Macron v UK + EU

Started by T00ts, December 04, 2020, 02:24:56 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Thomas on December 05, 2020, 03:23:56 PMhave i missed something?
Yes you have, and it's probably my fault for being unclear

Let's back up.

Norway is, as you say, a big seafood exporter.

However, if you just looked at things like fishermen numbers, boats and catch you would assume it is in decline because they have all gone down.  However you would be incorrect (as you points out).

Things like declining fish stocks mean the catches have declined because of quotas to prevent overfishing

Technology means more can be done with fewer people (your printing example).

So even successful (non EU) Norway has seen a decline in numbers.

Now, to turn to the UK.

Much has been made about how the industry has been decimated because the number of fishermen, boats or catch has declined over the same time period.

I'm saying those figures aren't the whole story (as are you).

Even if the UK had never joined the EU a similar decline would have happened.  Given Norway exports over half of it's seafood exports to the EU assisted by various zero tariff quotas, it's unlikely Norway's fishing industry would be so successful if it had the same arrangements that British fishermen's will shortly face (i.e. none)

The UK industry is very successful. It has the 3rd largest catch in the EU behind Spain and Denmark. Spain catches half the fish the UK does in the NE Atlantic. It's higher catch stems from it's catches in the East Atlantic and Indian Ocean.  Denmark catches a shade more than the UK but that's down to it's fishing areas off the coast of Greenland.

There are undeniable pockets of deprevation in areas where fishing was a big employer. I would argue that is due to UK governments not helping those areas transition away from fishing and then blaming it on the EU. It's notable many of these areas have seen structural funding from the EU.

The key question, going forward, is will brexit help the UK fishing industry.  The indications are it won't because the problem is the UK exports alot of what it catches to the EU. If their access to that important market is compromised (as it will be in January) that has a direct negative effect on them

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on December 05, 2020, 03:35:54 PM
Oh I do agree but it would be nice to sock it to them for once if for no other reason than to send a signal that they are not all they crack themselves up to be. Remainers will never be put back in their box just as leavers have complained for the last 4 decades. Even when the EU implodes as it surely will, they will blame Brexit.
Well if I was them, I wouldn't start trying to use Biden, who in all honesty has a job to string a sentence together and can only just about manage to remember what he is told at the best of times, you can vote for who you like, but it don't mean the Trumpettes can't find out who has been dogging them all along.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on December 05, 2020, 03:28:42 PM
im not sure the uk is going to get any sort of a good deal , certainly anything that matters toots.

The eu cannot afford ( for its own survival) the uk to leave and thrive , and they  , and remainiacs like beelbeeb etc are going to do everything in their power to rubbish brexit.

The uk , both the government and brexiters need to stick to their guns and not cave into any eu demands.

Feck compromise , its another word for brexit in name only which remainers have been trying to sell from day one.

Get out in three weeks and get on with it.

Oh I do agree but it would be nice to sock it to them for once if for no other reason than to send a signal that they are not all they crack themselves up to be. Remainers will never be put back in their box just as leavers have complained for the last 4 decades. Even when the EU implodes as it surely will, they will blame Brexit.

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on December 05, 2020, 03:18:42 PM
So now they say crunch has arrived (again). BJ will talk to the EU Commission President woman but the really red hot calls will be between the 27 leaders. They say that all roads lead to London but I bet all phone calls lead to the Élisée  Palace. Macron will be primed to give one of the performances of his life as he musters all his command of theatrical coaching. I would love to listen in. Which leader will call him out? I bet it's a female. Now that could be Madame Macron, Angela Merkel or even Commission President Von Der Leyen even if Mrs Merkel's hand is up the back of her jacket.

I wonder who will get the EU equivalent of an Oscar?

im not sure the uk is going to get any sort of a good deal , certainly anything that matters toots.

The eu cannot afford ( for its own survival) the uk to leave and thrive , and they  , and remainiacs like beelbeeb etc are going to do everything in their power to rubbish brexit.

The uk , both the government and brexiters need to stick to their guns and not cave into any eu demands.

Feck compromise , its another word for brexit in name only which remainers have been trying to sell from day one.

Get out in three weeks and get on with it.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on December 05, 2020, 03:13:40 PM
Falling numbers of fishermen and boats doesn't mean a sector in decline.

In 1974 Norway had around 25,000 registered boats and over 35,000 fishermen

In 2020 that was 5,000 boats and 10,000 fishermen.

is this you going off at a tangent yet again when caught out telling remainer porkies?

I was in printing for years , and when i first strted on web presses there were 16 of us acorss two machines , that was eventually replaced by 4 of us on one machine that printed far more in colour what the old machines did.

So norways fishing fleet has got more efficient over the years and needed less men , so what? I didnt say falling numbers of boats and men meant a decline , you insinuated norways fishing/seafood industry is in decline , and a quick search proves you are talking bollocks.

They are the second bigest exporter of seafood in the entire world behind china , neither nation being in the eu , and norways industry leaders expect their  seafood and general aqua culture to grow massively so what are you actually talking about?

QuoteYet as you say their seafood industry is a huge exporter.

it is , and you inferred it was in decline. So you agree you were spinning nonsense as ever beelly?

