Main Menu

Poverty?

Started by T00ts, December 11, 2020, 01:00:56 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Even the right wing news can't hide it

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/uk-news/2020/06/30/45-million-people-in-deep-poverty-in-uk-report/

"22%   Overall UK poverty rate"

The Sunday Sport is much better for this stuff, or the Borsetshire Daily and its burst haemorrhoids/reporters hopping about hoping not to get caught in harrods  :P, but I expect papi is highly contented with being an immigrant who has displaced locals in Cornwall and has contributed greatly to the decline of the tin mining industry. Thank you for helping obsolete an outdated industry papi, the Tories send you heartfelt appreciations

The sunday sport attempted to contact papa for comment, he came out of his shed and answered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWr0E_Qb39A

Muttering of "Tory bad Tory bad" could be heard in the shed moments later..

..We also attempted to contact some French-Algerian gyppo's from Vicky Park, Finchley for comment; but couldn't understand them.

:P :P :P
+++

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on December 18, 2020, 03:48:50 PM
Not really just people ending up in the deep financial poo through  no fault of their own,
I have NEVER stated support for food banks means supporting fascism. That is a blatant lie by you about me.
Out of all your replies on here at least seven are Tory bad,whilst the tory record on poverty ain't the best other govts are culpable yet not one of your posts reflect that.

Accordingly I expect a Tory bad off topic thread will be created where you can vent your spleen but not bugger up every thread as is your wont.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on December 18, 2020, 03:27:09 PM
yet another example of the Tories stealing food from the deserving poor. As Pappy says, support for food banks means supporting fascism.

Not really just people ending up in the deep financial poo through  no fault of their own,
I have NEVER stated support for food banks means supporting fascism. That is a blatant lie by you about me.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on December 18, 2020, 02:55:09 PM
There are an increasing number of those, also being referred to food banks.

yet another example of the Tories stealing food from the deserving poor. As Pappy says, support for food banks means supporting fascism.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on December 18, 2020, 10:35:51 AM

Middle-Class Tory . . . . . . "But I never imagined the benefit cuts would apply to me when when I lost my job and my home."

There are an increasing number of those, also being referred to food banks.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on December 18, 2020, 11:21:40 AM
Well, there you are you see, old working-class lad gets tempted by the middle classes and can't buy a bit of knock off, because they will know the difference.  ;D

Obviously I am available for a bit of the old as advertised on Police 5 stuff, but the local villains are a pretty common lot and truffles just don't fall off the backs of lorries in my area. Mind you, it is a national problem. I remember the 2011 riots when the local low life broke into the supermarkets, stole the margarine and left the butter. :(
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on December 18, 2020, 11:10:23 AM
Pretty much the same when I was a lad although there were a few fatties. Mum always budgeted for the food and drink first and if she had any money left over she would even pay the rent. Looking back it was almost a mirror image of today. There was not a lot of cash around but everyone had usable skills. Nowadays in my street my neighbours seem to have the money, but need three house meetings before they can decide to find a Romanian to drive a nail into a wall.

Anyway, yesterday Herself decided that she wanted some truffles, so I schlepped down to Fortnum and Mason to see if I could lower the tone. For those who have not been there it is a nice place even if everyone was masked and gowned up as though they were shooting a remark of Doctor Kildare.  As anyone who has been to Provence will know, it is doubtful if some of the locals even use toilet paper but as said, they are a decent bunch (both in truffle land and Piccadilly) so I stopped with my smelly old oink act, bought a chunk of white whatever the stuff is and brought it back for Madam.

Anyway, this morning she served up truffles and bacon and eggs and was tickled pink at the result and I was tickled pink to see her tickled pink and refrained from telling her that I have started a cold and right now could not tell truffles from spaniel shit.

And now she has gone off for a day's serious bunnying with her mates and I am now left in a house full of happiness and the faintly acrid smell of a freshly cleaned hen house. :)
Well, there you are you see, old working-class lad gets tempted by the middle classes and can't buy a bit of knock off, because they will know the difference.  ;D
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on December 18, 2020, 11:10:23 AM
Pretty much the same when I was a lad although there were a few fatties. Mum always budgeted for the food and drink first and if she had any money left over she would even pay the rent. Looking back it was almost a mirror image of today. There was not a lot of cash around but everyone had usable skills. Nowadays in my street my neighbours seem to have the money, but need three house meetings before they can decide to find a Romanian to drive a nail into a wall.

