Why I love my Border Collie

Started by Sheepy, December 04, 2020, 11:48:48 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

We've has six in all one who was a rescue GSD Collie cross,loved them all but the best was a rescue mongrel,he was a gem.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 04, 2020, 05:13:48 PM
Looks like the border collie  is a forum favourite . Ive had three . One when  I was a kid that went everywhere with me . Number two had an intelligence beyond dog and human alike and l had 18 brilliant years with her . My last collie was a bit of a runt and always at the vets . A clever little soul all the same and we lost her 4 years ago .

I havent the energy or the time anymore to be a friend to a BC . The Mrs now working from home has mentioned getting another and has  said  even a  little  dog would keep her company during the day . I not so sure though .

Have had 8 or 9 in the family since I was a nipper, all of them different. One chased (and sadly caught cars), the last was was the runt bitch of the litter and was soft as anything. All of them hyper intelligent.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Never allowed a dog as a child with a mother who, when she was a girl, was attacked by a German Shepherd. The story was horrific but in fact she was just pinned against a wall with no real damage apart from her terror which she imparted to me throughout childhood. The result was that I too was terrified until I grew up and had my first home.

I added a dog. It was part collie from the local shelter and in a flat it was useless so I reluctantly rehomed her. She had a happy life.

I waited a few years and in a house with garden etc I discovered that my breed of choice was German Shepherd. I went on to have several over the years - all obedience trained and faithful companions. I had 3 experiences with Collies. The first was a marl, I now realise from a Welsh puppy farm. He had blue eyes and it wasn't long before we realised he was deaf. This was impossible with 2 small children but they replaced him with a Yellow Labrador who I thought would be a good fit with the kids. They all grew up together. My next Collie was bought as a farm dog where they had bred their Retriever with a neighbouring Lab. Sadly they hadn't realised that the collie from the next farm had also got there! I actually chose and paid for a quiet bitch but the dog puppy wrecking the place was so obviously part Collie I just couldn't leave him there and knew we would fit. It was hard work. He was a real character with a strong intelligent mind of his own. He tested the whole family as he matured but ended up as the best dog I ever had. He never left my side. As he aged and became more frail I knew that one day he would tell me he had had enough. The vet came to us, telling us that everything had shut down except his head.  She struggled to find a vein and he mustered the strength to growl at the vet nurse who couldn't get near him. I held him 'til he was gone and the look in his eyes as we said our goodbyes stays with me 'til this day.

My last dog was a rescue. I was told he was about 1 yr old and a collie cross. Nothing about him made me think he had any Collie in him at all. A DNA test proved he was mostly German Shepherd, so I was back to my preferred breed. All black and very big he terrified everyone initially. People would cross the road to stay away. It took a while but he turned into a real gentleman who everyone loved and trusted. His obedience was superb and like my Collie x Retriever before him was sign language trained. I lost him a coupe of years ago to cancer,  I won't have another.

Streetwalker

Looks like the border collie  is a forum favourite . Ive had three . One when  I was a kid that went everywhere with me . Number two had an intelligence beyond dog and human alike and l had 18 brilliant years with her . My last collie was a bit of a runt and always at the vets . A clever little soul all the same and we lost her 4 years ago .

I havent the energy or the time anymore to be a friend to a BC . The Mrs now working from home has mentioned getting another and has  said  even a  little  dog would keep her company during the day . I not so sure though .

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on December 04, 2020, 11:48:48 AM
I always have a border collie, because they are super intelligent and have traits that make me smile, she can spell and understand a conversation, she needs to know everything that is going on around her and get nervous around unknown new things, she doesn't mind fireworks and likes watching them, she does have certain traits though, like nipping at the heels of people she feels are not doing it right because in her eyes we are all sheep anyway, she likes to to pretend she can catch cars and hides behind other cars that are stationary when they are coming down or up the road so she can surprise them from behind. Although of course it is just a game, she only jumps out, she knows she will never catch one, she tells me when it is bedtime by sitting and glaring at me. When I get to the top of the stairs, she barks to hurry me up. She can also tell the time, do you know, I reckon she is the smart one.

Had to have ours put down 3 months ago, she was 13 and we'd had her since she was an egg. She used to herd the children when they were younger.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on December 04, 2020, 11:48:48 AM
I always have a border collie, because they are super intelligent and have traits that make me smile, she can spell and understand a conversation, she needs to know everything that is going on around her and get nervous around unknown new things, she doesn't mind fireworks and likes watching them, she does have certain traits though, like nipping at the heels of people she feels are not doing it right because in her eyes we are all sheep anyway, she likes to to pretend she can catch cars and hides behind other cars that are stationary when they are coming down or up the road so she can surprise them from behind. Although of course it is just a game, she only jumps out, she knows she will never catch one, she tells me when it is bedtime by sitting and glaring at me. When I get to the top of the stairs, she barks to hurry me up. She can also tell the time, do you know, I reckon she is the smart one.

Some friends have a farm and a succession of sheep dogs called, yes, Lassie. They are definitely working dogs so that while they like a bit of petting, after a while they give you a look as though to say yes well, enough, lets not act bloody soft. And while they are ok when you are in a group, they don't really like folk that break away and tend to herd them back into the rest of the flock.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!