Scotland & England: Different Values

Started by morayloon, December 08, 2020, 12:39:41 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

† The end is nigh †

morayloon

Quote from: Borchester on December 08, 2020, 01:53:31 PM
Actually Moray, I think that 9% pay rise for Scottish nurses is over a period of 3 years, which means that it is about 3% a year which is less than the rate of inflation.

Effectively, Scottish nurses are getting a pay cut.
The rise is a minimum of 9%. Certainly it is over 3 years but are English nurses being rewarded with a 3%+ pay rise per annum?

morayloon

Quote from: patman post on December 09, 2020, 01:51:53 PM
^^^
Not all patients pay for prescriptions in England — children and the elderly are exempt as are various medical conditions. About 88% of prescriptions are filled free...
The majority of Scots pay less tax than their English counterparts. The few who are earning £50000 plus can afford to pay a bit more so that  the lower rates can be kept as low as possible. Anyway you have to take it as a whole. Many families pay Prescriptions, pay for care of their elderly parents, pay the tuition fees of their children etc.

morayloon

Quote from: T00ts on December 08, 2020, 01:03:44 PM
Good for you - but it seems you receive £2000 per head  more than us so I heard just yesterday. No wonder you can gloat over so much free stuff. Presumably it's at our expense and still so many are not satisfied.
The sums are not comparable. For instance water is privatised in England and is not included. In Scotland, where it is in Public ownership it is included in the figures. There is also the fact that there are vast swathes of remote areas, which are sparsely populated, e.g. in the Highlands and Islands
Why is it at your expense? Why do you hold on to the wrongful description of Scotland being subsidised by England?
Scotland raises over £60 billion in tax revenue and only about £30 billion is returned.  Do the arithmetic!

patman post

^^^
Not all patients pay for prescriptions in England — children and the elderly are exempt as are various medical conditions. About 88% of prescriptions are filled free...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

morayloon

Quote from: patman post on December 08, 2020, 01:39:20 PM
Scottish income tax is higher:

In England and Wales, tax is payable at the basic rate of 20% on taxable income up to £50,000. In Scotland tax is payable at three different rates (19%, 20% and 21%) on taxable income up to £43,430.
Higher rate
If you live in England or Wales and you have taxable income of more than £50,000, you'll have to pay the higher rate of 40% tax on the amount above £50,000 up to £150,000. If you live in Scotland, you'll have to pay the higher rate of 41% tax on the amount above £43,430 up to £150,000.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/tax/income-tax-how-much-should-you-pay/income-tax-rates/
https://www.gov.uk/scottish-income-tax

So Scotland's probably better for children, unemployed, sick — and the elderly in certain circumstances...
The Median Income in Scotland is £25,200: in Moray, where I live, it is £17,293. The breakthrough sum for higher rate of Income Tax is £26.993.Over half the population pay less tax than similar earning levels in England.
At £33,000 it is £57.57 more; at £50,000 it is £1,541.57 more. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51407239. There are a lot less people earning the high salaries which bring in the higher income tax rates.
When you take into account that you pay prescription charges, care for the elderly, free tuition fees etc, the taxes paid in England are higher.

Borchester

Quote from: morayloon on December 08, 2020, 12:39:41 PM

Not much happening on this Form re. Scotland so I thought I'd post the above graphic and see what kind of reaction it brings from all you English members

Actually Moray, I think that 9% pay rise for Scottish nurses is over a period of 3 years, which means that it is about 3% a year which is less than the rate of inflation.

Effectively, Scottish nurses are getting a pay cut.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Making hay while the sun shines Morayloon, it amuses the hell out of me.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

Quote from: Barry on December 08, 2020, 01:00:13 PM
You see all those "free" things?
Perhaps they are not free and someone has to pay. When you are independent ;) things will be even more "free". You'll have so much money in the Scottish Treasury, you won't know what to do with it.
Scottish income tax is higher:

In England and Wales, tax is payable at the basic rate of 20% on taxable income up to £50,000. In Scotland tax is payable at three different rates (19%, 20% and 21%) on taxable income up to £43,430.
Higher rate
If you live in England or Wales and you have taxable income of more than £50,000, you'll have to pay the higher rate of 40% tax on the amount above £50,000 up to £150,000. If you live in Scotland, you'll have to pay the higher rate of 41% tax on the amount above £43,430 up to £150,000.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/tax/income-tax-how-much-should-you-pay/income-tax-rates/
https://www.gov.uk/scottish-income-tax

So Scotland's probably better for children, unemployed, sick — and the elderly in certain circumstances...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: morayloon on December 08, 2020, 12:39:41 PM

Not much happening on this Form re. Scotland so I thought I'd post the above graphic and see what kind of reaction it brings from all you English members

Good for you - but it seems you receive £2000 per head  more than us so I heard just yesterday. No wonder you can gloat over so much free stuff. Presumably it's at our expense and still so many are not satisfied.

Barry

You see all those "free" things?
Perhaps they are not free and someone has to pay. When you are independent ;) things will be even more "free". You'll have so much money in the Scottish Treasury, you won't know what to do with it.
† The end is nigh †

morayloon