Macron v UK + EU

Started by T00ts, December 04, 2020, 02:24:56 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Sheepy on December 23, 2020, 04:27:35 PM
you ain't coming out until March, by which time you will realise Westminster has saved you and you will be in awe.  ::)

More chance of  the Turkey in he fridge flying south for winter

Sheepy

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 23, 2020, 03:40:15 PM
Indeed he was .  One of the few Tories I have any  time for though dont take that as a sign of trust . 

'' Repeat after me , single market membership and single market access are not the same thing ''   Dan Hannan

https://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2016/09/daniel-hannan-repeat-after-me-single-market-membership-and-single-market-access-are-not-the-same-thing.html
you ain't coming out until March, by which time you will realise Westminster has saved you and you will be in awe.  ::)
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on December 12, 2020, 01:36:03 AM
he was the one talking about it. Others were listening

Indeed he was .  One of the few Tories I have any  time for though dont take that as a sign of trust . 

'' Repeat after me , single market membership and single market access are not the same thing ''   Dan Hannan

https://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2016/09/daniel-hannan-repeat-after-me-single-market-membership-and-single-market-access-are-not-the-same-thing.html

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on December 23, 2020, 03:26:50 PM
Fish Pie? Or maybe Christmas pie?
More likely Cornish Stargazey Pie...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 23, 2020, 03:26:50 PM

It would take a massive cultural change to get the British to eat more fish especially fresh fish and shellfish.
Currently 80% of the total British catch is exported, (that rises to over 90%,) Where I live.
A few decades ago there were many thousands of fish mongers in Britain now there are few. Because like it or not the British unless it is wrapped in batter do not in general terms eat much fish, even less eat fresh fish or shell fish.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 23, 2020, 03:11:07 PM
That is frankly pie in the sky.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on December 23, 2020, 03:01:35 PM

3. Less fish will be imported into the UK as more of the UK's own catch will sold here and we will be taxing some imported fish to reduce demand.

That is frankly pie in the sky.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baff

Quote from: Good old on December 12, 2020, 10:24:15 AM
Very soon now ,  the talking stops, the posturing stops.
Nope.
That part is eternal.

Baff

Quote from: HDQQ on December 12, 2020, 09:33:56 AM
So this morning it's announced that 4 Royal Navy ships are going to patrol UK fishing waters, presumably to keep fishing boats from EU countries out of areas where they've previously been able to fish legally.

How's this going to affect: 1) The rights of British fishing boats in EU waters; 2) British fish and seafood exports to the EU and 3) EU fish an seafood imports to Britain?  Not well, in each case, I guess.

Anyway why should I care as I never eat fish or other seafood!
1. They won't have any rights to fish in EU waters unless they arrange to do so with the EU.

2. Some British seafood exports to the EU will be taxed in the EU.
Raising the cost to the consumer and hence lowering demand.
They will still however be the cheapest and freshest on sale in that market place.
Supply of fish in the EU will be greatly reduced, further increasing prices to the consumer.
These increases in prices will convince British fishermen to invest in equipment to capitalise on their own matching increase in available supply and market demand.

3. Less fish will be imported into the UK as more of the UK's own catch will sold here and we will be taxing some imported fish to reduce demand.

T00ts

I have just seen a headline saying that clearance of the holding pens at Dover will take days so those poor blokes can forget their Christmases.

Macron it seems has caused an absolute furore which looks as though it will backfire bigtime. Maybe the pressure is turning towards him now. If part of his plan was to suggest a pre-Brexit warning of the potential problems next year and increase the pressure on the UK it would seem that many EU members will be heating up the wires to Macron. We can't do the impossible and all can be laid at Macron's feet. Covid must gave clogged his brain. Perhaps he has the new covid.

Good old

Very soon now ,  the talking stops, the posturing stops. The he said, she said, they said. Might not stop.  But it will have no actual relevance .
The fact is it's almost time to taste reality. No guessing , no more project fears. No more seeking deals that could only ever have been a worse deal than the one we had. Just the reality of dealing with whatever the choice to row our own course will bring.
Good luck everyone. It's time to taste the dish we ordered.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on December 10, 2020, 04:46:29 PMDaniel Hannan said it "nobody is talking about us leaving the single market.
https://youtu.be/9fDn0MvcHQ4

Really Gerry? Do you want me to post the one where Clegg the liar says it many times too and then when confronted says oh no one watches political stuff.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on December 12, 2020, 09:33:56 AM
So this morning it's announced that 4 Royal Navy ships are going to patrol UK fishing waters, presumably to keep fishing boats from EU countries out of areas where they've previously been able to fish legally.

How's this going to affect: 1) The rights of British fishing boats in EU waters; 2) British fish and seafood exports to the EU and 3) EU fish an seafood imports to Britain?  Not well, in each case, I guess.

Well 19 days and we are in choppy waters sailor, we are expecting remain to pick over every scab possible, until they bleed, and they finally chew their arms off.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on December 11, 2020, 09:18:10 PM
Well he was wrong same as you cause everyone was talking about it.
he was the one talking about it. Others were listening