How dependent is the UK on the EU for food?

Started by GBNews, December 24, 2020, 07:01:13 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 24, 2020, 05:09:03 PM
I have no need of spreading doom and gloom, it is obviously to those not wearing rose tinted spectacles.

what about this one to cheer you up pappy.

A clown just opened the door for me.

I thought it wis a nice jester.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 24, 2020, 05:05:03 PM
Have you phoned them yet?

or are you just looking for another thread to use as a platform to spread doom and gloom?

I have no need of spreading doom and gloom, it is obviously to those not wearing rose tinted spectacles.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 24, 2020, 04:59:17 PM
A lot of food is imported through Felixstowe and the current problems at the port is a serious worry:-

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/sourcing/british-food-trapped-in-europe-as-port-chaos-spreads/651282.article

British food trapped in Europe as port chaos spreads
By Harry Holmes11 December 2020

Food meant for British supermarkets is becoming trapped in Europe as shipping lines refuse to release goods for transport back to the UK.

Numerous shipping lines have begun circumventing Felixstowe port and heading straight to Europe in order to avoid the worst of the disruption caused by increased import volumes and a lack of empty shipping containers.

Food businesses are now reporting their goods have become stuck in Dutch ports, with shipping lines insisting the food must still be shipped to Felixstowe as intended rather than be released to a lorry to drive it to the UK.

Have you phoned them yet?

or are you just looking for another thread to use as a platform to spread doom and gloom?

Really pappy its christmas eve , and you are still a miserable bugger.

climb out form under your bed , pour yourself something to drink and relax with you wife. Crack a joke or something.

here what about this one..

A man was at his friend's coronavirus  funeral and asked the wife if he could say a word.
She agreed.
The man stood at the podium and said, "Plethora."
As he sat back down the wife said, "Thanks, that means a lot."

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 24, 2020, 04:53:19 PM
Get on the phone to them  pappy and tell them how disgusted you are.

im a bit busy pappy at the minute reading up on reactions to johnsons deal , but i will wait with baited breath while you go ahead and make the call.

A lot of food is imported through Felixstowe and the current problems at the port is a serious worry:-

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/sourcing/british-food-trapped-in-europe-as-port-chaos-spreads/651282.article

British food trapped in Europe as port chaos spreads
By Harry Holmes11 December 2020

Food meant for British supermarkets is becoming trapped in Europe as shipping lines refuse to release goods for transport back to the UK.

Numerous shipping lines have begun circumventing Felixstowe port and heading straight to Europe in order to avoid the worst of the disruption caused by increased import volumes and a lack of empty shipping containers.

Food businesses are now reporting their goods have become stuck in Dutch ports, with shipping lines insisting the food must still be shipped to Felixstowe as intended rather than be released to a lorry to drive it to the UK.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 24, 2020, 04:47:53 PM
Thomas given Failing Graylings very well known long serious of cockups, (which you appear totally in ignorance of,) I have to wonder why the due diligence    Hutchison Ports should have done, wasn't done.

Get on the phone to them  pappy and tell them how disgusted you are.

im a bit busy pappy at the minute reading up on reactions to johnsons deal , but i will wait with baited breath while you go ahead and make the call.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 24, 2020, 04:39:37 PM
Get on the phone to the boss at hutchison ports and have a quiet word in  his ear pappy , and give him your expertise and inside knowledge of the politicians in the conservative party. Im sure he would love to hear from you if he isnt pissed on christmas wine and cheer.

Thomas given Failing Graylings very well known long serious of cockups, (which you appear totally in ignorance of,) I have to wonder why the due diligence    Hutchison Ports should have done, wasn't done.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 24, 2020, 04:37:17 PM
It is Failing Grayling very bad.  The man should be unemployable.

Get on the phone to the boss at hutchison ports and have a quiet word in  his ear pappy , and give him your expertise and inside knowledge of the politicians in the conservative party. Im sure he would love to hear from you if he isnt pissed on christmas wine and cheer.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 24, 2020, 04:33:15 PM
ok so its tory bad and you demand the company sack him for being a tory?

Glad we cleared that up then.

Really is a big surprise to hear you hate conservatives pappy.

It is Failing Grayling very bad.  The man should be unemployable.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 24, 2020, 04:05:42 PM
Given Failing Grayling terrible track record in various offices of state why a private company were stupid enough to employ him is something that company needs to address.

ok so its tory bad and you demand the company sack him for being a tory?

Glad we cleared that up then.

Really is a big surprise to hear you hate conservatives pappy.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 24, 2020, 02:55:15 PM
so in the real world , what do you think happens if you arent good at your job?

Given Failing Grayling terrible track record in various offices of state why a private company were stupid enough to employ him is something that company needs to address.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 24, 2020, 02:36:22 PM
I am fully aware of that, but since Failing Grayling was employed by them Felixstowe docks has come close to grinding to a halt.

so in the real world , what do you think happens if you arent good at your job?

Hutchsion ports will terminate his year long contract wont they?

Im not sure what your point was or remains regards to his sacking. Its up to a private business to sack a private individual (in this case an mp working outside of his role as a politician) if he isnt as you allgededly say , doing what he is paid to do.

You seem to be trying to make a political point on somethig outside of politics.

People swtich off in the modern world pappy when you have nothing to say other than i dont like the guy cause hes a tory so think he should be sacked.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 24, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Hutchison ports is graylings employer , only they can sack him .

I am fully aware of that, but since Failing Grayling was employed by them Felixstowe docks has come close to grinding to a halt.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 24, 2020, 01:46:44 PM
Just sacking  Failing Grayling from his £100000 a year advisory job at Felixstowe docks would be a start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54185180

sack him? Are you suggesting johnson?

Hutchison ports is graylings employer , only they can sack him .

The watchdog ACOBA has cleared him to work for the company , so its down to hutchison ports not johnson.

Providing he inst breaking any rules or giving them an unfair advatange im not sure pappy what the problem is?(outside your usual hatred of tories )

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 24, 2020, 01:39:11 PM
to sort out Felixstowe.

Just sacking  Failing Grayling from his £100000 a year advisory job at Felixstowe docks would be a start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54185180

johnofgwent

I think PS is making about half the point here. It does very much depend on exactly what one is considering. We import a lot of food. And we export a lot.

Frankly, we need to regard french f**king around here as an act of war, and send in the army, with guns, to sort out Felixstowe. Park up some gunboats in the channel and we will be fine. Belgium, even Germany, Denmark and several other EU countries WANT to trade with us. Calais is not our only port and we can do it with just containers into felixstowe which IS f**king BIG.

So we CAN survive this, but we might need to shoot a few remainer dictators and a few Frenchmen hell bent on teaching us a lesson for leaving....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>