Circles - what a great idea

Started by T00ts, December 14, 2020, 02:59:30 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 28, 2020, 10:11:25 AM

Woman cannot match a man for strength, speed or endurance

I beg to differ having seen a female tug of war team thrash a male tug of war team at a motorcycle rally.
As for endurance in general terms if there were a 50 mile running race women would win it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on December 28, 2020, 10:11:25 AM
Perhaps what goes missing so often is that we are complementary. One cannot live without the other.  ;D

eg Man will fix things but woman reads the instructions when man gets it all pear shaped.
     Man is very good usually at cleaning cars, mowing the lawn etc but needs woman very often to point out the difference between weeds and flowers.
     Woman will see the mess and muddle in a home but will call on man to go in the attic or cellar to put items away.
     I could go on but my point is that we generally need each other.

Woman cannot match a man for strength, speed or endurance until you start to compare childbirth which few men would or could endure. We both have our roles but it never means that either sex is put in a box unable to complete many roles of the other.
My husband gave a Christmas meal to about 20 USA engineers at the end of their business trip. I was meant to attend but was teaching so agreed to come asap. I arrived at the table to be greeted by my husband who announced that I would know the answer. Puzzled I was handed a Christmas Cracker gift in the shape of a plastic model which had been all around the table yet no-one could put it together. Luckily after such a build up it looked obvious to me and I just put together a helicopter. Like I say we all have our uses.
Well I don't disagree too much,however when the man is putting all that stuff away up and down a ladder to the loft he doesn't need reminding that he hasn't fixed that lock on the garden shed yet :-[ :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Perhaps what goes missing so often is that we are complementary. One cannot live without the other.  ;D

eg Man will fix things but woman reads the instructions when man gets it all pear shaped.
     Man is very good usually at cleaning cars, mowing the lawn etc but needs woman very often to point out the difference between weeds and flowers.
     Woman will see the mess and muddle in a home but will call on man to go in the attic or cellar to put items away.
     I could go on but my point is that we generally need each other.

Woman cannot match a man for strength, speed or endurance until you start to compare childbirth which few men would or could endure. We both have our roles but it never means that either sex is put in a box unable to complete many roles of the other.
My husband gave a Christmas meal to about 20 USA engineers at the end of their business trip. I was meant to attend but was teaching so agreed to come asap. I arrived at the table to be greeted by my husband who announced that I would know the answer. Puzzled I was handed a Christmas Cracker gift in the shape of a plastic model which had been all around the table yet no-one could put it together. Luckily after such a build up it looked obvious to me and I just put together a helicopter. Like I say we all have our uses.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 28, 2020, 05:39:41 AMWhere am I going with this ? Just that most of the "girls" I worked with on boys toys seemed a little TOO capable of perfecting ways of getting them to blow your dick off while leaving your balls in place to remind you how useless you are now to not be taken seriously. Fortunately for me they knew I took them seriously ....

But I admit one of them did come in handy with her big brown eyes and other assets handing the Customs man our military warrants for the return through Dover laden with that Trappistebier. I'm sure I wouldn't have had any problems but yeah, Rona was an expert in man management whose skills in that area almost, but not quite, exceeded her skills in programming CORAL66.

There's no doubt that you know how to tell an entertaining story, John  ;D  But I think you miss my meaning. I was talking in generalities, not specifics. From someone like me and those around me's point of view, we would have been at the sharp end of the technology people like you and 'Rona' were using to create new and novel ways for us meet our makers. My job was to keep those around me alive, and I make no apology for focusing on the objectivity of that. One of my last postings before discharge was as a weapons instructor with the ATRs, and at that time (early 90s), the first significant numbers of female recruits were starting to come through, fueled (not unlike many of the lads) by fanciful and less than honest appraisals of what forces life was really like sold to them by bored lifers in the ACOs

Its not an exaggeration to say that at this time, the majority of females failed. Most (and not untrue of the males either) because they simply were not prepared for what it was really like - but equally because the standards of the time were extremely high. And this was just the basic requirements for all those entering the Army, standards sufficient for those in the corps and service arms, not those going on to the combat arms. For those (previously not even open to females) the training would be about to become 10 times more demanding. Even the basic standards were heavily reliant on strength and endurance, so it was in many ways not surprising that many of the women failed (many men did too) But the uncomfortable feeling always remained that somehow, the ministry and the powers that be were going to change this in order to stop the amount of failures. And we KNEW that was political - and when politics meets reality and fails, guess what the answer always is?

I am not saying men are 'better' than women, or vice versa. But we are not equal and never will be. Men are better at certain things, and women better at others. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. Focusing on our strengths improves them - but pretending we are equal only exposes our collective weaknesses. The enemy doesn't care what gender, colour or religion you are. Minus 18 degrees will kill you if you aren't prepared, man or woman, just as surely as a bullet through the head will. For that reason, you will be able to march 15 miles with 80lbs of kit on your back in any weather, and you will dig slit trenches at the end of it, no matter how exhausted you are. Because if you don't, and the enemy decides to put mortar rounds down on your position, you and everyone else will be dog meat in the morning. If you can't meet these standards, man or woman, then no one around you will respect you, and you have no right being there. In the end there is a fecking good reason why we have them. Because they help to keep us all alive when it all goes to rat shit

johnofgwent

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 15, 2020, 03:19:57 PM
This is what happens when you let girls mess about with technical stuff.

