£50 billion in cash "missing."

Started by papasmurf, December 04, 2020, 09:15:58 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 04, 2020, 11:06:52 AM
Do you have a sense of humour blockage?

Oh, we're allowed humour when you do it are we? But you flip when someone jokes about Britney!

The difference is there is nothing funny in your above post.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on December 04, 2020, 11:17:32 AM
It seems an unreasonably large number when it's compared against the total paper money circulation of the Bank of England, which is approximately 71 Billion Pounds.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statistics/banknote

It does, but filthy rich people never have any cash. Perhaps people are just keeping it under the bed. (Shared between 28 million households it is not that large a figure each.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: Sheepy on December 04, 2020, 11:11:21 AM
Or in other words, £50 billion is in circulation they have no tabs on, which is why you need a cashless society, the average person will be outraged that somebody has that 50 billion. Well, I sure don't have it. Neither does every other Mr and Mrs average. Maybe the woke crew have it.

It seems an unreasonably large number when it's compared against the total paper money circulation of the Bank of England, which is approximately 71 Billion Pounds.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statistics/banknote
Don't believe everything you think.

Sheepy

Or in other words, £50 billion is in circulation they have no tabs on, which is why you need a cashless society, the average person will be outraged that somebody has that 50 billion. Well, I sure don't have it. Neither does every other Mr and Mrs average. Maybe the woke crew have it.
After all they are the ones flaunting it at Davos and jetting around the globe giving it the large one and saving everyone with playing the minds of youth.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 04, 2020, 10:57:40 AM
Do you have an issue with people doing well and being rich?

Or is it just anyone who is in the Conservative party?

Do you have a sense of humour blockage?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 04, 2020, 10:51:04 AM
Possible suspects:-

Do you have an issue with people doing well and being rich?

Or is it just anyone who is in the Conservative party?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Barry

Interesting, it's about £750 per person, not much for the average drug dealer or people trafficker, but more than I ever have.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Just checked my wife and I have just over £100 in cash in the house. So where is the rest of the £50 billion?

More at link:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55173402

Call for probe into 'missing' £50bn of UK cash
Published9 hours ago

The Bank of England should be trying to track down £50bn of "missing" UK currency, a committee of MPs has said.

The cash is not used in transactions or held as savings, but may be overseas, tucked away in homes unreported or being used in the "shadow economy".

The issue was first identified by the National Audit Office (NAO), which highlighted it in September.

Now the Public Accounts Committee has said the Bank should "get a better handle" on the currency.

The committee said there were "implications for public policy and the public purse" if a material proportion of that large volume of banknotes was being used for illegal purposes.

However, the UK is not the only country to face this problem - and other major global currencies could well be more seriously affected.