Your name will go on ze list!

Started by Barry, December 28, 2020, 09:10:31 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Bright Young Thing on December 29, 2020, 12:51:48 PM
To be brutally honest, if I received a phone call right now asking me to drive 100 miles to get the vaccine, I'd go.

Hopefully when the Oxford vaccine is approved the furthest I will need to go is five miles.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Bright Young Thing

To be brutally honest, if I received a phone call right now asking me to drive 100 miles to get the vaccine, I'd go.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 29, 2020, 11:28:14 AMThere are at yesterday's count 133,300 of us in this condition..
John, it must be hugely more than that as 2.3 million have tested positive and 70k have died, so it's about 2.23 million!
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 29, 2020, 11:28:14 AM

By the NHS's own admission I need no vaccine. The fact I asked for a test, tested positive, and did not end up in a morgue within the next ten days has given me the status of Covid Survivor on an NHS list. There are at yesterday's count 133,300 of us in this condition..

Even though the Covid Survivor status only confers immunity for a short time - my Fellow of the Royal Society pal suggests it might be as paltry as three months, Jennifer won't ever be having the Pfizer vaccination. She carries two EpiPens for use if she consumes something that triggers her nut allergy. I probably won't either for the same reason in respect of other allergens (beecsting venom was a killer for me in the past and banannas seem to trigger in my throat the same opening inklings of anaphylaxis in me now. I don't care that 'only a few' cases of anaphylaxis have been recorded, I went almost all the way during one of my cataract operations because I used to use a chemical in my research decades ago that they use in eye surgery and I am clearly quite allergic to it now, and I assure you lying on the operating table feeling your temperature skyrocket and your airway close up is effing terrifying. I'm in no hurry to have that again in an under equipped GP surgery....

So does that mean that you advise refusing it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on December 28, 2020, 09:43:47 PM
My first reaction to the arrival of a vaccine was apprehension. It felt too soon, the science was a breakthrough in techniques and it seemed rushed for political as well as health reasons. Having thought about it I see it as my responsibility to have it. Why? I have been protected by society for almost a year. I went to ground almost continuously since March 1st 2020. I am so grateful that many in society did that for me and others. The least I can do now is relieve that effort and the only way I can see to do that is to have the jab.

All those who get infected will infect others. That's not fair. If it means that I have a vaccination passport for the future so be it. Children who have their childhood vaccines are recorded it is no different. If it wasn't for that kids would still be dying in numbers from those ailments vaccination has eradicated.

By the NHS's own admission I need no vaccine. The fact I asked for a test, tested positive, and did not end up in a morgue within the next ten days has given me the status of Covid Survivor on an NHS list. There are at yesterday's count 133,300 of us in this condition..

Even though the Covid Survivor status only confers immunity for a short time - my Fellow of the Royal Society pal suggests it might be as paltry as three months, Jennifer won't ever be having the Pfizer vaccination. She carries two EpiPens for use if she consumes something that triggers her nut allergy. I probably won't either for the same reason in respect of other allergens (beecsting venom was a killer for me in the past and banannas seem to trigger in my throat the same opening inklings of anaphylaxis in me now. I don't care that 'only a few' cases of anaphylaxis have been recorded, I went almost all the way during one of my cataract operations because I used to use a chemical in my research decades ago that they use in eye surgery and I am clearly quite allergic to it now, and I assure you lying on the operating table feeling your temperature skyrocket and your airway close up is effing terrifying. I'm in no hurry to have that again in an under equipped GP surgery....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on December 28, 2020, 09:10:31 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/spain-to-keep-registry-of-people-who-refuse-coronavirus-vaccine/ar-BB1ciyjS
And so it starts. The EU27 want to share a list of refusenick refusejabs.
This is what the Spanish police state regard as "not mandatory".

So who has access to this list then.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

But nevertheless, here is why Barry has a point, when a virus becomes purely political.
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/warns-covid-19-pandemic-not-061951049.html
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on December 28, 2020, 09:55:58 PMIf it is optional they only need to record those who have had it on their records.

So you're fine with a list being kept and made of people who do have the vaccine?
Don't believe everything you think.

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on December 28, 2020, 10:43:39 PM
People get too het-up about freedom of choice - we've only ever had limited freedom of choice. 

Refused a driving licence on medical grounds?  . . . Not allowed to drive.
Don't want to pay for the booze you just bought at Tesco? . . . Expect to be arrested.
Want to smoke sawdust in a restaurant? . . . Expect to get thrown out.
Hold a hog roast in your neighbour's garden without their permission . . . Expect legal action or a punch-up.
Paint your rented cottage all over in panda blobs . . . Expect to be evicted.
Go for a stroll on one of the runways at Heathrow . . . Expect to be arrested.
Allow your child to play truent from school . . . Expect a fine.
And if you're a child . . . Play truent from school and expect your parents to be fined.

