Christmas

Started by T00ts, December 12, 2020, 09:26:08 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

We are a family of non believers  and  we celebrate Christmas  . We also married in Church ,baptised our kids and might be caught singing Hark the herald on Christmas morning .
Is it tradition ,our upbringing or maybe just that we like to party ?  As Borky says ,its a good story so why not celebrate it and really whatever your beliefs whats not to like about a feast and copious amounts of beer ?

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on December 12, 2020, 09:26:08 AM
I am grateful for the respect that Forum members show to me and my faith but there is a question that really puzzles me. I understand and respect that many of you have a different faith or none but do you all celebrate Christmas? If so why?

Most societies have some sort of festival in mid winter. It is cold and bleak and folk like the idea of a bit of a do to cheer themselves up. The idea of the Twelve Days of Christmas was an attempt to limit the partying otherwise the knees ups would have continued until Spring. And it is a lovely story. A baby is born, strangers turn up with gifts of Milton and leave the lad a few bob to grow on (which is what gold, frankincense and myrrh translates as), the yobbish shepherds (it is only recently they have been seen as much better than the sort of hardcases best stuck on hilltops out of the way) brought to something higher than themselves and all the rest.

I have to say that the idea of a chippie putting himself out to pay his taxes takes some believing. And why Joseph didn't fettle the inn keeper really suggests that parts of the Christmas story might well be fiction. But otherwise, great story, lovely festival.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

I am grateful for the respect that Forum members show to me and my faith but there is a question that really puzzles me. I understand and respect that many of you have a different faith or none but do you all celebrate Christmas? If so why?
Hard not to really,we don't exchange presents it's only for kids in that respect and a social time.....ordinarily.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

christmas is a funny thing in scotland toots.

As im sure you know traditionally it is new year that is the big festival in scotland. Its only historically recently christmas really started being celebrated as it was banned by the protestant parliament of scotland in the 17th century as it was seen as a papish catholic festival , and it was over three hundred years later in the late 50`s when it even became a public holiday again.

I thought anyway as barry has said that christmas is an invention and nothing really to do with christs birth?

As we all know from history , the christians werent really know for their innovation. They borrowed life after death from the celts and the druidic religion in europe , all saint day was an attempt to stop the pagan celtic celebration of samhain which is now halloween , and many of the pre christian people of europe long celebrated the mid winter solstice long before anyone had heard of jesus or christianity. The christians are known historically for copying or borrowing rather than inventing.

The christian religous aspect of christmas was never mentioned in my house as a child .......we were a mixture of church of scotland protestants and catholics in my family , and generally religion was a taboo subject across society when i was growing up in western scotland.

So im with nalaar on this  , the simple answer is no. Im not religous , and neither is my wife , but i respect others beliefs.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borg Refinery

Post removed..................... broke forum rules

Read the section header
QuotePlease respect other members beliefs and views

Mod Edit Crom
+++

Barry

As a fundamentalist, I have mixed feelings about celebrating either the birth or death of Christ. It is a wonderful event in history which resulted in his death as a propitiation for whosoever believes.
However, it is in the past, and the celebration of the future with God is something we have every day.

The giving of presents, the pressure on people to go into debt, are nothing to do with God's gift of Salvation, which is a free gift of God's grace.

Even the December 25th is a made up date, a remnant of Saturnalia?

On the other hand, if we don't mark it in any way at all, we are not seen as a Christian country, so I do celebrate it in a conservative way.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 12, 2020, 10:07:57 AM
Far too many of my wife and I's relatives have carked it in the past at Christmas, so we don't celebrate it.

Yes I sympathise. It seems to be a pattern that many people pass away at this time of year. You have made me think through so many I have lost, loved ones and dear friends, both at and within weeks of Christmas.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 12, 2020, 10:07:31 AM
So what you are saying is that Christ's birth doesn't enter your head at all?

It doesn't enter mine.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on December 12, 2020, 10:07:31 AM

Other than if it happens to be mentioned by other people, no.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Far too many of my wife and I's relatives have carked it in the past at Christmas, so we don't celebrate it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on December 12, 2020, 10:05:54 AM
Societal tradition, like celebrating a New Year which has no religious aspect.

Most people are granted time off work over the Christmas period allowing for families to meet and celebrate regardless of their affinity to Christianity.

Celebrating a Christian Christmas, and celebrating time with friends and family allowed for by Christmas Holidays are not the same thing.

Nalaar

Societal tradition, like celebrating a New Year which has no religious aspect.

Most people are granted time off work over the Christmas period allowing for families to meet and celebrate regardless of their affinity to Christianity.

Celebrating a Christian Christmas, and celebrating time with friends and family allowed for by Christmas Holidays are not the same thing.
Don't believe everything you think.

T00ts