Brexit trade deal: What do WTO rules or an Australia-style relationship mean?

Started by GBNews, December 14, 2020, 07:05:01 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 15, 2020, 11:16:23 AM
Put "humour" in the part of the forum reserved for it.  My wife and I are laughing all the time, I just would not dare put the same humour on a forum. In these PC times we would both get arrested.
That's more like it, I see you are joining in now with something to make us all laugh. Good egg.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 15, 2020, 10:43:36 AM
Come on, you know how punny and witty Cromwell likes to be.
Have a laugh!

Put "humour" in the part of the forum reserved for it.  My wife and I are laughing all the time, I just would not dare put the same humour on a forum. In these PC times we would both get arrested.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 15, 2020, 10:09:16 AM
So your are ignorant of the difference between current and currant.
(Which frankly does not surprise me.)
Come on, you know how punny and witty Cromwell likes to be.
Have a laugh!
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on December 15, 2020, 08:30:19 AM
Where I live fishing is very important, and the loss of the inshore fishermen will devastate the village.

Where you live chasing away the tourists who want to spend money in the village is important. Fighting to keep the locals on the dole queues is important. Blaming everyone else for your problems is important.

My New Year's resolution is to be a kinder, more tolerant man. But it ain't the New Year yet and your whinging sense of self entitlement is enough to make my piles bleed.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on December 15, 2020, 10:06:44 AM
Certainly have,sadly ate the lot otherwise I'd send you some.

So your are ignorant of the difference between current and currant.
(Which frankly does not surprise me.)

cromwell

Where I live fishing is very important, and the loss of the inshore fishermen will devastate the village.

I also wonder if any of the believers in Unicorns on this forum when it comes to Brexit have been watching any current affairs for the last few days.

Certainly have,sadly ate the lot otherwise I'd send you some.
https://youtu.be/htAAzcpWhEs
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on December 15, 2020, 08:43:07 AM
Let's try this;

What do you think would be happening if we voted to remain in 2016?

We not be facing the deep shit we are now.

Borg Refinery

I also wonder if any of the believers in Unicorns on this forum when it comes to Brexit have been watching any current affairs for the last few days.

Let's try this;

What do you think would be happening if we voted to remain in 2016?

It would be the same thing of Brexiters trying to frustrate it and overturn the result for years on end; it would be our govt doing basically the same thing in blaming the EU for everything using daily heil propaganda etc. Almost inevitably, people will demand another referendum.

If people ite for WTO Brexit as they did in Dec 2019, there isn't much you nor I can do.

You can't save peopke from themselves, the fishing industry will die in the Lizard and here in Rock-n-Nore and there ain't a thing can be done about it.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 15, 2020, 07:54:16 AM

Pappy dancing on the head of a pin as ever regarding brexit. There are many arguments for and against brexit to make one pause for thought , but fishing isnt one of them.

Borg Refinery

It means you're a can't, doer so do one and feck off out of Europa.

It means ..actually to be honest, as Baffed once said, FTAs are p much always bad & one sided; as Pascal Lamy ex WTO head said - trade is all about 'clout' and bigger entities invariably always bully smaller ones 100% of the time.

That's conclusive.

What I'm suggesting is that most FTA's (like Trump's reworded version of NAFTA) are really, really bad and usually hurt the poorest and enrich corporations.

Meh, maybe in the event of no deal Brexit we should trade exclusively on WTO terms with everyone, if you think about it on balance, other than smaller countries, we are going to get relentlessly bullied; at least the WTO provides minimal arbitration & protections of a fashion.

When you're locked into a really bad FTA, they can loop you round the rules so it's impossible to get out of.

The TTIP FTA with its 'investor dispute settlement' for letting corps sue foreign govts for 'loss of earnings' was a big eyeopener..
the EU rejected it.

I'm saying, given Tory incompetence, WTO will be preferable to a 100% sellout-to-the-USA FTA and possibly the same is true with the EU, if they end up ceding even more stuff that we already did as an EU member state ...but without a seat at Brussels to even amend or reject anything.
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on December 14, 2020, 09:51:24 PM
So no change there. A third of the UK's fish is already farmed and I can't see wild fishing lasting much longer. And I doubt that Carrie Symonds will allow livestock farming to continue much longer, particularly when farmers can make more money raising crops of holiday homes. :)

Pretty much borkie.

Pappy dancing on the head of a pin as ever regarding brexit. There are many arguments for and against brexit to make one pause for thought , but fishing isnt one of them.

Its like his argument the other day regarding EHIC cards , pure waffle over nothing.

Im not making light of peoples jobs and livelyhoods in the fishing industry , but if pappy wants to throw shit at the tories over brexit , somehow i dont think EHIC cards or fishing is going to make much of an impression for the ordinary person.

Politically and economically its nothing to the uk government , the whole argument is based on symbolism , the ability of the uk gov to be seen to be in control of its own waters.

As you say fishing is small beer to the uk economy , and taking england on its own , the english fleet land only 28% of uk seafood , cornwall a fraction of that , with most of the seafood being landed in the north sea and atlantic west of scotland by the scottish fleet.

So the uk government can afford to do as they please over fishing, as any votes they will lose over it will be in scotland where they havent won an election since 1955 anyway. Whereas if they cave into the eu over fishing , not only does it make them look weak internationally and the eu will smell blood , but their own voters will hang them out to dry.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on December 14, 2020, 07:10:53 PM
What they mean is a largish tranche of British livestock farming will go bankrupt as will inshore fishing.

So no change there. A third of the UK's fish is already farmed and I can't see wild fishing lasting much longer. And I doubt that Carrie Symonds will allow livestock farming to continue much longer, particularly when farmers can make more money raising crops of holiday homes. :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

What they mean is a largish tranche of British livestock farming will go bankrupt as will inshore fishing.

GBNews

Brexit trade deal: What do WTO rules or an Australia-style relationship mean?

If the UK leaves the EU without a trade deal it will have to trade on WTO terms.

Source: Brexit trade deal: What do WTO rules or an Australia-style relationship mean?