two-factor authentication (2FA)

Started by papasmurf, December 07, 2020, 08:50:17 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on December 07, 2020, 12:19:44 PM
I only use my PC for online banking and I don't have a smartphone, (I have no intention of getting one.) The extra security has bugger all to do with the EU.

Read what I said again

I said HSBC blame the EU
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 07, 2020, 12:40:33 PM
I'm not sure why I bother helping to educate you. You obviously have an unteachable spirit.
I tell you what, I won't bother in future.

Whether you like it or not the EU is nor the origin of two-factor authentication. They are a bit tardily complying with a World financial banking standard.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 07, 2020, 12:26:56 PM
That is when the EU are introducing it, they are not the origin of it. (Goes back before 2015.)
I'm not sure why I bother helping to educate you. You obviously have an unteachable spirit.
I tell you what, I won't bother in future.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 07, 2020, 11:47:01 AM

As soon as I did that,I got an exceptionally contrite blubbering email from HSBC explaining that in mi way did they intend me to be unable to use a branch of HSBC for day to day banking but they insist online access is not permitted without a smartphone and they blame the EU....

I only use my PC for online banking and I don't have a smartphone, (I have no intention of getting one.) The extra security has bugger all to do with the EU.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on December 07, 2020, 10:56:40 AM
I wanted to know what it was, thanks for the explanation. I don't have a mobile phone that would handle that technology.
All the financial sites I use have similar but they send a code to my landline phone or email it. (Apart from my French bank account, which requires an email from me before they will authenticate a transaction. (That is an email from inside their banking system to a named person.)

Ok

I work in banking again now.

Here's the reality

1) if you order something online, a code will be sent in a TEXT message, or an EMAIL, and the code will have to be entered on the online form.

You do NOT need a smartphone, you just need to either read an SMS text message which all mobiles have been able to do since Orange rolled out the first in 1994, OR you need to open an email on whatever computer you used to place your order.

SIMILARLY

2) Many Banking Websites now require a similar process to log in. Regrettably this is not as kind to the technophobe. Whilst Santander use a system where they send a TEXT to my registered phone whose content must be entered on the PCwithin minutes, HSBC are making it increasingly stressful to bank with them without a smartphone. It is now impossible to log in to use my account on a computer without first launching the mobile app and using it to create the access code.

My complaint that this makes it impossible to use my account which has no branch is in the hands of the ombudsman.

As soon as I did that,I got an exceptionally contrite blubbering email from HSBC explaining that in mi way did they intend me to be unable to use a branch of HSBC for day to day banking but they insist online access is not permitted without a smartphone and they blame the EU....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 07, 2020, 10:37:41 AM
2FA is a feature of high security websites which usually use a code sent to a users mobile telephone as a 2nd proof of identification after a login and password has been done.
On which website do you want to switch it on?

I wanted to know what it was, thanks for the explanation. I don't have a mobile phone that would handle that technology.
All the financial sites I use have similar but they send a code to my landline phone or email it. (Apart from my French bank account, which requires an email from me before they will authenticate a transaction. (That is an email from inside their banking system to a named person.)

Barry

2FA is a feature of high security websites which usually use a code sent to a users mobile telephone as a 2nd proof of identification after a login and password has been done.
On which website do you want to switch it on?
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Does anyone know what  two-factor authentication (2FA) is please. (and how to turn it on.)
Cheers.