Sovereignty is pathetic

Started by Streetwalker, December 20, 2020, 03:59:56 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on December 20, 2020, 11:10:28 PM
Calls on Sky news already for an extension. The double whammy of Covid and Brexit leaves us very vulnerable. Are EU countries reacting this way in closing travel as extra pressure for us to roll over on Brexit?
No toots, the UK unfortunatly has caught this new strain of covid whish is supposed to be 70% more infectious. No news on death rates but we can assume its simular.
No other country wants this strain hence the lockdown. Luckily what ive read suggests the vaccine works on this strain so hopefully we see it contained soon.
An extension is not possible, the uk could change the law they brought in recently which made more extensions illegal, but no way the EU would get a vehicle setup so quickly, i doubt all 27 countries would agree anyway without changes. Such as the UK rebate being removed, law optouts removed etc etc... it would also require the UK paying into the EU budget, say 2yrs at a 25% lift in price as a non member, that sort of thing.

Lets face it, it was very obvious the UK needed an extension, that was possible 5 months ago but Johnson laughed, hes still laughing as he drives brexit Britain into the dark. I dont think this affects him personally, prob why he doesnt seem to care.

Thomas

QuoteBrexit fisheries row: EU fishermen fear 'we will go bankrupt' amid overcrowding scare
BREXIT trade talks could result in French fishermen going "bankrupt" as EU countries fear overcrowded waters without a UK deal.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1363812/brexit-news-fisheries-eu-fear-bankrupt-michel-barnier-france-macron-spt
French fishermen to 'take action' to stop no deal catastrophe as 'Brexit will wipe us out'
FRANCE's fishermen have warned they are ready to "take action" against the UK should the Brexit trade negotiations conclude without a satisfactory agreement on the future of fisheries.

What was it £117 million worth of fish they land in uk waters?

I think the uk should sit tight and hold their nerve.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 21, 2020, 03:23:14 PM
If there is a no deal the EU will with embarrassing haste  be on the phone for an annual fishing agreement .

I doubt that very much.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Tbird on December 21, 2020, 10:46:26 AM
To be honest, it's it the best time for No deal brexit as most EU countries are closing their border to UK anyway?
-
Except, if there is no deal, EU's fishermen are not allowed to plunder our fish anymore. And then the talk will drag on for 2 or 3 more years, by then, most EU's fishing boats would be sold or broken up anyway, so there's no need to allocate quota for them...... Problem solved!  ;D

If there is a no deal the EU will with embarrassing haste  be on the phone for an annual fishing agreement .Without one something like 3000 EU fishing vessels will no longer have access to UK waters from 1st Jan .
Fishing should never have been part of the trade discussions nor even under the EU CFP .  The fishing federations  of Europe are quite capable of reciprocal access even if it is the UK with the best swims  .

Here's the union view http://nffo.org.uk/news/boris-johnsons-edward-heath-moment.html

Tbird

Calls on Sky news already for an extension. The double whammy of Covid and Brexit leaves us very vulnerable. Are EU countries reacting this way in closing travel as extra pressure for us to roll over on Brexit?
To be honest, it's it the best time for No deal brexit as most EU countries are closing their border to UK anyway?
-
Except, if there is no deal, EU's fishermen are not allowed to plunder our fish anymore. And then the talk will drag on for 2 or 3 more years, by then, most EU's fishing boats would be sold or broken up anyway, so there's no need to allocate quota for them...... Problem solved!  ;D

Sheepy

Well, it isn't pathetic, when Brussels wants it all for themselves, funny that.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

QuoteBarnier says UK must respect EU sovereignty in trade talks

The British side has accused the European Union of making 'unreasonable demands'.

Michel Barnier has warned that Britain must be prepared to respect the EU's sovereignty if talks on a post-Brexit trade deal are to succeed.

Brussels chief negotiator said the EU remained committed to achieving "a fair, reciprocal and balanced agreement" but said both sides needed to be able to act when their interests were at stake.

His comments came after a UK Government source warned that the negotiations would fail unless there was a "substantial shift" in the EU's position in the remaining days of the talks.

The British side has accused the EU of making "unreasonable demands" and of failing to respect UK sovereignty over fishing rights and fair competition rules.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/barnier-says-uk-must-respect-eu-sovereignty-in-trade-talks?top

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 20, 2020, 03:59:56 PM
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1374812/Brexit-news-EU-latest-Michel-Barnier-Brussels-fishing-sovereignty-MEP-Heidi-Hautala-vn?fbclid=IwAR06kKSuk8A7M0RDbenewrd3XNziKMgljDcYwv59XIKKskGg69eNECngElY

Its not as if we didn't know that those who run the EU had such beliefs but maybe its right that we should have it confirmed if only to convince the ditherers that we are absolutely correct in leaving deal or no deal .

Bit of a silly statement regarding "sovereignty is pathetic".

The whole brexit debate has been about the clash of uk sovereignty against eu sovereignty.  The eu power and supreme authority over the single market against the uk power and supreme authority .

Its a bit like the old "nationalism" debate we used to have on here , where i was told scottish nationalism was bad , or emily thornberry hinted white van mans english nationalism was bad  , but other nationalisms are good depending on the viewpoint.

Why is the eu refusing to bend its Sovereignty over its internal single market rules to suit the uk any more silly than the uk s sovereignty over fishing demands and refusing to bend to suit the eu?

what a strange outburst.

I dont think these talks are going to go anywhere myself , and the uk isnt going to be taken any more serious till it leaves the eu completely at midnight hogmanay  , and forges on ahead in the post brexit world outside the eu.

papasmurf

Are EU countries reacting this way in closing travel as extra pressure for us to roll over on Brexit?

It isn't just EU countries and I don't blame them for not wanting potential plague carriers from Britain entering their countries.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on December 20, 2020, 11:07:33 PM
When I saw the language I was expecting this to be attributed to Guy Verhofstadt, now where is he? He 's gone quiet.
I'm just expecting Boris the liar to announce another extension, he will name it a 6 month pathway to BS us, but wait and see.

Our friend Guy has been subbed Barry . The Europeans think he is a bit of a loose cannon and they have benched him in the hope that a more mellow tone will sway us . Shame nobody told Heidi ,her views are why there is a gulf between us .
The law says we leave EU transition and adherence to EU law on New years eve . 

Sheepy

The bull is being ramped up now Toots.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on December 20, 2020, 11:07:33 PM
When I saw the language I was expecting this to be attributed to Guy Verhofstadt, now where is he? He 's gone quiet.
I'm just expecting Boris the liar to announce another extension, he will name it a 6 month pathway to BS us, but wait and see.

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 20, 2020, 03:59:56 PM
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1374812/Brexit-news-EU-latest-Michel-Barnier-Brussels-fishing-sovereignty-MEP-Heidi-Hautala-vn?fbclid=IwAR06kKSuk8A7M0RDbenewrd3XNziKMgljDcYwv59XIKKskGg69eNECngElY

Its not as if we didn't know that those who run the EU had such beliefs but maybe its right that we should have it confirmed if only to convince the ditherers that we are absolutely correct in leaving deal or no deal .
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on December 20, 2020, 06:11:29 PM
Didn't do them much good though did it.
It bought them several more years and a May government and Boris is still playing footsie.

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on December 20, 2020, 05:42:30 PMDonors to its campaign are expected to include Bet365, the online gambling firm, Canary Wharf Group, Eurostarand Goldman Sachs as well as three other large investment banks

Didn't do them much good though did it.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.