Main Menu

Poverty?

Started by T00ts, December 11, 2020, 01:00:56 PM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 02:59:54 PMIts only the last 15 / 20 years it has began to recover. Today it looks like a city from another planet compared to when i was growing up in the seventies and eighties.

Did you ever hear about that french photographer commissioned by the times newspaper to take photos of glasgow in 1980? He took them , but they were never published as they were deemed too brutal showing the poverty in glasgow at that time.

Aye, its sobering to reflect that poverty like that existed in the UK within living memory, and it puts the modern sense of the word right back into context. I know Glasgow was probably the worst, but many other UK inner cities had similar problems - there was an article in the DM from some years back which also showed the decay and misery

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4006564/The-slum-children-shocked-Swinging-Sixties-Britain.html

For many of the provincial cities, things may have improved a bit when the slums were knocked down, but the problem of poverty was simply moved to large, sprawling new council estates and tower blocks that were built to replace them. When people (on here for instance) talk about "poverty" in simple terms of money or "opportunities", I know they've never seen it, which is why when you write on here I listen, because I know you have. I know Cromwell has too. People like us remember the real price of poverty, the dreadful housing, the crime, the fact that men especially dying in their late 50s or 60s of industrial diseases or simply being physically exhausted was common, or of a time when women could and did still die in childbirth and when infant mortality was 30 times higher than it is now

I know its a cliche, but those photos you posted do well to remind the modern generation that they don't really know what "poverty" is. Anyway, we'll have Patman Post on next telling us that Britain of the 60s was a land full of Colonel Blimps dreaming of Empires  :D

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 03:19:15 PM
member on here sheep the other week we were having a laugh and talking about "high tea" ?

Sheep i had to google what it meant as i had never heard of it ! :D

...sure enough there are a few places in glesga today that do high teas , just shows how yuppie we have become unlike you southern riff raff.

hastings pikeys on tour in their motorhomes.....lock up your daughters and  garden sheds. ;)
well, that sounds like an invite for high tea, which is very kind, but the bastards have me locked up and say if I don't put on their mask they ain't letting me out, but I have another plan, inject smurfy with vaccine. See because if everyone is vaccinated, they have no cause for complaint about me not being locked up. Or not wearing their mask. But as they haven't been honest about any of it from the start anyway see if I give a flying one.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: cromwell on December 12, 2020, 03:40:45 PM
Whippersnappers......Players Weights or Woodbines :P :P :P :P

Lol, I genuinely thought you said whippets there, which brought to mind Lee Mack..

"Since Lee comes from Southport and has a Lancastrian accent and I'm a southerner who sounds vaguely RP, he's characterised as a woodbine-smoking Jarrow marcher whose whippet died of rickets and I'm Bertie Wooster but with a less burning sense of social injustice. We eat only tripe and swan respectively."

(Liberaly grauniad article by David Mitchell.)

:D He (Lee) makes some quip about him being seen as a woodbine smoker with a whippet on his comedy routines.  :D
+++

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 02:16:52 PM
jist shows how up market we were lmfao!

feckin hilarious when the guy came to empty the cash meter at the back and it was all mangled and in bits held together wae tape. :D

same here deppity , and do you know when the council eventually put in central heating in our flat , me and my brother couldnae sleep because of the heat fae the radiator? I made sure the wee bastards bed was right up next to it !

Even today my wife moans like feck as i cannae sleep in the room if she has had the radiator on , so i always have it turned off and the room freezing!

same here , we got one pair of trainers and they had to last the year , and i sold my school dinner ticket and went down the chippy at lunchtime.

i used to get sent up the pakistani shop or the ice cream van for 10 embassey regal every fuckin day. My maw was a chain smoker.Shopping list on the back of a fag packet.
och come oan deppity am no that auld , cromwell is about forty years older than me :D

We used to say 50 (pence) shut it on the bus. ;D
Whippersnappers......Players Weights or Woodbines :P :P :P :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on December 12, 2020, 03:09:00 PM
LOL you know it. We can even afford a bath more than once a week if we have enough for the meter, fecking Kings we are.

member on here sheep the other week we were having a laugh and talking about "high tea" ?

