Macron v UK + EU

Started by T00ts, December 04, 2020, 02:24:56 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on December 10, 2020, 02:50:31 AM
This is said over and over and still most on here don't understand the EU, 27 members and the council has 27 seats, one for each country plus 2 others. Together they decide the political and policy direction of the EU including foreign and security policies. No one country has more power than the other and decisions are either by majority or unanimity. The EU parliament will vote on new legislation proposals, there are 705 MEP's and each country has a different amount. Germany has 96, France 79 and Italy 76 then Spain 59. If all of those countries MEP's voted together they still wouldn't have a majority. How you thing Germany runs the show is beyond me.
The large countries want to Export to bring money into their country, having the EU gives them that market, what each country pays in is small money, roughly 1% of GDP. Germany takes less out so is the largest net contributor but zeroing tariffs is only part of the equation. the non tariff barriers can cost a lot more, delays, paperwork, restrictions on peoples movement, legal issues. The EU is the model for the future, bodies APEC, Mercosur, SAARC, EURASIAN CU, ACP, EAC, Cairns group and many more are all groups that combine to break down trade barriers but none as successful as the EU.
The Euro is failing ? at the start of brexit the EURO to Dollar was 1.1 now its around 1.2, the Euro is stronger. The pound to Euro was at 1.2 it's now 1.1 and falling. If a no deal is announced it will drop further. It's not the Euro that you should be worried about, look closer to home.

You sound like you are trying to convince yourself.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on December 10, 2020, 02:50:31 AM
This is said over and over and still most on here don't understand the EU, 27 members and the council has 27 seats, one for each country plus 2 others. Together they decide the political and policy direction of the EU including foreign and security policies. No one country has more power than the other and decisions are either by majority or unanimity. The EU parliament will vote on new legislation proposals, there are 705 MEP's and each country has a different amount. Germany has 96, France 79 and Italy 76 then Spain 59. If all of those countries MEP's voted together they still wouldn't have a majority. How you thing Germany runs the show is beyond me.
The large countries want to Export to bring money into their country, having the EU gives them that market, what each country pays in is small money, roughly 1% of GDP. Germany takes less out so is the largest net contributor but zeroing tariffs is only part of the equation. the non tariff barriers can cost a lot more, delays, paperwork, restrictions on peoples movement, legal issues. The EU is the model for the future, bodies APEC, Mercosur, SAARC, EURASIAN CU, ACP, EAC, Cairns group and many more are all groups that combine to break down trade barriers but none as successful as the EU.
The Euro is failing ? at the start of brexit the EURO to Dollar was 1.1 now its around 1.2, the Euro is stronger. The pound to Euro was at 1.2 it's now 1.1 and falling. If a no deal is announced it will drop further. It's not the Euro that you should be worried about, look closer to home.

No one cares gerry.

The uk voted to leave the eu , and midnight three weeks today , it will do so , probably without a deal.

Talk about flogging a dead horse. :)
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on December 10, 2020, 12:03:02 AMSo what? You are not part of the UK, you are not even a large player in the EU. Merkel runs it for now and Macron sees himself as her successor. All the hot air is simply that. It's a charade to convince the rest of the EU hangers on that the EU is a super power. The minute that Germany can see that it is no longer beneficial to them it will drop the rest of you without a thought. The Euro is already under question and bankers know it will fail. You would do better to make Plan B a priority.

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on December 09, 2020, 11:50:59 PM
The status quo would have been remain. The vote was to leave and 17m out of 66 voted for that. Nothing incorrect with what I said. It is a minority that wanted brexit, their may have been more but they didn't vote.
You could also say on 16m wanted to remain, but there could have been alot more.
The reality is the UK left with what a minority wanted. It's why major votes like this would have a qualifying majority of 60 or 70% in a vote. All water under the bridge at this stage, but not pathetic.

