Johnson's Christmas Present

Started by BeElBeeBub, December 28, 2020, 07:03:02 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on December 28, 2020, 10:49:08 PM
Well on the amusing side young Nick, considering we would sink never to be seen again after the 1st of January, we seem to have trade deals with one third of the world already.

Gerry has got his EU specs on again, apparently the deal is one sided and stacked in the EU's favour.
Oh how Barnier laughed as he handed out the only zero tariff deal in the EU's history. And when he told the French they will lose 15% of their fishing quota next year I hear he nearly split his sides.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on December 28, 2020, 10:43:00 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention Turkey.

I can't imagine why the EU were so concerned about the level playing field clause 😉.
Well on the amusing side young Nick, considering we would sink never to be seen again after the 1st of January, we seem to have trade deals with one third of the world already.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on December 28, 2020, 10:32:12 PM
https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/uk-turkey-sign-free-trade-193307000.html
Yeah, I forgot to mention Turkey.

I can't imagine why the EU were so concerned about the level playing field clause 😉.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on December 28, 2020, 10:16:12 PM
I can't see the EU playing the Hokey Cokey, or the British people have the stomach to go through this again. Especially if we are flying high.

55 trade deals signed and will go live on 1st January, Canada and Mexico expected early Jan with another 8 in discussion. Plus the EU deal, and I'm now hearing the deal we have with Japan now out strips the deal the EU has.

What's this about leaving the biggest trade bloc? 😂
Will remainers ever admit they were wrong? Never.
https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/uk-turkey-sign-free-trade-193307000.html
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on December 28, 2020, 09:48:14 PM
Which political party would take us back into the EU without another referendum? Would it be possible? So far Starmer hasn't shown any fire in his belly, but a change of leader might make it a question that needs answering. If as suggested the economy is set to pick up substantially fairly quickly once we get the vaccine out properly even the Scots might be tempted to look at their Raison D'etre again.

I can't see the EU playing the Hokey Cokey, or the British people have the stomach to go through this again. Especially if we are flying high.

55 trade deals signed and will go live on 1st January, Canada and Mexico expected early Jan with another 8 in discussion. Plus the EU deal, and I'm now hearing the deal we have with Japan now out strips the deal the EU has.

What's this about leaving the biggest trade bloc? 😂
Will remainers ever admit they were wrong? Never.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on December 28, 2020, 09:43:03 PM
I think you're right T00ts, as long as we keep Labour out of the equation we should be able to build on Brexit.
Lucky Starmer has no clue on how to bring the Labour Party together, he isn't sitting on the fence, he is the fence.

Which political party would take us back into the EU without another referendum? Would it be possible? So far Starmer hasn't shown any fire in his belly, but a change of leader might make it a question that needs answering. If as suggested the economy is set to pick up substantially fairly quickly once we get the vaccine out properly even the Scots might be tempted to look at their Raison D'etre again.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on December 28, 2020, 09:19:44 PM
Isn't it the case that the position we have now will not stay the same? We will now evolve in all sorts of ways - that is surely what the EU has been so scared of. With any sense we will now break some of the chains that have tied us down. I just hope that we have a government now that won't bog us down again with red tape and restrictions just because they are retaining 'EU think'.

I think you're right T00ts, as long as we keep Labour out of the equation we should be able to build on Brexit.
Lucky Starmer has no clue on how to bring the Labour Party together, he isn't sitting on the fence, he is the fence.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on December 28, 2020, 09:15:21 PM
What you're not taking into account is that these services are required by the EU and the UK does it better and cheaper than anyone. This is a short term problem.

Isn't it the case that the position we have now will not stay the same? We will now evolve in all sorts of ways - that is surely what the EU has been so scared of. With any sense we will now break some of the chains that have tied us down. I just hope that we have a government now that won't bog us down again with red tape and restrictions just because they are retaining 'EU think'.

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on December 28, 2020, 07:03:02 PMSadly there appears to be no agreement on services (where the UK has a surplus with the EU27, so not great for the UK).

What you're not taking into account is that these services are required by the EU and the UK does it better and cheaper than anyone. This is a short term problem.

