The US is getting a little crazier

Started by Sheepy, December 13, 2020, 11:35:20 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 07:46:36 PM
I did clearly say that no one was reporting it, and you said you couldn't find anything.

If no-one was reporting it how did you know about it?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 05, 2021, 01:53:54 PM
You did not post any link at all with your first comment.  I thought it was a major news item until it was proven to be otherwise.

I did clearly say that no one was reporting it, and you said you couldn't find anything.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 01:48:46 PM
Well if you're not interested don't bother posting.

You did not post any link at all with your first comment.  I thought it was a major news item until it was proven to be otherwise.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 05, 2021, 10:43:52 AM
Not childish at all, it still isn't much of a news item. When they surround the White House try to  Trump being dragged out kicking an screaming let me know.

Well if you're not interested don't bother posting. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 10:40:53 AM
Usual childish response.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55540347

Not childish at all, it still isn't much of a news item. When they surround the White House try to  Trump being dragged out kicking an screaming let me know.

Nick

papasmurf

Nick

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on January 04, 2021, 01:32:26 PM
So you are agreeing with me then many yanks didnt think he was a bad president , and from what i can see , many still dont?

I certainly think so. When Moira and I went to Alaska via Seattle in 2019, I found most of the bar owners, bartenders, small store owners and cruise passengers were quite desperate to tell me I should consider the daily democrat war against him on social media an absolute embarrassment and that they thought him a far better presidential candidate than any of the others in 2016 or those preparing to come out of the woodwork to oppose him in 2020.

They seemed quite pleased when I told them I had paid little heed to American politics until the 2016 election, but when because in 2014 it seemed my youngest daughter was about to become a 21st Century G I Bride, I stated taking a LOT of interest and frankly I'd have voted for him as the best candidate on offer and offering the best chance for a bloke like me to prosper were i working in the USA.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sampanviking

Quote from: Thomas on January 04, 2021, 11:50:46 AM
just think quackers.

If trump manages to do the impossible in yank land over his election loss , what hope will it give you over brexit?

Do you think remainers might be able to hire trumps lawyers to overturn democracy here?

You could even pass laws banning the scottish us having any more indy refs , secure britain  , and have jo swinsons result overturned and all future elections in scotland stitched up in favour of the limp dems?

Just musing the possibility !

I read somewhere (maybe it was on here) that maybe Trump was pardoning all his old advisors, so that he can have them with him when he tries something at the end. On top of this you have the letter by the previous Defence Secretaries saying that the army should not be involved in Politics, then the earlier claim of an attempt to call a National Emergency with Martial Law, might be what is on the cards!

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on January 04, 2021, 12:38:23 PM
Trump actually got the second highest number of votes cast for any presidential candidate.

So you are agreeing with me then many yanks didnt think he was a bad president , and from what i can see , many still dont?

But that was before he'd torched all his teddies and hurled them out of his perambulator.

;D

remainers in england would know all about that quackers.

Difference is , you will get a few months of it from trump , whereas we got four and a half years of it from you!
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

HDQQ

Quote from: Thomas on January 04, 2021, 11:55:19 AM
Biden only got 7 million more votes in a nation of over 330 million thaan trump quackers , so outside of your own personal opinion of trump , it looks to me many yanks thought he was a good president , nearly half of americans who bothered voting.

Who knows?

Biden might be worse than trump , anything is possible.
Trump actually got the second highest number of votes cast for any presidential candidate.  But that was before he'd torched all his teddies and hurled them out of his perambulator.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on January 04, 2021, 11:51:23 AM
I can't think of any reason to not like Joe Biden, or to particularly like him. All we know is that he'd find it difficult to be a worse president than Trump.

Biden only got 7 million more votes in a nation of over 330 million thaan trump quackers , so outside of your own personal opinion of trump , it looks to me many yanks thought he was a good president , nearly half of americans who bothered voting.

Who knows?

Biden might be worse than trump , anything is possible.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

HDQQ

Quote from: cromwell on January 03, 2021, 10:25:58 PM. . . all the naysayer he won fairly under the US system,I don't like Biden  but that ain't the issue . . .

I can't think of any reason to not like Joe Biden, or to particularly like him. All we know is that he'd find it difficult to be a worse president than Trump. He seems well intentioned and capable and he's going to have a hard job coping with the covid-19 pandemic. When he's inaugurated, the Trump factor (the guesstimated amount by which the death toll is worse than it would have been if Trump had cared more) will only give him a short honeymoon period. Very quickly he will become the one carrying the can if wrong decisions or late decisions are made at the top.

Thomas . . . The only ways Brexit could be overturned are 1) by another referendum, or perhaps 2) a general election in which the winning party includes rejoining the EU as a clear policy in its manifesto.

I always said that using a one-off vote on one day to determine the future of our country, especially on an issue when it was known well beforehand that the country was divided roughly half-in-half, would never end well. I never questioned the accuracy of the referendum result or the conduct of the poll. I argued for a second confirmatory referendum at the end of the Brexit process once we knew the terms. In the end we had a general election which the Tories won with a big majority, which as near as we were going to get to a second referendum. It's my belief that the British people were conned by the leave campaigners who deliberately misrepresented and demonised the EU to spread scare stories, while loudly accusing the remain campaign of doing the same thing. Now we're about to find out who was right, 'leave' or 'remain'.

I can't stop another indyref in Scotland, it's not within my power! The latest poll I've seen suggests a tiny majority in favour of independence (51%) which, in turn, suggests a referendum could go either way but with a very close result. I think we've seen something a bit like that before recently. Just imagine the inflammation of the public mood if 50.3% vote to stay in the UK and 49.7% vote to leave.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!