Main Menu

Poverty?

Started by T00ts, December 11, 2020, 01:00:56 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 11, 2020, 01:39:30 PM
Not having Sky and having to make do with an iPhone 4   :D

That is exactly the sort of stupid comment I was expecting.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts on December 11, 2020, 01:00:56 PM
I'm probably sticking my neck out but what actually constitutes poverty in this country?

Not having Sky and having to make do with an iPhone 4   :D

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 11, 2020, 01:29:55 PM
So what is classed as necessary outgoings?

FFC Toots, you are joking, ones that keep the roof over your head and stop the utilities being cut off.  A claimants rent has not been fully paid for years as part of Tory austerity giving  the responsibility to local authorities and underfunding it.  Most local authorities cap it an 70%-75% of local median rent and only paying 70% of that.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 01:32:42 PM
Frankly that you find it hard to believe is the problem given the amount of research and data referenced over time on this forum.
I had a VERY heated exchange of emails between myself and the local Tory MP recently because he was TOTALLY in ignorance of the poverty problem in his own constituency. Which given he was born and bred here is disgraceful.
(It was made worse by him being photographed in front of the charity building that has been provided hot meal for around 400 children during school holidays and weekends since he became an MP, and he knew nothing about it.)

yawn and off he goes as ever .

Toots is asking you a question , so perhaps provide a compelling argument with links to reference instead of giving her your boring life story of pestering politicians.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 11, 2020, 01:25:34 PM
Don't insult me by suggesting that I cannot think for myself. I am questioning whether the truth for some is lack of education in managing money successfully. I find it hard to believe that lots of people have absolutely no money. Perhaps you know better.

Frankly that you find it hard to believe is the problem given the amount of research and data referenced over time on this forum.
I had a VERY heated exchange of emails between myself and the local Tory MP recently because he was TOTALLY in ignorance of the poverty problem in his own constituency. Which given he was born and bred here is disgraceful.
(It was made worse by him being photographed in front of the charity building that has been provided hot meal for around 400 children during school holidays and weekends since he became an MP, and he knew nothing about it.)

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 01:25:51 PM
Because they don't have enough income to cover their necessary out goings, a situation made worse by ten years of Tory Austerity and the Tory hostile environment towards poor and disadvantaged people.

i know individuals who earn serious money that are in that situation through  constantly trying to live further and further beyond their means. This doesnt mean they are poor .

as for this shite...

Quotea situation made worse by ten years of Tory Austerity and the Tory hostile environment towards poor and disadvantaged people.

remind me again  , during labours thirteen ingloriuos years in power , did your "poverty" in the yookay dissappear?

No it didnt , and labour spectacularly failed to meet their own targets on poverty , so no screaming tory bad tory bad yet again is just more of your utter crap.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 01:25:51 PM
Because they don't have enough income to cover their necessary out goings, a situation made worse by ten years of Tory Austerity and the Tory hostile environment towards poor and disadvantaged people.

So what is classed as necessary outgoings? Don't spout Tory cuts because I will spout Brown's stupid policies that gave cash to nearly everyone, even those with adequate earnings.

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on December 11, 2020, 01:25:34 PM
Don't insult me by suggesting that I cannot think for myself. I am questioning whether the truth for some is lack of education in managing money successfully. I find it hard to believe that lots of people have absolutely no money. Perhaps you know better.

The key ingredient in life is the hunger to succeed toots in my honest opinion.

without it , you are going no where.

This doesnt mean you are going to become exremely wealthy or famous , but its a key building block off which to start.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 11, 2020, 01:19:21 PM
The question is why they have no money to buy food.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 01:16:26 PM
When you have no food and no money to buy any. (You are also showing discretely the Daily Heil point of view.)

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 01:16:26 PM
When you have no food and no money to buy any. (You are also showing discretely the Daily Heil point of view.)

The question is why they have no money to buy food.

not having money to buy food doesnt mean you are poor. It could simply be you havent budgeted or wasted money.

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on December 11, 2020, 01:12:14 PM
Yes I agree that. When I was a child I was at school with those who had the toes cut out of their shoes because they couldn't have new ones. Were they poor? They certainly looked it but then I didn't know then how much money their parents were smoking and drinking.

my grandpa on occasion as a child went to school barefoot in the inter war years. I havent once seen or heard of this in the modern era in scotland or england.

Inability to manage money , drink drugs fags coming before food and kids needs , wasting money on sky tv or netflix when they cant afford the rent , and many other examples are part of  , but not the whole problem.

The lifechances and help the poor have today are far far superior than at probably any time in the past.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 11, 2020, 01:09:37 PM
The question is though what constitutes poverty? Does it mean having no money? Does it mean not managing your money properly? Does it mean having to sell all your stuff to afford food? Does it mean no TV, no car, no shoes, no cigarettes? At what level do we say you are in poverty?

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on December 11, 2020, 01:08:04 PM
not having  the new i phone or play station five i think?

Seriously though toots ask five people and you will get five different answers.

poverty is that bad in scotland and england folk are dying attemtping to paddle across the channel to get to the promised land becasue poverty in the yookay is much bettter than poverty in whatever shithole they came from.

I grew up in material poverty i suppose as a child , council flat in a city , didnt have holidays abroad and many of the things kids today for example take for granted.

I tell you though i had a feckin fantastic childhood , and the privilige of being born into the worlds greatest country  , scotland , and this is what some folk in their never ending whinges about "the poor the poor" seems to forget.

Life isnt perfect anywhere , but if you are lucky enough to be born into great countries like scotland or england , then you know you have hit the jackpot in life.

I would rather be poor here than poor in some asian or african shithole.

Yes I agree that. When I was a child I was at school with those who had the toes cut out of their shoes because they couldn't have new ones. Were they poor? They certainly looked it but then I didn't know then how much money their parents were smoking and drinking.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 01:04:57 PM
Poverty affects millions of people in the UK. Poverty means not being able to heat your home, pay your rent, or buy the essentials for your children. It means waking up every day facing insecurity, uncertainty, and impossible decisions about money. It means facing marginalisation – and even discrimination – because of your financial circumstances. The constant stress it causes can lead to problems that deprive people of the chance to play a full part in society.

The question is though what constitutes poverty? Does it mean having no money? Does it mean not managing your money properly? Does it mean having to sell all your stuff to afford food? Does it mean no TV, no car, no shoes, no cigarettes? At what level do we say you are in poverty?