As well as freedom, most of us want protection from danger. Without protection society would collapse.

We spend 2.1% of our GDP on military defence, or to put it another way, 'protection'. But what's the point in spending all this money to protect the British people from non-enemies who have no intention of invading us if the government isn't doing everything possible to protect our own people from covid-19.
Well lets hope it is the miracle as advertised then Ducky. I personally don't like some of the backtracking already.

HDQQ

Quote from: Sheepy on December 28, 2020, 10:23:02 PMI get it, freedom of choice, without it, you are no longer a democracy, the Liberal elite don't believe in democracy, they have spread fear at every opportunity and Covid has been a like present they couldn't believe their luck. The only antidote is the vaccine to quell the fear. Some say it is has been planned that way, I think they just ran with it.
People get too het-up about freedom of choice - we've only ever had limited freedom of choice. 

Refused a driving licence on medical grounds?  . . . Not allowed to drive.
Don't want to pay for the booze you just bought at Tesco? . . . Expect to be arrested.
Want to smoke sawdust in a restaurant? . . . Expect to get thrown out.
Hold a hog roast in your neighbour's garden without their permission . . . Expect legal action or a punch-up.
Paint your rented cottage all over in panda blobs . . . Expect to be evicted.
Go for a stroll on one of the runways at Heathrow . . . Expect to be arrested.
Allow your child to play truent from school . . . Expect a fine.
And if you're a child . . . Play truent from school and expect your parents to be fined.

As well as freedom, most of us want protection from danger. Without protection society would collapse.

We spend 2.1% of our GDP on military defence, or to put it another way, 'protection'. But what's the point in spending all this money to protect the British people from non-enemies who have no intention of invading us if the government isn't doing everything possible to protect our own people from covid-19.

As for people who don't believe in democracy. It's the far-right, the far-left and religious extremists that are the worst offenders. It's not the liberal left who are being anti-democratic in the USA right now, is it? The far-right seems to have taken a leaf out of left-wing revolutionaries from a different era and are employing the tactic of rubbishing everything that doesn't align with their own idealism.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on December 28, 2020, 09:55:58 PM
I am absolutely NOT anti vaccinations. All of my children have been vaccinated for all the usual diseases at the appropriate times.
Vaccinations have been excellent for public health.

Having said that, this mRNA vaccination is a completely new idea and long term effects have not been tested, it is unlicensed and the Government have indemnified the manufacturer. There is a reason that people may have doubts about this one.

What I am against is a country making a list of people who refuse, when they say vaccination is optional. If it is optional they only need to record those who have had it on their records.
Not to share a list with other countries, that is a sinister act.
I get it, freedom of choice, without it, you are no longer a democracy, the Liberal elite don't believe in democracy, they have spread fear at every opportunity and Covid has been a like present they couldn't believe their luck. The only antidote is the vaccine to quell the fear. Some say it is has been planned that way, I think they just ran with it.

Barry

I am absolutely NOT anti vaccinations. All of my children have been vaccinated for all the usual diseases at the appropriate times.
Vaccinations have been excellent for public health.

Having said that, this mRNA vaccination is a completely new idea and long term effects have not been tested, it is unlicensed and the Government have indemnified the manufacturer. There is a reason that people may have doubts about this one.

What I am against is a country making a list of people who refuse, when they say vaccination is optional. If it is optional they only need to record those who have had it on their records.
Not to share a list with other countries, that is a sinister act.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Bright Young Thing on December 28, 2020, 09:33:12 PM
Can't help thinking that a list would make me feel safer and more confident about a return to a more normal life.

My first reaction to the arrival of a vaccine was apprehension. It felt too soon, the science was a breakthrough in techniques and it seemed rushed for political as well as health reasons. Having thought about it I see it as my responsibility to have it. Why? I have been protected by society for almost a year. I went to ground almost continuously since March 1st 2020. I am so grateful that many in society did that for me and others. The least I can do now is relieve that effort and the only way I can see to do that is to have the jab.

All those who get infected will infect others. That's not fair. If it means that I have a vaccination passport for the future so be it. Children who have their childhood vaccines are recorded it is no different. If it wasn't for that kids would still be dying in numbers from those ailments vaccination has eradicated.

Bright Young Thing

Can't help thinking that a list would make me feel safer and more confident about a return to a more normal life.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on December 28, 2020, 09:19:08 PMThe State do not own us

You kid yourself. They have always owned us - they just don't usually admit it.