Indy Dead??

Started by Nick, December 26, 2020, 11:39:50 PM

« previous - next »

morayloon

Quote from: Nick on December 26, 2020, 11:39:50 PM
Now that the UK has secured a very reasonable deal, one that will hand a big slice of fishing rights back to Scotland   , has the rug been somewhat pulled from under Sturgeons feet?
I think this fishing 'problem' does not stand scrutiny. Not many constituencies will be swung by any fishing promise. In fact a study suggested that, in 2016, only 1 constituency voted Leave - Banff & Buchan although next door Moray was on a knife edge. I do not think the good, Indy supporting people in Glasgow will be swayed by the deal provided to the fishing people of Fraserburgh & Peterhead.
On the matter of the Deal, it actually allows free access to UK waters for the next 5 years. The Fishing industry & its leaders are not amused.
As for the 2nd part, I don't see anything changing because of this last minute deal. 62% of Scots voted Remain, I suspect that proportion will rise once Brexit bites. 

QuoteIn my mind this makes it less likely that Parliament is going to grant Indy2. Also would the EU / England /Scotland really want another border issue?
It is imperative that we find a way to eliminate Westminster from this argument once and for all. There is a court case in the offing which will decide whether or not Holyrood has the power to run a referendum  "We can confirm that after the previous hearing, Lady Carmichael has confirmed that the case should be heard fully in a  2 day hearing in the Court of Session on 21 and 22 January 2021".   https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/pas30/ 
Scotland would not be looking for a 'border issue! Are you suggesting that rUK would cause trouble?

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 27, 2020, 11:53:13 AM
I like a bet, but even I wouldn't bet on that.

Neither would I, given the way Scotland has been crapped on by the Brexit deal.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Barry on December 27, 2020, 11:51:15 AMI would expect the Nationalists to lose again.

I like a bet, but even I wouldn't bet on that.

Barry

I don't think it's quite dead, but it won't lie down until there has been another referendum. The argument is valid that the circumstances have now changed since the first referendum. The argument was that if they left the UK, then they would also leave the EU, as if remaining was a good thing.
Now they are out, next year they should be given the opportunity to have another referendum. Preventing a referendum only stokes the fires of their cause.
I would expect the Nationalists to lose again.
Then Indy will be dead.
† The end is nigh †

DeppityDawg

I can hear Rob Roy cracking his knuckles from here  ;D  ;D  ;D

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 27, 2020, 11:46:14 AM

If they do ever get the chance to vote again I wish them well and if successful just hope they dont waste it by joining up with the crooks , beggars and thieves that we have just left

They will have at least got away from the the crooks , beggars and thieves who govern us
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

From my humble abode south of the Thames Scotland seems politically at least a long way away . Ive visited a few times for work and golf comps and must say I like what Ive seen , apart from the weather

When the topic of Scots Indy crops up or any Independence  issues for that matter whether it be Catalans ,Welsh or Scots I try to visualize myself as a native in those countries.  I know for a fact I would be in any Independence camp thats going . Freedom to elect those who rule and having them accountable is a core belief and  those who think likewise will always have ,for what its worth , my support  if from afar .

If they do ever get the chance to vote again I wish them well and if successful just hope they dont waste it by joining up with the crooks , beggars and thieves that we have just left

johnofgwent

I think Sturgeon and the SNP are ideologically welded to the dogma of gaining "independence" which they immediately surrender to Brussels at all costs. I do not see them wavering from that, and the historic low age of motherhood north of the border may well be seen as a useful argument to defray this once in a generation promise... Which got dumped the instant the vote went the other way ...

As to whether this is what the Scots want, that is another matter. We have several unafraid to make their point.

Whether
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

I was reading earlier today that separating Scotland from us would be much tougher than Brexit. I don't think they will be given the chance. They had their vote in a generation. You never know they might grow to like the EU free existence.

Nick

Now that the UK has secured a very reasonable deal, one that will hand a big slice of fishing rights back to Scotland   , has the rug been somewhat pulled from under Sturgeons feet? This is obviously just a question as I  don't know the mood of the Scottish people.

The other side of this is: If Scotland did get independence they would take about 50% of the UK fishing waters with them, that would be a massive bargaining tool to re-enter the EU.

In my mind this makes it less likely that Parliament is going to grant Indy2. Also would the EU / England /Scotland really want another border issue?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.