Doomsday nearly here?

Started by DeppityDawg, December 29, 2020, 10:35:12 AM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

Having been for another tab and inspected the ground outside throughly, I can report that there is absolutely no sign of the sky having fallen in. Not here anyway. Where is the sky where you are?

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

It's interesting

I'm watching France24 News where the three rolling stories are the COVID pandemic that followed France's repatriation of it's citizens from Wuhan, an upcoming extradition treaty that will see China get it's hands on the various Moslem criminals who seem somehow to have escaped from the Chinese labour camps to Ankara (that must have been a hell of a walk) and the departure of Britain from the EU in 3 hours and 14 minutes !!
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 31, 2020, 02:51:31 PM
Actually Brittany Ferries was set up by Breton Farmers to export their goods to the UK.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/about/brittany-ferries#:~:text=Founded%20in%201972%20by%20proud,%2DAngleterre%2DIrelande%2C%20or%20B.A.I.

The bretons have long historical links with cornwall , and historical links as englands allies against the french.

The english and french as we all know dont have the greatest love for each other, but most french i know , having family there for twenty years , having good friends there and having travelled there on and off for the last 25 years , dont have much love for the EU either , or their own government.

Things will settle down comfortably once remainers take their medicine.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 31, 2020, 05:44:28 PM
Only for the first few years, since the 70's it's been bringing holiday makers on various routes. But you know that and are just playing games.
Not playing games at all, Brittany Ferries still carries a significant amount of Breton farmers produce into Britain.

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/freight-keeps-rolling-on-with-brittany-ferries/
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 31, 2020, 02:51:31 PM
Actually Brittany Ferries was set up by Breton Farmers to export their goods to the UK.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/about/brittany-ferries#:~:text=Founded%20in%201972%20by%20proud,%2DAngleterre%2DIrelande%2C%20or%20B.A.I.

Only for the first few years, since the 70's it's been bringing holiday makers on various routes. But you know that and are just playing games.

Streetwalker

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 31, 2020, 02:23:06 PM
On the most part I agree, only thing is that Brittany Ferry's were set up with the specific purpose of ferrying Brits and their money to France. They're going to do everything in their powers to keep that going.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 31, 2020, 02:13:16 PM

I think France will. It's in the blood.They f**king hate us.Period.

There is a ferry that runs all the way down the bay of Biscay to a port in Spain very near the French border. I forget it's name. My brother used the route a lot when his kids were younger and he took a caravan on the back of his land rover discovery to campsites in the south of France, Spain and Portugal.

I rather strongly suspect that route will be heavily used next year assuming the plague is driven off.

I see Portugal, and particularly Madeira, are bending over to provide cheap flights to and from the UK.

I am going to Zakynthos, plague permitting, and I already know from my inbox the Greek government and the hotel are bending over to welcome my English pounds. Exactly as Italy did in 1981 and 1988.....

I shall arrange my travel plans to go where I am welcome. France can choose to be pragmatic and take my money as I sit at a cafe near the Eiffel Tower as my daughter did some years ago or they can be their shitty gallic selves and see my money spent elsewhere. Their choice. Their loss.

On the most part I agree, only thing is that Brittany Ferry's were set up with the specific purpose of ferrying Brits and their money to France. They're going to do everything in their powers to keep that going.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on December 31, 2020, 01:39:47 PM
Do you seriously think France, Spain and the like are going to do anything to stop Brits getting there?

Spain receives 18 million brits per year, 60% more than any other country. Same with France (12.5 million) and Portugal has built dedicated passport lanes for the UK.

Doesn't sound like there is going to be too much trouble to me.

I think France will. It's in the blood.They fucking hate us.Period.

There is a ferry that runs all the way down the bay of Biscay to a port in Spain very near the French border. I forget it's name. My brother used the route a lot when his kids were younger and he took a caravan on the back of his land rover discovery to campsites in the south of France, Spain and Portugal.

I rather strongly suspect that route will be heavily used next year assuming the plague is driven off.

I see Portugal, and particularly Madeira, are bending over to provide cheap flights to and from the UK.

I am going to Zakynthos, plague permitting, and I already know from my inbox the Greek government and the hotel are bending over to welcome my English pounds. Exactly as Italy did in 1981 and 1988.....

I shall arrange my travel plans to go where I am welcome. France can choose to be pragmatic and take my money as I sit at a cafe near the Eiffel Tower as my daughter did some years ago or they can be their shitty gallic selves and see my money spent elsewhere. Their choice. Their loss.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 31, 2020, 11:01:59 AM
I've just had a quick check on the sky. I know there are still 12 hours to go, but its still in the sky. I'm wondering whether spending all that money on these accros is going to have been a waste of money?
We've had frost all day, it hasn't melted. Do you think the Sun has lost its power DD? Is there anything we can do to reverse what we have done?
Should we beg Barnier to turn the Sun back on before we all freeze to death?

† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 31, 2020, 11:53:16 AM
Idiotic predictions?  You keep on lying about what I predicted. Even with a deal, many of my predictions seem accurate. (Free movement is much curtailed of UK citizens who wish to go to Europe even as a tourist.)
You need to check on the new regulations.

Do you seriously think France, Spain and the like are going to do anything to stop Brits getting there?

Spain receives 18 million brits per year, 60% more than any other country. Same with France (12.5 million) and Portugal has built dedicated passport lanes for the UK.

Doesn't sound like there is going to be too much trouble to me.