have the UK's monarch as their own head of state. They bring a sense of community, continuity, and endurance in addition to acting as steadying sounding boards for the administration. The expense is not that great and the monarchy is not causing unrest in the streets...

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Perhaps they feel as I do that it is not worth the aggro this Christmas. A few discussions with my kids made us all realise that one Christmas without the pressure would benefit us all. They no longer have to worry about infecting me. I will see all my grandkids via skype. We must all realise that Covid cases will most probably rise immediately after Christmas so I don't see much point in increasing risk for all.

Barry

Andrew is not welcome.
Nor is Harry and his Mrs.
Princess Anne does her own thing.
Charles and queen Camilla in waiting are miffed she hasn't abdicated yet.

Maybe Kate, William and the kids will pop in for a quick hug, a glass of sherry and open a few pressies for the kids.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/queen-and-philip-showing-real-leadership-with-christmas-plans-royal-expert/ar-BB1bx7F4?ocid=msedgntp
Is it just me, or is this dripping with sarcasm?
The Queen was ushered off to Windsor the best part of 9 months ago, just before the great Covid declaration where suddenly her son and the Prime Minster became victims because they dared shake hands, while not wearing masks and have since become great Covid believers, an imprisoned leader can hardly show great leadership while obviously being told what she should say and should and shouldn't do. In any other sense it would be a coup and not a chicken coup.
I cannot be bothered going over the finer points of her dynasty being under full on attack by the power of media. True or otherwise.