:D :D :D

I will take the memories of a 1980s Birmingham Motor show to the grave, they are that vivid it might as well have been yesterday.

I test-drove the then brand new Leyland Road Runner 7.5 tonner. Useful because my skinflint employer f**ked up the paperwork and left me with the task of PERSONALLY driving several million pounds of computer kit to the Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe Technical Centre a year later in one of them,  under diplomatic immunity ... And used that same to smuggle thousands of bottles of Trappistebier into the UK. Well, smuggle is a strong word as it was legal if for personal consumption and while my team took a while ....

But the show was remarkable to me on several grounds.

The "girl" who joined my team from NASA and would go on to develop a certain helicopter chaingun aimer came with me and Moira, and I shall not soon forget her chat with a bond girl at the Lotus stand who was either exceptionally well briefed, or was also a B.Eng as they were wibbling on about heat dissipation in the brakes in a language I barely understood beyond the odd work like kilojoules....

And there was Volvo's stand with its strapline about making a "consumer durable". Clever, that

But the wierdest, most bizarre stand at the whole show was Peugeot's. In a show where all others were advocating some sort of technical development as the selling point, Peugeot used a couple of Cabriolets and some pretty effeminate mincing men posing as tennis players

I mentioned this to the "girl" who had got our team of Ferranti radar and rocket scientists a pair of VIP tickets each to the show on Press day. Julia was team leader on an 'over the horizon' radar system I was helping out.

She visibly cringed when I mentioned it. On asking why the reaction, she admitted it was her husband who was the team leader at the advertising agency that came up with these poncing players ....

Peugeot's stand was not well attended, apparently.

Where am I going with this ? Just that most of the "girls" I worked with on boys toys seemed a little TOO capable of perfecting ways of getting them to blow your dick off while leaving your balls in place to remind you how useless you are now to not be taken seriously. Fortunately for me they knew I took them seriously ....

But I admit one of them did come in handy with her big brown eyes and other assets handing the Customs man our military warrants for the return through Dover laden with that Trappistebier. I'm sure I wouldn't have had any problems but yeah, Rona was an expert in man management whose skills in that area almost, but not quite, exceeded her skills in programming CORAL66.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Sampanviking on December 27, 2020, 04:57:04 PM
I think Multi Storey Runways are the answer, the perfect way to increase capacity without increasing the footprint.

I don't think that is advisable with large aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVeunEaHiYo
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sampanviking

I think Multi Storey Runways are the answer, the perfect way to increase capacity without increasing the footprint.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 22, 2020, 06:45:06 AMCareful Dawg.

Your'e inviting a re-education from 400 yards by both longbow lethal celtic Viking hybrids from the JoG stables and their Celtic mother who ain't so raven haired these days but can still pin yet balls to the fence with one herself...

And that's before I call in my gunship gal to watch

I'm sure your daughter's are very fearsome John. Though having had the dubious pleasure of teaching both women and men how to use and care for the L85, my experience was that the formers technical understanding was generally weaker than the latters. That is not to say there weren't some very good women, just that biology doesn't care about sexism

johnofgwent

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 15, 2020, 03:19:57 PM
This is what happens when you let girls mess about with technical stuff.

:D :D :D

Careful Dawg.

Your'e inviting a re-education from 400 yards by both longbow lethal celtic Viking hybrids from the JoG stables and their Celtic mother who ain't so raven haired these days but can still pin yet balls to the fence with one herself...

And that's before I call in my gunship gal to watch ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on December 15, 2020, 06:55:22 PM
I think being a pub professor should be a criminal offence.

You would probably throw it through the pub window.  ???
+++

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on December 21, 2020, 05:40:32 PM
I don't know but it just proves that circular runways will never take off!

if you cant handle the forum software quack then how are you ever going to handle cricular runways?

I fink all this modern technology malarkey is a wee bit beyond you .
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on December 15, 2020, 07:17:20 PMThe strange part is how did you manage to attribute my post to Barry?

I don't know but it just proves that circular runways will never take off!
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on December 15, 2020, 07:06:00 PM
Ah yes, but the flaps effectively change the straight wing into a curved one.

The strange part is how did you manage to attribute my post to Barry?

Quote from: HDQQ on December 15, 2020, 09:44:02 AM
Many innovative ideas are good ones, but I can't see that circular runways fall into this category.

Re the competing theories about how planes fly, I thought that both theories had been known to be correct for a long time and planes fly because of a combination of the two. The angle of the wing deflects air downwards, increasing pressure under the wing AND the curved upper surface reduces pressure above the wing, causing lift.

The article says that a plane with a flat wing can still fly, and indeed planes can fly upside down. But I'm not sure a plane with a flat wing that is also mounted level would fly unless the whole plane flies at an angle.

Quote from: Nick on December 15, 2020, 10:54:49 AM
A plane with a flat wing can fly in a straight line using a combination of flaps and elevators. Also add in the fuselage using the area rule.
This is exactly the same for flying upside down.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Quote from: Barry on December 15, 2020, 10:39:43 AMA plane with a flat wing can fly in a straight line using a combination of flaps and elevators. Also add in the fuselage using the area rule.
This is exactly the same for flying upside down.

Ah yes, but the flaps effectively change the straight wing into a curved one.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!