Main Menu

The NHS want my BLOOD

Started by johnofgwent, December 27, 2020, 05:45:23 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

so best you get Barry and toots to say a prayer because if they don't work as advertised all hell is going to break loose.

Sheepy

Anyway, what I am going to do about it, roll out the vaccines because that is the only choice left.

johnofgwent

Ooh.

A friend of mine who is a Fellow of the Royal Society has suggested the COVID 19 antiviral properties of blood products are not all they are cracked up to be. Looks like I have a little light reading to do ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nalaar

You seem to be very heavily invested in a personal narrative John, I hope for the sake of others that you get whatever statement you feel you need.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on December 28, 2020, 12:30:15 PM
Have to say john i fully agree with you , im not comfortable with presumed consent in any way.

Even the Plaid Cymru members propping up Labour have seen the light on this.

Frankly, the answer to shortage is education among the whole of society, not the theft they are now empowered to employ.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 28, 2020, 12:16:48 PM

Well, i suppose the issue is, these days, connected to the assumption of presumed consent for harvesting of organs which back in 2009 the Welsh NHS admitted was necessary to provide for the increasing demands of the BAME community who were then, and largely still are, culturally reticent to provide the organs of their own into the pool for the good of all.

Have to say john i fully agree with you , im not comfortable with presumed consent in any way.
'Presumed consent' organ donation in Scotland from next year

Quote The Scottish Government has announced that an 'opt-out' organ donation system will be introduced in March 2021.

At present, people who wish to donate their organs or tissue after their death can join the NHS Donor Register, but in June last year the Scottish Parliament voted to change the law.

From next year, most Scottish residents will be automatically registered to donate unless they explicitly opt out.

https://www.christian.org.uk/news/presumed-consent-organ-donation-in-scotland-from-next-year/
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar on December 28, 2020, 12:05:35 PM
I think this relates back to a previous topic I had on the idea of ownership - specifically ownership of blood in this case. Any sort of attachment to your own blood(ie this is *my* blood) seems wholly counter productive.

As for your specific story John, I don't think you should begrudge the overturning to help someone else because of your experience with the NHS. I am glad to hear you are recovered from the virus.

Well, i suppose the issue is, these days, connected to the assumption of presumed consent for harvesting of organs which back in 2009 the Welsh NHS admitted was necessary to provide for the increasing demands of the BAME community who were then, and largely still are, culturally reticent to provide the organs of their own into the pool for the good of all. It was quite a blatant statement on the NHS Organ donation website and it came as quite a shock to them when certain political parties made hay with their pro-BAME demands.

Like it or not Nalaar, it's my blood and it's staying in me unless I hear some political apologies for the way 133,300 people (according to the latest NHS wales bullshit board) have now been needlessly imprisoned in their homes. That's right. 133,000 have survived this pox, cannot now catch it (for a while) and cannot spread it. That's what the NHS say of me and their latest figures state there are over 133,300 like me in the same boat. Time we survivors stood up and shouted, I think.

Nalaar

I think this relates back to a previous topic I had on the idea of ownership - specifically ownership of blood in this case. Any sort of attachment to your own blood(ie this is *my* blood) seems wholly counter productive.

As for your specific story John, I don't think you should begrudge the overturning to help someone else because of your experience with the NHS. I am glad to hear you are recovered from the virus.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

And if you want to hear "crazy", read on.

One of the wierder harvesting jobs I ever had to do ...

So newborns get a huge, huge amount of their immunity from the first couple of breast feeds......

And the research unit were after some material to work with.

So they sent me, and two of the Iraqi secret agents on the Cardiff team to do a little milking .....

OK. All we did was pick up  the excess material donated.

But I had high hopes my then very recent three month outposting to the National Institute for research in Dairying outpost at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire, and the experience I gained there in hand milking cows, goats and sheep - primary animals in raising antibodies - might be put to use.

Sadly no. What we came to collect was waiting for us in a fridge....

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on December 27, 2020, 06:56:01 PM
I used to give blood, and had to pause it for medication. I always used to think, "I'm doing this for free because I'm a nice chap really"
At the back of my mind was the fact that the NHS were actually getting a product free, which they should be paying for.
They also used to sell off my blood to private hospitals and not pass me back a penny.
So, "nice chap" it is, then.  ;D

History is a damn funny thing.

Six of the research workers in the lab, myself included, used to get rather special invite to the hospital that once stood at the turnoff to Pentyrch from Llantrisant Road Cardiff. It was the regional head office of the blood transfusion service and they wanted our blood because our research work exposed us to all sorts of shit we were immune to. So I'm no stranger to these sort of requests.

Ironically, in a move Hancock (of half hour fame) would have been proud of, as one of the primary centres involved in research into these antigens, we actually quite often got our own back both to prepare the blood products, and to use them in the research project at my second research home, UHW Cardiff ...

It was strange to put it bluntly to be getting your own back.

But the wierd bit was the extraction unit didn't give out tea and biscuits. We were special. We got sandwiches and we even got beer. Ok Shandy and only 2%. But it was ....wierd.

Sheepy

I used to give blood, and had to pause it for medication. I always used to think, "I'm doing this for free because I'm a nice chap really"
At the back of my mind was the fact that the NHS were actually getting a product free, which they should be paying for.
They also used to sell off my blood to private hospitals and not pass me back a penny.
john has been around for a while in politics and has seen the spite that spreads out from the Westminster party, sometimes because of the Westminster party and sometimes by the past decisions taken for us we never asked for. Or any majority ever asked for, I guess eventually it can make people bitter and lose trust in politics completely. Maybe it drives being nice just for the sake of being nice away. Now they want something from him, he doesn't feel nice about it.

Borchester

I used to get a cup of tea and not wishing to be ungrateful and as anyone who has tried NHS tea will understand, I would have given an extra armful to avoid the stuff.

O
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Of course it's because you're a nice chap! It's all about helping others and what goes around comes around!

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on December 27, 2020, 06:50:58 PM
I never met anyone ever who was eternally grateful for anything.

Is that because you have not known anyone eternally?   ;D