But next time you write "thats what the people voted for" just know your incorrect. You could say "of the people that voted that's what was wanted". I'm not trying to rehash the vote decision but there is a valid point to be made from this

THe big takeaway, the UK is divided, half want to remain, half want to leave (actually in recent polls the remain are in the majority) but leaving with no deal was NOT what was promised, expect if thi hard brexit happens that there will be a major backlash from the remain half of the UK.

Are you and the rest of the brexiteers prepared to pay the price, so all brexiteers pay an additional 10 or 15% income tax or take a 20% pension cut. The people that voted remain can then get a simular payrise to offset the brexit hit, the only fair thing to do.

So what? You are not part of the UK, you are not even a large player in the EU. Merkel runs it for now and Macron sees himself as her successor. All the hot air is simply that. It's a charade to convince the rest of the EU hangers on that the EU is a super power. The minute that Germany can see that it is no longer beneficial to them it will drop the rest of you without a thought. The Euro is already under question and bankers know it will fail. You would do better to make Plan B a priority.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on December 09, 2020, 10:23:32 PM
And it was 16m out of 66 that voted against Brexit, so either way you slice it Remain lost. Pathetic!!
The status quo would have been remain. The vote was to leave and 17m out of 66 voted for that. Nothing incorrect with what I said. It is a minority that wanted brexit, their may have been more but they didn't vote.
You could also say on 16m wanted to remain, but there could have been alot more.
The reality is the UK left with what a minority wanted. It's why major votes like this would have a qualifying majority of 60 or 70% in a vote. All water under the bridge at this stage, but not pathetic.

But next time you write "thats what the people voted for" just know your incorrect. You could say "of the people that voted that's what was wanted". I'm not trying to rehash the vote decision but there is a valid point to be made from this

THe big takeaway, the UK is divided, half want to remain, half want to leave (actually in recent polls the remain are in the majority) but leaving with no deal was NOT what was promised, expect if thi hard brexit happens that there will be a major backlash from the remain half of the UK.

Are you and the rest of the brexiteers prepared to pay the price, so all brexiteers pay an additional 10 or 15% income tax or take a 20% pension cut. The people that voted remain can then get a simular payrise to offset the brexit hit, the only fair thing to do.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on December 09, 2020, 02:36:07 PMit was 17m out of 66 that voted Brexit

And it was 16m out of 66 that voted against Brexit, so either way you slice it Remain lost. Pathetic!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: GerryT on December 09, 2020, 02:36:07 PM
I'm thinking that was the plan all along, but to add the intent ws to go no deal and blame the EU on it. The fact that Johnson decided to remove the clauses from the IMB yesterday, before his meeting tonight, to me is a signal that he will go home tomorrow with nothing agreed. He know's full well that a no deal and those clauses left there would have been a double "no deal" hit, as the Eu would have gone into "wall up" mode and so would the USA. This way he leaves with no deal, he can still do a deal with the USA and the EU will still be friends. In fact with Biden there the chance of a quick deal with the USA is now more likely, say in the next 5 to 7 years.

Doesn't piss me off, I'm disappointed that a deal couldn't be struck as that would have been good for the UK and EU/IRL, it was 17m out of 66 that voted Brexit, so no its not all the UK. Your lucky I'm here to help balance the anti hate rhetoric that emanates about the EU, just trying to strike a little balance around here.

It is difficult to know what the plan was. I know you have me down as some kind of Brexit supporter, but as I've pointed out repeatedly, I didn't vote to leave. That said, the anti-democratic behaviour of many remainer's is what pisses me off

I hope you are right, but it wouldn't be beyond reasonable to think Johnson might rock up back from Brussels with some sort of deal tomorrow, which (provided he doesn't cross his own party's red lines), would make him look like a saviour. His hero is Churchill, but he might end up looking more like Chamberlain waving a piece of paper  :D

Tbh Gerry, I've stopped caring about it either way now. Its been going on so long I'm immune to it.

