Finally they are admitting there will be no deal?

Started by Barry, December 04, 2020, 11:06:34 PM

« previous - next »

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on December 07, 2020, 04:32:06 PM
How do you make that out ?? nonsense.
They just screwed the deal you needed. Why? For their own self interests.
Next they are going to take your fish.
After that, they are going to take your tax haven away from you.

You are f**ked.
Expect them to ban your beef and dairy real soon.

GerryT

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on December 06, 2020, 04:01:26 PM
Whose agrement isn't required as they aren't the ones providing the money.
The EU 7yr budget is approved by a majority of the EU council, if 25 counties say yes and 2 say no then it carries.

The EU budget is proposed annually by the European Commission. The proposed annual budget is then reviewed and negotiated by the Council of the European Union (which represents Member States' governments) and the European Parliament (which represents EU citizens). In order for the budget to be adopted, consensus of the majority of Member States is required and final endorsement by the European Parliament.[5]

The 7yr budget has be approved by the EU parliament which is the final step in the process.

The problems came when the EU wrapped the covid recovery fund in with the EU budget, the recovery fund needs all countries participating in the fund to agree. The EU can just leave Hungary and Polad out of the recovery fund as it's not something they are entitled to AND they seem to be rejecting it anyway.

So in summary, yes the EU parliament is required to approve the EU 7yr budget. That's done. So has the EU council by majority approved it.

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on December 07, 2020, 04:22:54 PM
Why oh why would you think that, the EU remains steadfast behind IRL.

France just sold you out.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on December 06, 2020, 02:45:22 PM
Gerry feels betrayed.

:D

Why oh why would you think that, the EU remains steadfast behind IRL.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2020, 01:44:44 PMSo, nothing has been agreed. The only thing that WAS agreed was the value of the budget. So when I posted that Hungary had the EU by the bollox I was correct as I've said, nothing is agreed as any one of the 27 can veto it. Like Hungary is doing.

Hungary and Poland have a decision to make. They can try using their position to stall the ratifying of the EU budget and Covid fund or they face major problems. The first been the EU is now looking to exclude both countries from the recovery fund, this is not something they are entitled to, if they don't wish to ratify it why would they be included. That fund is 750b euro of which they would get a large proportion.
Put this in context Hungary and Poland are against EU rule of law mechanism's, if they persist then they loose out on the recovery fund. If both these countries fail to agree to the 7yr budget then they have a decision to make, do they want to be in the EU or Not, if not then Hungary is down 5b a yr and Poland 11.6b in EU funding. Either way the EU will continue, it's a club of 27 countries, if 1 or 2 don't like it and try to scupper the club from within I think they will find themselves at the wrong ed of the argument. Very simply the EU could approve the 7yr budget and not take contributions from either Poland or Hungary, that would save the EU 16.6b  yr. Or about twice what the UK was paying into the EU.

In the end the EU will move on, hopefully with Hungary and Poland but they will have to adopt rule of law mechanism's, it would be a basic requirement of EU membership.

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on December 06, 2020, 01:17:14 PM
The 7 yr budget was agreed by the eu parliament and sent to countries to ratify, the covid fund was added as an emergency measure. Try keep up nick.
Lots of people on this thread coming across as very nervous. Throwing "the irish are a tax haven " to "but they will capitulate at 11th hr " to "the eu has issues with its budget"
Don't you want to talk about brexit, thats what this forum is for or is it talk about anything but brexit, the impact of no deal or even the impact of a bad deal, what happens to the UKs reputation internationally if it breaks the WA and GFA. seems like you don't want to talk about brexit.

Whose agrement isn't required as they aren't the ones providing the money.

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

The 7 yr budget was agreed by the eu parliament and sent to countries to ratify, the covid fund was added as an emergency measure. Try keep up nick.
Lots of people on this thread coming across as very nervous. Throwing "the irish are a tax haven " to "but they will capitulate at 11th hr " to "the eu has issues with its budget"
Don't you want to talk about brexit, thats what this forum is for or is it talk about anything but brexit, the impact of no deal or even the impact of a bad deal, what happens to the UKs reputation internationally if it breaks the WA and GFA. seems like you don't want to talk about brexit.

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2020, 11:33:06 PMThe UK didn't break EU rules as such, they failed to spot some fraud. That's not acting in a rogue manner.

As for Poland and Hungary it doesn't look simple. They've got the EU by the nuts by vetoing the Budget, with some countries desperate for the addition CV-19 cash. Let's see who blinks first there.
The EU budget 2021 to 27 was agreed in Sept. The 1.8T stimulus fund is what Hungary is blocking, why its not clear but it looks like he's blocking because he can. Hungry and Poland both would greatly benefit from this funding but it looks like Orban doesn't much care about is people. We'll see how this plays out, if there are too many concessions given to Hungary then other member states will kick off.  There will also be a strong reluctance to veto Hungary as the EU is rules based and the principal of each country having a voice is still a fundamental principal of the EU. Either way a compromise will be found, Orban is just putting himself in the spotlight and playing the big man. Time will tell as this needs sorting in the next couple of weeks.

These are prob the priorities for the EU, C19 and the 1.8T fund then prob climate change and ongoing FTA's that are going places. Brexit falls in somewhere below that.

So, nothing has been agreed. The only thing that WAS agreed was the value of the budget. So when I posted that Hungary had the EU by the bollox I was correct as I've said, nothing is agreed as any one of the 27 can veto it. Like Hungary is doing.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

There's been more than enough talking about Brexit, but not enough Brexit for my liking.
† The end is nigh †

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2020, 01:01:00 PM
How can they put them together Gerry? You told me the 7 year budget was signed off.
Unless you're now telling me they've unsigned it.

OR you are going to admit for once that you were wrong!

Nick

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on December 06, 2020, 12:35:12 PM
The EU wrapped the additional covid funding into the 7yr budget, they are now one thing 
If Hungary does want to participate and thinks it doesn't want to pay in then it can leave the EU. The remaining 26 will continue on.
But its not the people but more their dictator leader, I'm sure the people of Hungary will deal with him in time.

How can they put them together Gerry? You told me the 7 year budget was signed off.
Unless you're now telling me they've unsigned it.

OR you are going to admit for once that you were wrong!

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2020, 12:20:22 PM
Another 180 from you Gerry. When I posted that you said it was only the additional amount and that the budget was already passed by the 27. Not Hungary and a Poland are trying to stop the 7 year budget.

Time passes whilst I wait for Gerry to deny it.
The EU wrapped the additional covid funding into the 7yr budget, they are now one thing 
If Hungary does want to participate and thinks it doesn't want to pay in then it can leave the EU. The remaining 26 will continue on.
But its not the people but more their dictator leader, I'm sure the people of Hungary will deal with him in time.