QuoteIt's as if the employment numbers and fishing vessel numbers don't tell the whole story.....

Yes the UK fishing fleet is smaller and lands less than it used to. But that's because everyone's fleet is smaller and catches less than they did in the 70's.  Even the Norwegians

have i missed something?

Were have i inferred any of this? I havent once mentioned the uk fishing fleet being smaller than it used to because of the eu.

I said the fishermen voted to leave the eu becuase of long standing grievences right or wrong.

You are starting to get a bit javert like i nyour spinning and lies as time goes by beelbeeb.

T00ts

So now they say crunch has arrived (again). BJ will talk to the EU Commission President woman but the really red hot calls will be between the 27 leaders. They say that all roads lead to London but I bet all phone calls lead to the Élisée  Palace. Macron will be primed to give one of the performances of his life as he musters all his command of theatrical coaching. I would love to listen in. Which leader will call him out? I bet it's a female. Now that could be Madame Macron, Angela Merkel or even Commission President Von Der Leyen even if Mrs Merkel's hand is up the back of her jacket.

I wonder who will get the EU equivalent of an Oscar?

Thomas

Anyway where were we?

Ah we were waiting on gerry googling some information about ireland  , and beelbeeb was telling us how not being in the eu hasnt saved norways "booming " seafood industry and that brexit is really bad.

QuoteNorway expects more growth from its aquaculture sector

https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/aquaculture/norway-expects-more-growth-from-its-aquaculture-sector

Not sure where the word "decline " fits into it , but im sure beelbeeb can rustle up something to explain how bad things are for norway.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Thomas on December 05, 2020, 02:19:52 PMThats laughable spin. The common fisheries policy was one of the main reasons norway refused to join the eu  , and norway is the second biggest exporter of seafood in the entire world.

What decline are you trying to spin?

The only decline i have read about is seafood consumption among the norwegian people?
Falling numbers of fishermen and boats doesn't mean a sector in decline.

In 1974 Norway had around 25,000 registered boats and over 35,000 fishermen

In 2020 that was 5,000 boats and 10,000 fishermen.

Yet as you say their seafood industry is a huge exporter.

It's as if the employment numbers and fishing vessel numbers don't tell the whole story.....

Yes the UK fishing fleet is smaller and lands less than it used to. But that's because everyone's fleet is smaller and catches less than they did in the 70's.  Even the Norwegians

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on December 05, 2020, 03:07:21 PM
Not at all - I am engaging with him politely!

i admire your patience and self sacrifice.

If you just remember the main point of pappies dreary existence is to tell us that he hates everyone and everything and the tories are bad , then you wont go far wrong.

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on December 05, 2020, 03:00:54 PM
are you taking the proverbial piss out of pappy toots?

I am completely shocked. :o

Not at all - I am engaging with him politely!

Thomas

Quote"There is something deeply British about dogging." So goes the opinion of a Government cabinet minister, who according to the Sunday Times, also noted, possibly with a sneer: "Do Europeans even do dogging?"

KentOnline offers the promise that a "no-deal Brexit could lead to increased dogging in Kent lay-bys", a Great British hobby the minister says will be boosted by patriot British lorry drivers looking to alleviate the tedium of waiting in their cabs for paperwork to be sorted by engaging in traditional al fresco sex and voyeurism.

Dogging is now Great British Dogging. Look out for it on the BBC sports channels and a celebrity version on ITV 3.

https://www.anorak.co.uk/464511/

:D
LMFAO.

beelbeeb will be mortified.

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on December 05, 2020, 02:52:43 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on December 05, 2020, 02:33:35 PM
That man is an idiot.

Ok I'll buy it on approval. Compared to who or what?

are you taking the proverbial piss out of pappy toots?

I am completely shocked. :o

T00ts

That man is an idiot.

Ok I'll buy it on approval. Compared to who or what?

Thomas

That man is an idiot.

Here this might interest you pappy for when the end of the world comes at the end of the month. Lovely place to buy to cower in and live in perfect misery .

quite a respectable price and going for a complete give away price of 30 grand. No problem for a man of your wealth.

QuoteFormer ROC nuclear bunker and surroubding plot. Near St Agnes, Cornwall.
£30,000

QuoteDescription
Former St Agnes ROC bunker (still intact and useable) on small plot (approx 1/4 acre) of land with amazing 360 degree views, 2 miles from great surf beaches in beautiful Cornish countryside.
A plot of land adjacent available by arrangement.
Vehicle access up lane.
Offers over £30k invited for quick sale.
Serious buyers please PM. Any questions. I am entertaining offers currently.
N.B: offers now received up to £35k

The deeds have the bunker triangle itself. The "extra" unregistered (feel free to check land registry) rectangle (25m x 110m) is over halfway through the partition claim period. It is beyond the 4 years where anyone can object but requires ten (another 4) before it can be registered.
The garage at the top has already completed this process for the section nearest them. Valuation is for bunker plot alone, the rest is bonus

Thomas

That man is an idiot.

Send him the £100 to find out how gullible you are pappy?

meanwhile wheres your proof eveyone in cornwall has repented ?