The US is getting a little crazier

Started by Sheepy, December 13, 2020, 11:35:20 PM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: cromwell on January 07, 2021, 06:41:22 PM
Well I had a wager with a poster (proceeds to charity) that Trump wouldn't go to war and he didn't,you care to take one that neither trump or his looney son will be president next time round?

I don't gamble. As a general rule of thumb. But if I did,I would not take the bet. I , m inclined to think the situation can remain a problem, without Trump, or his son actually getting back to the White House.
For me it's the mind set, the movement, will remain the danger. Yes he can continue to ferment  that, but I doubt it will make him president again.. He has a great following , almost cult status,  the republicans, are going to have to find a way around that. I expect they will.  And that is one very good reason to think he will not get back to the White House. It's the Effect of what he has given legs to ,is I feel is going to be problematic , in the period of the next decade.

cromwell

Quote from: Good old on January 07, 2021, 03:50:39 PM
Basically I would want to agree with that, and quiet frankly I hope it will be the case. The republican establishment will at least try to throw him in the bin. As he is toxic for them,  that's for sure. Yet I still think ,if he is free to wind this movement up, there will be ongoing problems.
Although the rats are jumping ship now, it's clear he hasn't been able to stir this much trouble all on his own , it isn't just the ill educated mob that has enabled him to throw everything in the air. And his views are extremely popular . I rather think that the gripes being vented by the people that have followed him, will have to be addressed by whoever is in power in the next few years. Or America's democracy could really be in trouble. And if he is still around who knows.
Well I had a wager with a poster (proceeds to charity) that Trump wouldn't go to war and he didn't,you care to take one that neither trump or his looney son will be president next time round?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Good old

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 07, 2021, 02:09:35 PM
Some states are firmly republican .Trump has become toxic and will be replaced by another more suitable candidate for the office in 4 years .  Trump will become a rather embarrassing sideshow in American politics

Basically I would want to agree with that, and quiet frankly I hope it will be the case. The republican establishment will at least try to throw him in the bin. As he is toxic for them,  that's for sure. Yet I still think ,if he is free to wind this movement up, there will be ongoing problems.
Although the rats are jumping ship now, it's clear he hasn't been able to stir this much trouble all on his own , it isn't just the ill educated mob that has enabled him to throw everything in the air. And his views are extremely popular . I rather think that the gripes being vented by the people that have followed him, will have to be addressed by whoever is in power in the next few years. Or America's democracy could really be in trouble. And if he is still around who knows.

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 07, 2021, 02:09:35 PM
Some states are firmly republican .Trump has become toxic and will be replaced by another more suitable candidate for the office in 4 years .  Trump will become a rather embarrassing sideshow in American politics

I hope you are right. There is a law in the USA the name of which escapes me but doctors are not allowed to diagnose mental health problems in USA Presidents, perhaps once he is out of office they will be able to substantiate the rumours that he has problems. Then he might be relegated to the back pages of history.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Good old on January 07, 2021, 01:26:14 PM

Some  states are firmly Trump, any way, so as Sampan, said ,it would be wrong to think this thing ends here.

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on January 07, 2021, 12:55:28 PM
Trump got 46.9%   74,223,744 it's an awful lot of votes.

It is an awful lot of votes, and even if only half should be dedicated to the idea they have been cheated by their democratic system,  they could be creating an awful lot of civil unrest throughout the country in the next four years.
Some  states are firmly Trump, any way, so as Sampan, said ,it would be wrong to think this thing ends here.

Sheepy

Trumpy loves chaos, he has said so enough times, he is captain chaos.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on January 07, 2021, 12:48:51 PM
Given the numbers involved and it's not as if we haven't been here before,America first in the thirties,then when civil rights came to he fore.

Yes there will be division,always has been but he will only be remembered now as an abberation.

How can anyone with only half a brain to observe he was threatening opposition protestors and saying they were bringing civil disorder only to do the very same now.

I cannot believe sufficient numbers will be taken in to return another trump or support a trump party.

Trump got 46.9%   74,223,744 it's an awful lot of votes. There seems to be a fashion for not accepting democratic votes. We have been suffering it for over 4 years here so it is not beyond imagination that there will be some perhaps many who will be angered by this for a whole Presidential term. He is adept at rousing troops as we have seen in 2 elections, if he puts his mind to it I can see him trying it again.

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on January 07, 2021, 12:39:40 PM
What with all the groups running around armed to the teeth, with two sides trying to divide them up and turn them into votes by offering up things they cannot deliver. what could or has gone wrong. One thing for sure, stepping over the bodies already, this isn't any kind of peaceful transition.
Given the numbers involved and it's not as if we haven't been here before,America first in the thirties,then when civil rights came to he fore.

Yes there will be division,always has been but he will only be remembered now as an abberation.

How can anyone with only half a brain to observe he was threatening opposition protestors and saying they were bringing civil disorder only to do the very same now.

I cannot believe sufficient numbers will be taken in to return another trump or support a trump party.

