Suffering from wind.

Started by papasmurf, December 27, 2020, 10:42:43 AM

« previous - next »

Sampanviking

Well I woke up in my bed and not in a tree, so I guess all was ok.
A lot of wind blowing and a lot of heavy rain, but no obvious signs of damage to anything around here.
I have heard from friends of a lot of damage in parts of South Devon.
Overall, it seems that if you were in a sheltered spot, it was all something and nothing, but if you were in a direct firing line, you may well have copped it!

Bright Young Thing

Quote from: Barry on December 27, 2020, 12:19:45 PM
How's the global warming going up in Bonnie Scotland, BYT?

A storm........pfffft in Scotland we just call that weather.

Nothing up here, it was windy but not in excess, very little rain either!!
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on December 27, 2020, 11:26:20 AM
I thought this was going to be about post festivities digestion problems.

Yes there was a bit of a breeze last night.

Oh well if you want to go there I have several horror stories about trying to get anything like the normal festive load down in the wake of having had ones appetite and seemingly also one's ability to eat kicked shitless by the coronapox .....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Sheepy on December 27, 2020, 12:08:36 PM
A storm blowing up the English Channel in the Winter, who would have thunk it.

To be fair, the ones blowing up the Bristol Channel are getting nasty....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on December 27, 2020, 10:42:43 AM
The great feng shui wind god rearranged my back garden last night.  I have found no damage. (yet.) 
Is everyone else OK.

My father, who was not unaccustomed to fixing radar masts, and two of my great uncles who came back from the war to work in the council direct labour organisation taught me how to make sure it would take an avro lancaster to rearrange my garden fittings and fixtures. The view from the third floor of JoG Towers proves that every single item in my garden, right down to the ornamental frame around which we started to train a wisteria, is exactly where i planted, concreted or screwed it as I reconfigured the garden in lockdown and furlough. My fences are unmoved. Also I see my immediate next door retired neighbour, who spent some time in the summer following my lead on sorting out fencing and decking, is equally unaffected by the squall.

I should say both our properties are totally exposed to anything the estuary chucks at us, and over the years we have totally reorganised our front garden plantings following advice of friends of his who have lived near a clifftop for decades, throwing away the ridicolous junk the housing developers planted and replacing it with stuff with decent roots.....

Alas I cannot say the same of the nauseous neighbours across the way from both if us. I can see at least half his shed is embedded in the flood plain roof on end and he will be needing at least three new fence panels. That'll teach him for chucking his junk over my fence (My new cctv caught the bastard actually tipping old coke bottles and plastic shit over my fence and my next door neighbour's a few months back. But he is asian, and does not understand how a British Citizen is expected to behave.

Actually, as i look, i see one of those wayward fence panels has put some bloody mahoosive dents in his pride and joy knockoff limmo. An excellent night then.

Barry

How's the global warming going up in Bonnie Scotland, BYT?
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

A storm blowing up the English Channel in the Winter, who would have thunk it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

This morning there is tree debris all over the road with one or two larger branches on the pavements. Lots of surface water to drive through and last of the rain clearing away.
A few noisy gusts in the night but we sleep on the lee side of the house so it wasn't too noisy.
It was quite a storm though.
Another 20mm of rain to add to the 100mm we had this month.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

I am sleep deprived today after that storm directed itself directly at my bedroom window. I half expected to fly off into the unknown rather like Dorothy in Wizard of Oz! I am relieved to see that my new garage roof remains in place and the sun is shining down. All seems right with the world here but I feel very sorry for those who are struggling with floods and damage etc.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on December 27, 2020, 11:26:20 AM

I have been having problems with that as well, a large portion of Brussel sprouts with the roast duck on Christmas Day plus Brussel Sprouts sandwiches on Boxing Day was bound to have after effects.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Yes there was a bit of a breeze last night.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 27, 2020, 11:10:11 AM

All in all a bit of a damp squib , a 'storm' that did not deserve naming .

Locally it was the worst storm for some time, however after a storm caused a lot of damage some years ago, (more or less every house/building was damaged,) the repairs were a lot stronger than the original.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on December 27, 2020, 10:42:43 AM
The great feng shui wind god rearranged my back garden last night.  I have found no damage. (yet.) 
Is everyone else OK.

Yes , all good here on the Costa del Croydon . The wind has abated and the walls of the extension are sound . (the props helped )  The shed is intact and all fences and trees are where they were when I went to bed .

All in all a bit of a damp squib , a 'storm' that did not deserve naming . 

papasmurf

Is everyone else OK.