The arrogance of the Remain Alliance

Started by Major Sinic, November 10, 2019, 11:50:24 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=5135 time=1573386624 user_id=84
The Remain Alliance between the Liberal Democrats, the Greens and Plaid Cymru is an indication of just how deep the contempt for the electorate and how arrogant some of our politicians have become.

The Remain Alliance removes the right of the individual voter to decide who they wish to vote for tactically or at all.

As an example i the Liberal Democrats (arguably neither liberal nor democratic) and the Greens don't field a candidate in deference to Plaid Cymru, they are effectively instructing the voters in that constituency to vote Plaid Cymru. That is fine if they are a far left nationalist who wishes to remain in the EU. However what if it is a moderate left of centre Unionist? Such a voter would be reluctant and angry to be forced to vote for a far left nationalist party or spoil their paper. They might even vote Tory in protest at being disenfranchised!

This extremely arrogant and undemocratic policy decision on behalf of the LDs, Plaid and Greens may, and I hope will, turn round to bite them

I think to be fair the polling expert sir john curtice said the polling figures for these parties are such low numbers in reality this will make minimal difference if any.

Cant think what plaid cymru are thinking about getting into bed wae those liberal barstewards , but there you go.

Apparently the tories are going to stand aside in east dunbartonshire to help jo swinson retain her seat and keep the snp out.

As the uk slides closer to break up and the end of the status quo , i think history shows politicians and those for the status quo will increasingly act hysterical .

Looking at things positively , im not sure what the liberals will end up with seat wise , predictions are around the twenty mark , but surely from a brexiter point of view if they take remain votes off labour it can only be a good thing?

Too many parties taking a bite at the remain vote cherry , and the tories virtually have the brexit vote to themselves.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Churchill

They can be recalled but only in these circumstances, I thought it covered incompetence as well sadly no, IMO it should apply if an MP crosses the floor.

An MP is convicted of an offence and receives a custodial sentence of a year or less.

An MP is suspended from the Commons for at least 10 sitting days, or 14 calendar days.

An MP is convicted of providing false or misleading information for allowance claims under the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009.

Vaz could loose his seat if enough of his constituents sign a petition calling for it
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Sheepy

LOL its all a form of insanity,first off Parliament and the media plus the majority of business leaders who have their fingers in the EU pie are outraged we don't care what they think,as we are outraged they don't care what we think,now after shunning us for three years and running every fear mongering story under the sun,they want us to vote for them,yet this is somehow the sanity of Parliament,even the SNP ain't that crazy.

Which actually goes back to a survey of Conservative members who said they feared a Corbyn government more than Brexit.Which the likelihood of either is so slim anyway.So now they are using their own fears on themselves.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Javert

Quote from: Churchill post_id=5162 time=1573394138 user_id=69
Even if I do not like or agree with a candidate I think of the bigger picture which  Party is it better from me and mine and my country, and vote for that Party not the individual, if the individual winner turns out to be useless untrustworthy the constituents can call for his or her removal.

It is far more difficult to remove a Party in power if not impossible the country is stuck with them for five years

Yes, but the same is true of the individual MP - it's very close to impossible to fire them from their MP role - they cannot be removed if they change parties or vote for the opposite things that they said they would, nor can they be removed for immoral behaviour, or even criminal behaviour unless they are sent to prison for more than a year.

Therefore the same is true of the individuals as well - once elected, you are stuck with them for 5 years unless they resign.

This is not necessarily a bad thing and has some advantages - if there was an "easy" way to get an MP fired, every MP would be subject to all sorts of politically motivated attempts to get rid of them and would never get anything done.

Churchill

Even if I do not like or agree with a candidate I think of the bigger picture which  Party is it better from me and mine and my country, and vote for that Party not the individual, if the individual winner turns out to be useless untrustworthy the constituents can call for his or her removal.

It is far more difficult to remove a Party in power if not impossible the country is stuck with them for five years
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Javert

Isn't this a bit hysterical.

There is no obligation on any party to stand candiates in any election and no obligation on any voter to vote at all, or for any particular candidate.  In the end, you are voting for a candidate rather than a party so if you are really that unhappy, you can always stand yourself.

Major Sinic

The Remain Alliance between the Liberal Democrats, the Greens and Plaid Cymru is an indication of just how deep the contempt for the electorate and how arrogant some of our politicians have become.

The Remain Alliance removes the right of the individual voter to decide who they wish to vote for tactically or at all.

As an example i the Liberal Democrats (arguably neither liberal nor democratic) and the Greens don't field a candidate in deference to Plaid Cymru, they are effectively instructing the voters in that constituency to vote Plaid Cymru. That is fine if they are a far left nationalist who wishes to remain in the EU. However what if it is a moderate left of centre Unionist? Such a voter would be reluctant and angry to be forced to vote for a far left nationalist party or spoil their paper. They might even vote Tory in protest at being disenfranchised!

This extremely arrogant and undemocratic policy decision on behalf of the LDs, Plaid and Greens may, and I hope will, turn round to bite them