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on December 28, 2020, 07:43:29 PM
I was always likely to be disappointed with any deal that didn't match up to the promises Leave made. This deal comes nowhere near close.

I'm relieved (and a little surprised) we didn't crash out with no deal.

I'm very surprised the EU is able to move quick enough to bring this into force by 1st Jan.

didnt you remainers tell everyone this was impossible and that it was too late to deal while brexiters said the eu always leaves it till last minute?

Once the chinese sniffles is out the way , its looking like (hopefully) an interesting political year beelly.

I think the implications and fine detail of johnsons  deal is far too early to tell to be honest.

It will all filter through in the coming weeks and months.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: cromwell on December 28, 2020, 07:11:00 PMNo actually I'm grumpy but the other six will be along soon

You don't seem that pleased though,why don't we see all the ins and outs before you start on brexit betrayal.

I was always likely to be disappointed with any deal that didn't match up to the promises Leave made. This deal comes nowhere near close.

I'm relieved (and a little surprised) we didn't crash out with no deal.

I'm very surprised the EU is able to move quick enough to bring this into force by 1st Jan.

cromwell

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on December 28, 2020, 07:03:02 PM
I hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Now Johnson has unveiled yet another "fantastic" deal that he absolutely won't be calling terrible and trying to get out of in a few months time, we can ask.

Are you finally happy?

The deal provides goods tariff free access both ways which is good (and a big win for the E27 as they famously have a trade surplus in goods with the UK) - although this is contingent on the two parties maintaining close alignment.

Sadly there appears to be no agreement on services (where the UK has a surplus with the EU27, so not great for the UK).

The fishermen don't seem happy, although they had the choice between being able to catch the fish and being able to export the fish so we're probably always going to be unhappy.

There is a whole galaxy of bureaucracy (over 20 working groups and committees) set up to manage various areas - ironically meeting in Brussels half the time.

From my perspective the upsides are

- It's not "no deal"
- Eliminates tariffs which is good (and vital for some local industries like lamb)

The downsides are

- very little for services
- Losing lots of benefits
- Increased red tape

But the worst downside is I worry that this deal effectively means the brexit split continues.  The one advantage of No Deal would have been it might (and only might) have stopped the "it's not proper brexit" moaning.

My worry is that this will fuel more of the "Dolchstosslegende" (stab in the back) that Brexit was betrayed and any failures are due to it not being "proper brexit".  Would bet a pint that Farage will be using it to grift more cash into whatever new party he concocts of the back of this ("the real brexit party" or some such tosh).

So, Leavers - are you happy?

No actually I'm grumpy but the other six will be along soon :P

You don't seem that pleased though,why don't we see all the ins and outs before you start on brexit betrayal.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

BeElBeeBub

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Now Johnson has unveiled yet another "fantastic" deal that he absolutely won't be calling terrible and trying to get out of in a few months time, we can ask.

Are you finally happy?

The deal provides goods tariff free access both ways which is good (and a big win for the E27 as they famously have a trade surplus in goods with the UK) - although this is contingent on the two parties maintaining close alignment.

Sadly there appears to be no agreement on services (where the UK has a surplus with the EU27, so not great for the UK).

The fishermen don't seem happy, although they had the choice between being able to catch the fish and being able to export the fish so we're probably always going to be unhappy.

There is a whole galaxy of bureaucracy (over 20 working groups and committees) set up to manage various areas - ironically meeting in Brussels half the time.

From my perspective the upsides are

- It's not "no deal"
- Eliminates tariffs which is good (and vital for some local industries like lamb)

The downsides are

- very little for services
- Losing lots of benefits
- Increased red tape

But the worst downside is I worry that this deal effectively means the brexit split continues.  The one advantage of No Deal would have been it might (and only might) have stopped the "it's not proper brexit" moaning.

My worry is that this will fuel more of the "Dolchstosslegende" (stab in the back) that Brexit was betrayed and any failures are due to it not being "proper brexit".  Would bet a pint that Farage will be using it to grift more cash into whatever new party he concocts of the back of this ("the real brexit party" or some such tosh).

So, Leavers - are you happy?