Sheep i had to google what it meant as i had never heard of it ! :D

...sure enough there are a few places in glesga today that do high teas , just shows how yuppie we have become unlike you southern riff raff.

hastings pikeys on tour in their motorhomes.....lock up your daughters and  garden sheds. ;)
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 12, 2020, 10:04:34 AM
That is probably a fair bet too (and you know how I like a bet  ;D ), but you'd also have an entrenched group with a victim mentality at the other end too. "Poverty", or what constitutes it in this case, is I guess an emotive subject. But you will always get people who "do" and people who "don't". My point was that if you "reset" everything, you'd eventually end up back where you started

The alternative is we follow the orthodoxy of "equality" (where all human beings are precious little souls who just need a chance), or worse, some form of rigid communism, where absolute uniformity is enforced on us all. For me anyway, there isn't much doubt that would lead to a miserable dystopian future far worse than we already have.

Anyway Ken Clarke. You know I'm a fascist and I'd have all you liberals transported to that desert island if I could :D :D :D

Well that's OK 'cos I'm good with my hands so I'll be in the top 10% wont I
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 03:01:43 PM
we cannae all come from the posh east sussex riviera sheep like you and dyno.
LOL you know it. We can even afford a bath more than once a week if we have enough for the meter, fecking Kings we are.

Thomas

Quote"You were very aware of how hard the lives of the denizens of these districts were. It wasn't just the manifest decrepitude of the housing or the diminished quality of the goods in the shops — you saw deprivation and desperation etched in the faces of the young and the old"

QuoteThese are the cityscapes and the localities that Depardon has captured so brilliantly and evocatively. And yet it's important to say that it is only one side of the city of Glasgow.  There are whole streets and blocks of spectacular Victorian architecture, leafy suburbs of large beautiful houses, vast parks that are the rival of London's open spaces, imposing vistas – Glasgow is hilly – and civic buildings and churches of international renown.

https://www.magnumphotos.com/arts-culture/society-arts-culture/william-boyd-raymond-depardon-1980s-glasgow/

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on December 12, 2020, 02:54:48 PM
Listen to Statler and Waldorf go at it.
You Yanks don't know you are born.

we cannae all come from the posh east sussex riviera sheep like you and dyno.

Thomas

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 12, 2020, 02:38:14 PM
:D :D :D

None of the council houses on any of the estates were properly maintained - mind you, some of the ****s that lived in them would have been more at home in a stable  :D

i know tell me about it. We never had much but my maw was spotless , and then some of the houses you went to at my neigbours makes me want to puke just thinking about the state of them.

im on an old glaswegian facebook page that show pictures of glasgow from the 1930`s onwards. as you would expect glasgow looks like any other pre war and post war city , and looks fairly vibrant and bustling around the fifties and sixties , and then from the late seventies onwards bang. its looks like a burnt out world war two city from eastern europe or somewhere.

Its only the last 15 / 20 years it has began to recover. Today it looks like a city from another planet compared to when i was growing up in the seventies and eighties.

Did you ever hear about that french photographer commissioned by the times newspaper to take photos of glasgow in 1980? He took them , but they were never published as they were deemed too brutal showing the poverty in glasgow at that time.

They recently surfaced on the internet and i was looking at them .
In 1980, French photojournalist Raymond Depardon was commissioned by a British newspaper to shoot a story in Glasgow. He knew nothing about the city and didn't speak any English.

The result was a poetic and eerie photo series capturing everyday life in some of the city's most deprived neighborhoods amid the grind of Thatcher's Britain. His stills show ball games in between boarded-up houses, family strolls along barren concrete walls, and elderly couples waiting for the bus opposite burned-down tower blocks.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/avybpk/photographs-of-glasgows-slums-in-1980

QuoteThey didn't have tickets or anything at our school, you paid the cash, but the food was fecking awful - except the chips I remember were actually alright. Oh, and the semolina

no what i mean is mate we were that dirt poor we actualy got free school meals , paid by the council , and you got a ticket to pay while everyone else paid cash. Even back then my entrepenurial skills shone through  , and i flogged my ticket to go down the chippy or shop. :D

QuoteI remember she had an old "twin tub" washing machine (you probably won't remember them either) that had an open top and a separate spin dryer.

aye we had one as well deppity , i remember the big wooden tongs for lifting the washing out of the tub into the spinner.

when my maw first got a new automatic machine she was still using the old powder from the twin tub and the new one had fekcin soap suds going everywhere as she didnt realise you had to use different powder.