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on January 07, 2021, 12:14:05 PM
I think Sampan might come back that Trump is looking to create some sorts of dynasty,Trumps son for president?
Can't see it myself the,US establishment will do anything to restore the status quo and I'd guess we will see some long slow discrediting of him and his family,won't affect the confirmed nutters but they aren't the majority.
What with all the groups running around armed to the teeth, with two sides trying to divide them up and turn them into votes by offering up things they cannot deliver. what could or has gone wrong. One thing for sure, stepping over the bodies already, this isn't any kind of peaceful transition.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Good old

Quote from: Sampanviking on January 07, 2021, 11:45:59 AM

No, he will leave under protest on the 20th and Joe "Business as Usual" Biden will move in. Then these events will be put behind and the Biden administration will get into action.
Trump no doubt will calculate that it was "Business as Usual" that got him elected in the first place and that it will get him back in 2024, but this time on his own terms with his own administration free of "traitors"

Grab the popcorn and get comfy, this show is over? wrong its only starting to get going!

It's probably right to say this has only just started. The problem being he is inviting that nation to ignore any pretence of democracy. It's a recipe for civil strife, which in a state as large and diverse as that one could even include war.
It has to be remembered that if this situation sets a precedent , then it could easily be repeated by either side on every occasion , until only violence is on people's minds. Republican, or Democrats. Don't forget ,the call is. " To take our country back".  Back from what ? Not a foreign power, but the masses of fellow Americans that rejected him and his followers at the ballot box. One thing is for sure ,that ballot box has been hit with a sledgehammer.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on January 07, 2021, 12:02:11 PM
I think you are right in some ways but in 4 years time he will be 78yrs and that 4 years will make him a different although just as mad/angry as he is now. We are already seeing Biden's fragility at that age and there are plenty of comments suggesting that he won't last the 4 years of his term. Trump although pretty robust looking is no health freak by all accounts and may well realise his own mortality by then. There is no doubt that Trump will cause as much disruption as possible certainly to start with.
I think Sampan might come back that Trump is looking to create some sorts of dynasty,Trumps son for president?
Can't see it myself the,US establishment will do anything to restore the status quo and I'd guess we will see some long slow discrediting of him and his family,won't affect the confirmed nutters but they aren't the majority.

T00ts

Quote from: Sampanviking on January 07, 2021, 11:45:59 AM
In case you have failed to notice, when you call Trump a (insert invective here) you should say that he is a (insert invective here) with a large mobilised and militant personal following. These people in Washington yesterday and no doubt the many others that were cheering them on from home on TV, are not followers of the Republican party simply following the leader of the moment, these are dedicated Trump supporters.

I think people are looking to much at the here and now and not at the medium term.
Trump has I think long planned to break with the Republican party and start up his own. He has taken the popular support that was with the Republicans and now, because of yesterday, he can claim that he is not breaking with the Republican party, but that they broke with him.

A lot of elected Republican officials are now going to be worried as hell, that they have just waved goodbye to their voters.

Of course Trump is not going to seriously try and stay in the White House, I think that would be unlikely even if he did have the support of the Military and other security apparatus. He would have no International Credibility and he knows it. He has however set up the narrative of grievance and cemented a strong personal following. Removing him from office now is pointless and would generate a severe backlash in the streets. Trying to impeach him again would do likewise.

No, he will leave under protest on the 20th and Joe "Business as Usual" Biden will move in. Then these events will be put behind and the Biden administration will get into action.
Trump no doubt will calculate that it was "Business as Usual" that got him elected in the first place and that it will get him back in 2024, but this time on his own terms with his own administration free of "traitors"

Grab the popcorn and get comfy, this show is over? wrong its only starting to get going!

I think you are right in some ways but in 4 years time he will be 78yrs and that 4 years will make him a different although just as mad/angry as he is now. We are already seeing Biden's fragility at that age and there are plenty of comments suggesting that he won't last the 4 years of his term. Trump although pretty robust looking is no health freak by all accounts and may well realise his own mortality by then. There is no doubt that Trump will cause as much disruption as possible certainly to start with.

Sampanviking

In case you have failed to notice, when you call Trump a (insert invective here) you should say that he is a (insert invective here) with a large mobilised and militant personal following. These people in Washington yesterday and no doubt the many others that were cheering them on from home on TV, are not followers of the Republican party simply following the leader of the moment, these are dedicated Trump supporters.

I think people are looking to much at the here and now and not at the medium term.
Trump has I think long planned to break with the Republican party and start up his own. He has taken the popular support that was with the Republicans and now, because of yesterday, he can claim that he is not breaking with the Republican party, but that they broke with him.

A lot of elected Republican officials are now going to be worried as hell, that they have just waved goodbye to their voters.

Of course Trump is not going to seriously try and stay in the White House, I think that would be unlikely even if he did have the support of the Military and other security apparatus. He would have no International Credibility and he knows it. He has however set up the narrative of grievance and cemented a strong personal following. Removing him from office now is pointless and would generate a severe backlash in the streets. Trying to impeach him again would do likewise.