New variant' of coronavirus identified

Started by papasmurf, December 14, 2020, 05:19:12 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on December 15, 2020, 09:48:47 AM
What new antidote for what poison/toxin?
Slip of the keyboard Smurf, it has a mind of its own, a rare thing, now about this new miracle stuff, how does it work and how is it made that makes it a vaccine but not a vaccine?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on December 15, 2020, 09:47:05 AM
How does this new antidote work then, because it is being sold as something completely different from those old vaccines, but a new process?

What new antidote for what poison/toxin?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on December 15, 2020, 09:36:32 AM
Vaccines protect from the disease , while antidotes undo the bad effects of some toxin. They are really completely different and unrelated.

As an example, polio vaccine contains live attenuated polio virus, or killed polio virus which is introduced into the body before any infection, thereby producing antibodies to the virus and protecting the person from polio attacks. An antidote on the other hand is given after the person has been exposed to the toxin, to overcome the bad effects of the poison on the body.
How does this new antidote work then, because it is being sold as something completely different from those old vaccines, but a new process?

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on December 15, 2020, 09:32:59 AM
Oh, is it, how is that then?

Vaccines protect from the disease , while antidotes undo the bad effects of some toxin. They are really completely different and unrelated.

As an example, polio vaccine contains live attenuated polio virus, or killed polio virus which is introduced into the body before any infection, thereby producing antibodies to the virus and protecting the person from polio attacks. An antidote on the other hand is given after the person has been exposed to the toxin, to overcome the bad effects of the poison on the body.

Sheepy

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on December 15, 2020, 09:27:26 AM
Oh, come now Smurfy don't be so coy, you have single handedly invented an antidote and will receive it forthwith.

An antidote is entirely different to a vaccine.

Sheepy

Oh, come now Smurfy don't be so coy, you have single handedly invented an antidote and will receive it forthwith.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on December 15, 2020, 09:10:57 AM
Thank gawd for you experts Professor Smurf. What would we do without you, Blame the Animals, it couldn't possibly be humans?

No expertise involved merely some research on the subject.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on December 15, 2020, 07:46:21 AM
Oh dear how sad never mind, poor man had his feelings hurt. Coronaviruses have been studied for a lot longer than 30 years.
Thank gawd for you experts Professor Smurf. What would we do without you, Blame the Animals, it couldn't possibly be humans?

Borg Refinery

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+strain+covid+spain&oq=new+strain+covid+spain&aqs=chrome..69i57.6965j0j4&client=ms-android-h3g-gb-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

There were at least 2 new strains prior to this, one in Danish mink, one from Spain as it says there. They aren't sure if it's the old bats or pangolins though originally, either way, as samp pointed out, the virus was detected elsewhere in the world in Dec 2019 and from memory was here around that time too. But some think it was developed in a lab.... anyway they slaughtered livestock and other creatures roaming the fields and gardens suspected of having it so that should help.

Now if you can get back to panicking or being complacent and take firm sides in alignment with the wishes of one superpower or another, and outsource your thinking to them, that'd be perfetto.  8)
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on December 14, 2020, 07:47:45 PM
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-doctor-who-has-studied-coronavirus-for-30-years-wasnt-contacted-by-govt-when-pandemic-began-12156358
But wait you said it was those Bats without an NHS.
there's no way of stopping it."

Oh dear how sad never mind, poor man had his feelings hurt. Coronaviruses have been studied for a lot longer than 30 years.

Sheepy

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 14, 2020, 07:18:21 PM
It's always good to get an opposing view. I'll stick with my views.

Matt Hancock stood up in Parliament and said this alleged new variant is more contagious than before.

More government baseless misinformation, known as outright lies.

Unfortunately  as the variant was found by Porton Down don't expect to see any comment from the source.

Barry

It's always good to get an opposing view. I'll stick with my views.

Matt Hancock stood up in Parliament and said this alleged new variant is more contagious than before.

More government baseless misinformation, known as outright lies.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Barry on December 14, 2020, 06:42:24 PM
It didn't fail. It wasn't allowed to continue.
It was a sound strategy.

Wanna compare countries where they pushed it. and it did so well that they had to push doctors out of windows (ie Russia) or kill protesters (Belarus)?

Ok, in Russia they tried it early on and gave up as it wasn't working, and numbers were vastly underrported, but still..

But hey, you keep pushing that wonderful theory if you want... I agree that the lockdowns were wrongly implemented and too tightly at times, without competence the whole thing is useless which is why our numbers for COVID looked so poor, but herd immunity is a discredited, failed strategy. Read the NERVTAG report citing articles from biorxiv and jama in the "how'd you handle covid?" thread I started - it points to the fact that 90 days is the expected immunity you'll get if you've been infected with it, so people will become reinfected repeatedly in endless waves. That might be ok for you but it's not ok for the most vulnerable age groups, they would just perish completely.

Then again, maybe that's what govts want? Did that not occur to you; that maybe getting rid of that burden might have crossed the minds of senior Tories - because they're oh so loving and compassionate..

..just seeing as you like theories about perverse motivations in our politicians. There's a good theory for you(!).
+++