Tesco: Brexit impact on food prices 'very modest

Started by Borchester, December 29, 2020, 02:57:00 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 27, 2021, 05:16:29 PM
Most of that will be covid driven, not Brexit.
I suspect it is probably a combination of the two.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 27, 2021, 04:18:15 PM
I keep noticing everyday commodities going up by huge percentages.

For example, the cat food my mum buys has just gone up from £12 to £13. Thats an 8% increase.

Sparkling flavoured water has increased from 45p a bottle to 55p. Thats an 18% increase.

A litre of petrol - £1.16 a year ago - is now £1.46 - about 27%

The cost of what we buy in supermarkets is soaring.
Most of that will be covid driven, not Brexit. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on November 27, 2021, 04:18:15 PM

For example, the cat food my mum buys has just gone up from £12 to £13. Thats an 8% increase.

Sparkling flavoured water has increased from 45p a bottle to 55p. Thats an 18% increase.

Cat food is a luxury, of course.
Sparkling water is too. All tap water in the UK is drinkable.
Petrol price was a total Covid bubble caused by the lockdown when it went down to 99p at one point, then slowly increased to the current rate.
Hopefully they are charging a bit more to pay their tanker drivers a decent wage.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 26, 2021, 11:51:32 AM
It is minimal compared to that of D*ckHe*d Drakeford. If you hate what Boris does so much in rural Cornwall,  why not sell up and move to a similar accomodation in coastal West Wales. 
I would not move to Wales for a bet. What I hate about Boris has nothing to do with Cornwall. 

papasmurf

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on November 26, 2021, 11:42:43 AM
I don't think the cost of Bojo-The-Clown's ineptitude and the continual cock-ups is a price worth paying.
It is minimal compared to that of Dickhead Drakeford. If you hate what Boris does so much in rural Cornwall,  why not sell up and move to a similar accomodation in coastal West Wales. You'll have the same fun and frolic of shite transport, even worse health care and far more nutters whose boatherings you'll never understand 

Youll have to pay more for your booze too.

And most ambulances are there just to puck up the bodies as they rarely get there in time to make a difference.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 26, 2021, 11:42:43 AM
I don't think the cost of Bojo-The-Clown's ineptitude and the continual cock-ups is a price worth paying.
Really? You never said. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 26, 2021, 11:35:32 AM

I knew this would happen as nothing that does anything to our relations with mainland Europe EVER cuts prices, so I regard it as a cost well worth paying to kick the bastard's in the nuts and run things our way

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on November 26, 2021, 11:04:31 AM
So is a 'modest' rise in food prices a benefit of Brexit? 

I believe I have said more than once on here, probably more than once in reply to you, that it was made clear by several people on various "panels" on various pro remain propaganda broadcasts in 2016 that leaving the EU would probably create a situation where the minimum wage would rise as would wages at the low end of the scale across the board, and that these might not be as welcome as some ay they would be.

I knew this would happen as nothing that does anything to our relations with mainland Europe EVER cuts prices, so I regard it as a cost well worth paying to kick the bastard's in the nuts and run things our way
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on November 07, 2021, 10:39:12 PM
In Germany I once approached a taxi driver and asked him the time in English. He simply said "Scheisse"  - which means "shite" without the e - before winding the window up in disgust. Another German who witnessed this with obvious disgust immediately came over and told me the time.

Perhaps I should draw national lessons from this experience in a modest town in the Rhineland, All German taxi drivers are racist and xenophobic assholes who react in indignation at the sound of foreign languages, whilst all others are paragons of virtue. After all - according to some - that is how logic works, isnt it?

I think it will work in France. The attitude of the bloke in the metro ticket booth (which might tell you how long ago this was) at Gare du Nord was radically different when dismissing my wife's attempts to buy tickets in English and mine when I rocked up behind her and asked for some metro tickets in the gruff picardy accent I picked up from my secondary school French master and someone never dumped

He actually ignored her to serve me

He was not at all pleased when having sorted out the price, I asked her for the cash from her purse where we kept all the foreign muck currencies ...

So yes, I think you should indeed consider every Frenchman employed in the travel sector to be a complete bigot, probably a misogynist and certainly a racist

That's what those trying to invade the UK by rubber raft say about them too.

HDQQ

So is a 'modest' rise in food prices a benefit of Brexit?  
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2021, 01:47:32 AM
And have you read all the previous posts behind Thomas's comment?
He is simply using one mans defence to beat him with.
I was actually agreeing with Thomas and using a personal example sarcastically to demonstrate that drawing national conclusions based upon one isolated situation affecting yourself is rather foolish. I was in essence backing him up.