Anyway, yesterday Herself decided that she wanted some truffles, so I schlepped down to Fortnum and Mason to see if I could lower the tone. For those who have not been there it is a nice place even if everyone was masked and gowned up as though they were shooting a remark of Doctor Kildare.  As anyone who has been to Provence will know, it is doubtful if some of the locals even use toilet paper but as said, they are a decent bunch (both in truffle land and Piccadilly) so I stopped with my smelly old oink act, bought a chunk of white whatever the stuff is and brought it back for Madam.

Anyway, this morning she served up truffles and bacon and eggs and was tickled pink at the result and I was tickled pink to see her tickled pink and refrained from telling her that I have started a cold and right now could not tell truffles from spaniel shit.

And now she has gone off for a day's serious bunnying with her mates and I am now left in a house full of happiness and the faintly acrid smell of a freshly cleaned hen house. :)

;D ;D Happy wife  = Happy life!

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 07:34:21 PM
Same here deppity , none of us were ever fat or slightly overweight even , and food was dished up the same in our house with a take it or leave it attitude as well. To be honest we were never in , i was out playing football non stop an had to be practically dragged in the house for my tea.

Never drank fizzy drinks  , they were a once in a blue moon luxury , tap water or a cup of tea. Still not a drinker of fizzy drinks even today.

pretty much the rest of your story is very similar to my house , and the family in general.

Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Middle Class poverty  - the differing Labour and Tory experience . . .

Middle-Class Labour . . . . "But I never imagined the tax rises would apply to me, It's not as though I'm super-rich."

Middle-Class Tory . . . . . . "But I never imagined the benefit cuts would apply to me when when I lost my job and my home."
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 12, 2020, 07:22:56 PM
Other than being sometimes hungry in the way teenage boys often are, I wasn't ever "starved", which is what makes me suspicious about the claims made by certain, shall we say, vested interests and NGOs. Sure, there were times when my mum ran out of money, but she always managed to feed us - even if it was sometimes stuff we weren't keen on. But you had the choice, its there, eat it, otherwise tough. And there were always family and friends that helped out - just as she lent money to them when they were short. That's how it worked as you know.

I guess it actually became easier after my old man died, because my mum had always been used to getting by, and so with him gone it actually got better. The staples were always cheap enough, and to hand it to her, she was a pretty good cook. Things like bread and butter pudding she'd make for instance, or corned beef pie which were cheap and easy to make. The things we didn't have much of were "snack foods" or luxury items. They simply weren't "marketed" on the tv to the extent they are today, so we didn't miss them anyway. It really told in clothes, especially the stuff my sisters wanted, but that she couldn't afford - you know what girls are like, and that caused a lot of trouble. As for the material things boys wanted, you know how that goes too. If its not there, we start stealing it, and that's where my problems began

Anyway, she was a fabulous woman. Never lost her sense of humour through it all, and never lost her loyalty - even to the bastard she married, despite what he put her through. Despite it all, she liked a drink herself, though she never drank wine. She was a working class brown ale Girl through and through, with the odd Pernod here and there when she let her hair down :D

Same here deppity , none of us were ever fat or slightly overweight even , and food was dished up the same in our house with a take it or leave it attitude as well. To be honest we were never in , i was out playing football non stop an had to be practically dragged in the house for my tea.

Never drank fizzy drinks  , they were a once in a blue moon luxury , tap water or a cup of tea. Still not a drinker of fizzy drinks even today.

pretty much the rest of your story is very similar to my house , and the family in general.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2020, 05:55:03 PMIt is interesting how the definition of poverty and what it actually meant to those affected has changed over the years.

Despite not having money and very few material possesions , i dont know about you but we never ever once starved . Sure my mum ran out of cash  , but not once did we have to go and beg food from anyone.

im sure plenty of people are indeed struggling to day deppity , but like you say , what that actually pertains to is open ti interpretation and i often find the hype is worse than the so called deprivation .

Other than being sometimes hungry in the way teenage boys often are, I wasn't ever "starved", which is what makes me suspicious about the claims made by certain, shall we say, vested interests and NGOs. Sure, there were times when my mum ran out of money, but she always managed to feed us - even if it was sometimes stuff we weren't keen on. But you had the choice, its there, eat it, otherwise tough. And there were always family and friends that helped out - just as she lent money to them when they were short. That's how it worked as you know.

