The US is getting a little crazier

Started by Sheepy, December 13, 2020, 11:35:20 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on January 09, 2021, 01:11:38 PM
But will Trump continue to be granted any privileges in the UK if he comes here?  Also if he's compulsorily removed from office for bad behaviour would he still be Mr. President?

Trump has his own private airliners which are more luxurious than Air Force One but have less security devices.

I'm not convinced "privileges" are appropriate. For example I think Obama should be charged a tenner for every one of the vehicles in his motorcade that crossed the Severn Bridge without paying the toll.

The bottom line really is Sturgeon has no power to allow or veto visitors to the United Kingdom. Immigration and border control is not a devolved matter.

If Trump comes here - or tries to - after he leaves office then he comes here as a private American Citizen. Has he broken any UK laws in the UK ? I think not. Thus he has as much right as any other American passport holder to visit the country.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on January 08, 2021, 09:14:05 PM
Trump is still president of the USA.

And I think he should send the 81st Airborne to remind twatter of that.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

Quote from: Barry on January 08, 2021, 11:12:19 PM
However, all living ex presidents are referred to as Mr President.

But will Trump continue to be granted any privileges in the UK if he comes here?  Also if he's compulsorily removed from office for bad behaviour would he still be Mr. President?

Quote from: patman post on January 08, 2021, 07:16:39 PMApparently not he and family are supposed to be going to Florida on 19 Jan. Of course there is always a private jet, but they are not quite as well appointed as Airforce 1. Poor chap he'll be back to living on his wits.

Trump has his own private airliners which are more luxurious than Air Force One but have less security devices.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Trump is still president of the USA. Sturgeon is little more than a local council leader, who ousted her predecessor with spurious evidence. Unless she turns up at the airport as a special immigration officer, or can alert the Scottish Air Force to intercept whichever AF1 is transporting The Donald, I doubt she'll be able to do much to stop a foreign business leader inspecting a local subsidiary.
By which time the inauguration will be over...

Or will it...?
Little more than a council leader? You mean the one who has been making her own coved regulations whilst aBoris peers over her shoulder and follows suit a few days later.

Anyway what's he coming as president or foreign business leader!you seem confused?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: HDQQ on January 08, 2021, 09:26:02 PM

If he arrives on UK soil as President, within a day or two of doing so he'd become a private citizen.
However, all living ex presidents are referred to as Mr President.
† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

Trump is still president of the USA. Sturgeon is little more than a local council leader, who ousted her predecessor with spurious evidence. Unless she turns up at the airport as a special immigration officer, or can alert the Scottish Air Force to intercept whichever AF1 is transporting The Donald, I doubt she'll be able to do much to stop a foreign business leader inspecting a local subsidiary.

Or will it...?

If he arrives on UK soil as President, within a day or two of doing so he'd become a private citizen.

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on January 08, 2021, 08:06:30 PM
Nicola has told him to sod off https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1379960/nicola-sturgeon-news-donald-trump-scotland-visit-golf-covid-restrictions-latest-SNP-vn

Or will it...?

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on January 08, 2021, 07:16:39 PM
Isn't Trump forecast to be wielding a golden Mashie Niblick somewhere in Scotland on the 20th?
A boss can no doubt make a case for a business trip to a prime investment if they have to...
Nicola has told him to sod off https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1379960/nicola-sturgeon-news-donald-trump-scotland-visit-golf-covid-restrictions-latest-SNP-vn

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on January 08, 2021, 07:16:39 PM
Isn't Trump forecast to be wielding a golden Mashie Niblick somewhere in Scotland on the 20th?
A boss can no doubt make a case for a business trip to a prime investment if they have to...

Apparently not he and family are supposed to be going to Florida on 19 Jan. Of course there is always a private jet, but they are not quite as well appointed as Airforce 1. Poor chap he'll be back to living on his wits.

patman post

Quote from: HDQQ on January 08, 2021, 07:02:02 PM
Up until a couple of days ago, the fact that Trump wouldn't attend Biden's inauguration was seen as a snub. Now, though, it would be an insult to Biden if he did attend.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on January 08, 2021, 06:52:28 PM
Only because he was under pressure with threats of legal action. Even then he apparently deviated from script. There are now reports of him planning to pardon all his family including himself and others before the 20th. It'll make a great movie!

Not sure how that would work for a number of reasons. The main one being that unless they are going to admit to breaking law, which is  unlikely , there can't be anything to pardon.
There must surely be some restrictions on this use of pardon. If not a president could do anything ,or have anything done and write it off with a pardon.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on January 08, 2021, 06:58:58 PM
Well there are presidential pardons,but himself? surely not constitutional.

No idea but I read that he was asking the question. I'm not sure that Trump is aware that there is a constitution, I think he believes that somewhere along the line he bought the USA! He's probably spent enough to just get into the White House.

patman post

An ex-boss had this response to almost any situation — "I reckon we'll all be in for more surprises before this is over" — and I'd not be tempted to bet against him at the moment...

HDQQ

Up until a couple of days ago, the fact that Trump wouldn't attend Biden's inauguration was seen as a snub. Now, though, it would be an insult to Biden if he did attend.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on January 08, 2021, 06:52:28 PM
Only because he was under pressure with threats of legal action. Even then he apparently deviated from script. There are now reports of him planning to pardon all his family including himself and others before the 20th. It'll make a great movie!
Well there are presidential pardons,but himself? surely not constitutional.