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 08, 2020, 05:59:42 PM
You know what, Gerry? I think none of the UK negotiating team give a flying feck anymore. They don't want a deal. They are doing this all on purpose now. Just to piss off paddies like you, with nothing else in their lives to do other than hang around on Brit politics forums telling everyone else what a bunch of ****s they all are  :D

About right. If there was anything really important left to settle we would have heard about it by now. But come the New Year our drug dealers will still be buying Hun Beamers and the EU will accept that loathsome as our bankers are, they are slightly less loathsome than their European counterparts. And Gerry will still be in a frenzy at his dream of the fall of the British Empire and wondering why the Irish Republic is not on the London Tube map.

So, no real change. :)

Mod Edit (crom)
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 08, 2020, 05:59:42 PMYou know what, Gerry? I think none of the UK negotiating team give a flying feck anymore. They don't want a deal. They are doing this all on purpose now.
I'm thinking that was the plan all along, but to add the intent ws to go no deal and blame the EU on it. The fact that Johnson decided to remove the clauses from the IMB yesterday, before his meeting tonight, to me is a signal that he will go home tomorrow with nothing agreed. He know's full well that a no deal and those clauses left there would have been a double "no deal" hit, as the Eu would have gone into "wall up" mode and so would the USA. This way he leaves with no deal, he can still do a deal with the USA and the EU will still be friends. In fact with Biden there the chance of a quick deal with the USA is now more likely, say in the next 5 to 7 years.

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 08, 2020, 05:59:42 PMJust to piss off paddies like you, with nothing else in their lives to do other than hang around on Brit politics forums telling everyone else what a bunch of ****s they all are 
Doesn't piss me off, I'm disappointed that a deal couldn't be struck as that would have been good for the UK and EU/IRL, it was 17m out of 66 that voted Brexit, so no its not all the UK. Your lucky I'm here to help balance the anti hate rhetoric that emanates about the EU, just trying to strike a little balance around here.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: GerryT on December 07, 2020, 07:08:09 PMAll thats left is no-deal which is still my bet or a bare bones deal

You know what, Gerry? I think none of the UK negotiating team give a flying feck anymore. They don't want a deal. They are doing this all on purpose now. Just to piss off paddies like you, with nothing else in their lives to do other than hang around on Brit politics forums telling everyone else what a bunch of ****s they all are  :D

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on December 08, 2020, 12:31:22 PM
what like stick with bombarding the Irish with your EU propaganda, they like it.

again more meaningless tripe, makes no sense. Like I say if you have a point to make I'll debate but at this point I'll be ignoring any vague meaningless dribble you post

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on December 08, 2020, 12:21:25 PM
Sheep if you have a point to make, make it. Your talking in riddles and make no sense. Really little sound bites that could mean anything.
what like stick with bombarding the Irish with your EU propaganda, they like it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on December 07, 2020, 07:55:37 PMYou did plenty Gerry, you denied the Irish people their right of democracy.
Sheep if you have a point to make, make it. Your talking in riddles and make no sense. Really little sound bites that could mean anything.

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on December 07, 2020, 07:18:07 PMAhhh there's the real truth! Hence the panic!

I've always said that others, like IRL will feel pain, 10% of our exports goto the UK, we've had to change our freight carrying capacity from the land bridge to direct by sea. But the risk to the EU is shared by 27 countries and we only loose 1 FTA partner, so while it will be painful it's managemble

But what can we do, the UK has always being a free country, if it wants to inflict this injury on itself and others there's nothing we can do. But when the EU doesn't do what the UK want's then don't start saying the EU is a bully or the EU isn't fair. If the proposed deal with the UK looks better than no deal, then the EU will take it. The EU wants a deal. But the EU won't compromise on it's core principals.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on December 07, 2020, 07:11:08 PM
Sheepy we didn't do anything. Brexit is a pure UK act, any fall out from it is totally on the UK. Tha's how the history books will be written, the country that destroyed itself and caused harm to it's close neighbours.
You did plenty Gerry, you denied the Irish people their right of democracy.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!