If it's NO DEAL because of the fish issue - we would still like 12 months fish.

Started by Barry, December 10, 2020, 03:37:09 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on December 10, 2020, 10:35:39 PM
On both sides Gerry, on both sides.
Remember the 60 billion deficit and on whose side that is!!
So we are in agreement, this is not a "concession" in trade talks but a gesture if there is a hard brexit to keep trade moving.

It's only an issue if you stop buying from the EU. On WTO terms you are introducing tariffs on goods from all other countries, we will see.

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on December 10, 2020, 11:07:31 PM
Like I would do such a thing.
But I did hear on the grapevine though, that Boris didn't realise how well our dancing skills were honed, I blame Toots.
Oh well as long as it doesn't blow up in his face ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on December 10, 2020, 11:03:23 PM
Was this posted a purpose. :-\
Like I would do such a thing.
But I did hear on the grapevine though, that Boris didn't realise how well our dancing skills were honed, I blame Toots.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on December 10, 2020, 09:31:27 PMBut this announcement does zero, nada, nothing in any way to alleviate the affects of Brexit, the customs checks, vat, tariffs, delays, delays, delays.

On both sides Gerry, on both sides.
Remember the 60 billion deficit and on whose side that is!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on December 10, 2020, 07:44:02 PM
It isn't just fishing and farming. (I am beginning to wonder if several people on this forum follow current affairs at all.)

Ditto !
All the EU is looking to do is keep trucks moving and planes flying, it's down to the UK to agree, if not then the sh1t really hits the fan.

But this announcement does zero, nada, nothing in any way to alleviate the affects of Brexit, the customs checks, vat, tariffs, delays, delays, delays.

GerryT

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on December 10, 2020, 07:21:45 PM
In short, no change and six more months bunnying. I dare say that without a satisfactory conclusion to the negotiations the Lizard and Pappy will break away from the mainland and sink into the Atlantic, but I suspect that the rest of us will survive.

It isn't just fishing and farming. (I am beginning to wonder if several people on this forum follow current affairs at all.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: Borchester on December 10, 2020, 07:21:45 PM
In short, no change and six more months bunnying. I dare say that without a satisfactory conclusion to the negotiations ...
The fake limit to the negotiations with the EU means that after we have left on Jan 1st without a deal, negotiations for a proper trade deal might actually begin, taking each other seriously. If not, as you say, we'll survive. I have ordered in another pack of Weetabix, just in case.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on December 10, 2020, 03:37:09 PM
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_2368

While the Commission will continue to do its utmost to reach a mutually beneficial agreement with the UK, there is now significant uncertainty whether a deal will be in place on 1 January 2021.

The European Commission has today put forward a set of targeted contingency measures ensuring basic reciprocal air and road connectivity between the EU and the UK, as well as allowing for the possibility of reciprocal fishing access by EU and UK vessels to each other's waters.

The aim of these contingency measures is to cater for the period during which there is no agreement in place. If no agreement enters into application, they will end after a fixed period.

President von der Leyen said: "Negotiations are still ongoing. However, given that the end of the transition is very near, there is no guarantee that if and when an agreement is found, it can enter into force on time. Our responsibility is to be prepared for all eventualities, including not having a deal in place with the UK on 1 January 2021. That is why we are coming forward with these measures today".

The Commission has consistently called on all stakeholders in all sectors to prepare for all possible scenarios on 1 January 2021. While a "no-deal" scenario will cause disruptions in many areas, some sectors would be disproportionately affected due to a lack of appropriate fall-back solutions and because in some sectors, stakeholders cannot themselves take mitigating measures. The Commission is therefore putting forward today four contingency measures to mitigate some of the significant disruptions that will occur on 1 January in case a deal with the UK is not yet in place:

Basic air connectivity: A proposal for a Regulation to ensure the provision of certain air services between the UK and the EU for 6 months, provided the UK ensures the same.
Aviation safety: A proposal for a Regulation ensuring that various safety certificates for products can continue to be used in EU aircraft without disruption, thereby avoiding the grounding of EU aircraft.
Basic road connectivity: A proposal for a Regulation covering basic connectivity with regard to both road freight, and road passenger transport for 6 months, provided the UK assures the same to EU hauliers.
Fisheries: A proposal for a Regulation to create the appropriate legal framework until 31 December 2021, or until a fisheries agreement with the UK has been concluded – whichever date is earlier – for continued reciprocal access by EU and UK vessels to each other's waters after 31 December 2020. In order to guarantee the sustainability of fisheries and in light of the importance of fisheries for the economic livelihood of many communities, it is necessary to facilitate the procedures of authorisation of fishing vessels.
The Commission will work closely with the European Parliament and Council with a view to facilitate entry into application on 1 January 2021 of all four proposed Regulations.

In short, no change and six more months bunnying. I dare say that without a satisfactory conclusion to the negotiations the Lizard and Pappy will break away from the mainland and sink into the Atlantic, but I suspect that the rest of us will survive.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 10, 2020, 06:57:46 PM
all I need to do now is survive Brexit on 1st January.

A bit late in the day to do that if you have made no mitigating preparations already.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

DeppityDawg

Well, having successfully not died from Coronavirus yet, all I need to do now is survive Brexit on 1st January.

Pity there wasn't a vaccine for Quack Quack.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on December 10, 2020, 05:59:26 PM
It's not something I am familair with, but it does sound like a big hit if that transpires. Prob why fishing is a key issue for the EU. It's a small value business but it employs a lot of people.
You sure Gerry, normally you are a minefield of information.

GerryT

Quote from: Dynamis on December 10, 2020, 05:07:46 PMIt looks like the Irish fishing industry is set to lose out massively in the event of No-Deal Brexit...
It's not something I am familair with, but it does sound like a big hit if that transpires. Prob why fishing is a key issue for the EU. It's a small value business but it employs a lot of people.