QuoteIt used to sound like a fecking C130 taking off!

ha ha  feckin thing bounced about the kitchen as well.

Sheepy

Listen to Statler and Waldorf go at it.
You Yanks don't know you are born.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 02:16:52 PM

feckin hilarious when the guy came to empty the cash meter at the back and it was all mangled and in bits held together wae tape. :D

:D :D :D

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 02:16:52 PMsame here deppity , and do you know when the council eventually put in central heating in our flat , me and my brother couldnae sleep because of the heat fae the radiator? I made sure the wee bastards bed was right up next to it !

Even today my wife moans like feck as i cannae sleep in the room if she has had the radiator on , so i always have it turned off and the room freezing!

None of the council houses on any of the estates were properly maintained - mind you, some of the ****s that lived in them would have been more at home in a stable  :D

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 02:16:52 PMsame here , we got one pair of trainers and they had to last the year , and i sold my school dinner ticket and went down the chippy at lunchtime.

They didn't have tickets or anything at our school, you paid the cash, but the food was fecking awful - except the chips I remember were actually alright. Oh, and the semolina  :D

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 02:16:52 PMi used to get sent up the pakistani shop or the ice cream van for 10 embassey regal every fuckin day. My maw was a chain smoker.Shopping list on the back of a fag packet.
och come oan deppity am no that auld , cromwell is about forty years older than me :D

Aye, my mum chain smoked too, I remember pinching her fags often

I remember she had an old "twin tub" washing machine (you probably won't remember them either) that had an open top and a separate spin dryer. It used to sound like a fecking C130 taking off! And with having 3 sisters it was never short of clothes to wash either. The place used to look like a chinese laundry at the weekend in winter with clothes drying everywhere and all the windows steamed up  :D

Thomas

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 12, 2020, 02:07:53 PM
We never had one of those, but I do remember them being in, was it "Radio Rentals"? There was another similar shop. Was it "Redifusion" or something like that?

QuoteI remember there being no double glazing and there being frost on the inside of the fecking windows in winter

same here deppity , and do you know when the council eventually put in central heating in our flat , me and my brother couldnae sleep because of the heat fae the radiator? I made sure the wee bastards bed was right up next to it !

QuoteI think school dinners were not exactly "free" as such, but they were dirt cheap. Like 2p or something stupid like that. And I remember my sisters (I have 3, I was the only boy) always complaining about having to have "hand me down" uniforms - mind you, everyone broke the uniform rules anyway. I remember wearing doc martins to school in the 5th year

same here , we got one pair of trainers and they had to last the year , and i sold my school dinner ticket and went down the chippy at lunchtime.

QuoteDo you remember Embassy Regal or Players No6 in 10 packs?

i used to get sent up the pakistani shop or the ice cream van for 10 embassey regal every fuckin day. My maw was a chain smoker.Shopping list on the back of a fag packet.
O gawd, we'd better not start Cromwell off on the buses. You could go virtually anywhere in the city for about tuppence! Fecking hell, he's so old he can remember electric trams

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 01:44:56 PMten bob for the lecky meter?

Hey deppity do you ever remember they tellys you put ten bob in the back ?

My grannie had one i shit you not , and every week the box was getting chibbed off the back to get the cash out of.

We never had one of those, but I do remember them being in, was it "Radio Rentals"? There was another similar shop. Was it "Redifusion" or something like that?

I remember there being no double glazing and there being frost on the inside of the fecking windows in winter  :D

I think school dinners were not exactly "free" as such, but they were dirt cheap. Like 2p or something stupid like that. And I remember my sisters (I have 3, I was the only boy) always complaining about having to have "hand me down" uniforms - mind you, everyone broke the uniform rules anyway. I remember wearing doc martins to school in the 5th year  :D

Do you remember Embassy Regal or Players No6 in 10 packs? 10 pence from the machine on the wall of the newsagents. O gawd, we'd better not start Cromwell off on the buses. You could go virtually anywhere in the city for about tuppence! Fecking hell, he's so old he can remember electric trams  :D