I guess it actually became easier after my old man died, because my mum had always been used to getting by, and so with him gone it actually got better. The staples were always cheap enough, and to hand it to her, she was a pretty good cook. Things like bread and butter pudding she'd make for instance, or corned beef pie which were cheap and easy to make. The things we didn't have much of were "snack foods" or luxury items. They simply weren't "marketed" on the tv to the extent they are today, so we didn't miss them anyway. It really told in clothes, especially the stuff my sisters wanted, but that she couldn't afford - you know what girls are like, and that caused a lot of trouble. As for the material things boys wanted, you know how that goes too. If its not there, we start stealing it, and that's where my problems began

Anyway, she was a fabulous woman. Never lost her sense of humour through it all, and never lost her loyalty - even to the bastard she married, despite what he put her through. Despite it all, she liked a drink herself, though she never drank wine. She was a working class brown ale Girl through and through, with the odd Pernod here and there when she let her hair down :D

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on December 12, 2020, 06:22:30 PM
You remind of those old boys I grew up with, hard boy, you don't know the meaning of the word.

Do you know another thing i only just learned today sheep . On another thread i was talking to toots about christmas , and scotlands history of not celebrating it. It was banned in scotland by the scottish parliament in 1640 , and didnt become a public holiday again till 1958.

Anyways , i am a member of a glaswegian facebook page for old pictures of glasgow, and a woman posted on there about her going to see santa at a store in argyle street in glasgow in the sixties , and shes said santa back in those days was dessed in green rather than the red we are accustomed to today.

Just goes to show a lot of these long held traditions we take for granted really are modern inventions.

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on December 12, 2020, 03:40:45 PM
Whippersnappers......Players Weights or Woodbines :P :P :P :P
You remind of those old boys I grew up with, hard boy, you don't know the meaning of the word.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 12, 2020, 05:19:28 PM
Aye, its sobering to reflect that poverty like that existed in the UK within living memory, and it puts the modern sense of the word right back into context. I know Glasgow was probably the worst, but many other UK inner cities had similar problems - there was an article in the DM from some years back which also showed the decay and misery

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4006564/The-slum-children-shocked-Swinging-Sixties-Britain.html

For many of the provincial cities, things may have improved a bit when the slums were knocked down, but the problem of poverty was simply moved to large, sprawling new council estates and tower blocks that were built to replace them. When people (on here for instance) talk about "poverty" in simple terms of money or "opportunities", I know they've never seen it, which is why when you write on here I listen, because I know you have. I know Cromwell has too. People like us remember the real price of poverty, the dreadful housing, the crime, the fact that men especially dying in their late 50s or 60s of industrial diseases or simply being physically exhausted was common, or of a time when women could and did still die in childbirth and when infant mortality was 30 times higher than it is now

I know its a cliche, but those photos you posted do well to remind the modern generation that they don't really know what "poverty" is. Anyway, we'll have Patman Post on next telling us that Britain of the 60s was a land full of Colonel Blimps dreaming of Empires  :D

some of those pictures are extremely sobering too deppity.

i know glasgow had a bad reputation , but as the article said i quoted earlier people forget the other side of glasgow where wealth still existed. Like any big city , there were good and bad areas , just that the bad really was the pits.

It is interesting how the definition of poverty and what it actually meant to those affected has changed over the years.

Despite not having money and very few material possesions , i dont know about you but we never ever once starved . Sure my mum ran out of cash  , but not once did we have to go and beg food from anyone.

im sure plenty of people are indeed struggling to day deppity , but like you say , what that actually pertains to is open ti interpretation and i often find the hype is worse than the so called deprivation .

Its a material world today where kids and younger adults have been brought up to be good little consumers........not having the latest playstation or fashion design and fitting in with the i phone gang at school is the new pretendy poverty of today.

As i said , folk mock scotland and england , but there isnt many countries around the world that look after its poor the way we do.

For the ususal screamers  , its never enough though.

QuoteAnyway, we'll have Patman Post on next telling us that Britain of the 60s was a land full of Colonel Blimps dreaming of Empires

usual  but patbox as we both know is just a comedy figure out for a wind up. Now and again he will spout somethng worth considering , but unless its his back lights on his bmw getting done by whitey or the usual bleat about the met polis then its best just to leave him to his fantasy world of norwegian supermodels and wine bars .