Walking and Talking in China

Started by Sampanviking, December 30, 2020, 12:57:00 AM

« previous - next »

Sampanviking

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 03, 2021, 03:17:23 PM
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1378729/nigel-farage-news-twitter-brexit-china-communist-party-EU-independence-hong-kong-video-ont

China is a threat to our liberty  .......According to Farage his next mission , now Brexit is done , is to expose China for what it is ..   

We are all maybe to varying degrees aware of its human rights violations ,Hong Kong and Tibet independence and persecution of religions  .  If that and more can be brought to the attention of the masses maybe some will think twice before clicking 'buy'

Well if thats true, hes lost my vote.
How exactly is China a threat to our liberty??
Yeah and you know lectures about oppression on China enforcing its law and sovereignty over Chinese territory, from a country that a hundred years ago still occupied 25% of the world surface through Aggression, is actually a bit rich.

Sampanviking

Quote from: Barry on January 03, 2021, 01:54:46 PM
Do you know this Canadian guy, SPV?
He seems to be a propagandist.
Ask him to tell us about religious freedoms in China. Because people are harassed and arrested for their beliefs.

This utopian China sounds great though. I must book a holiday. I'll take a few Bibles when I go and perhaps preach in one of the local evangelical churches.

Kirk? Well in many ways, he is me, at least me as I would have been had I settled in China twenty years ago when the offer was extended. He has been making videos for a long time, originally just for family and friends who wanted to know what his life over there was like. After time he got a large following. Simple as that.

As for the other matters. If you go to any country with an Agenda to break the law, your feet will not touch the ground. There are many faiths and denominations that worship freely in the PRC and there are some that are banned. Yes they discourage what they call "Cults spreading superstition" and I like that about the place.
Which Bible would you bring with you and how many? If its two or three King James's in your luggage no one would give a damn. If its crate loads, you would probably need an import license.
Out of interest Barry, which Church do you belong to?

Streetwalker

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1378729/nigel-farage-news-twitter-brexit-china-communist-party-EU-independence-hong-kong-video-ont

China is a threat to our liberty  .......According to Farage his next mission , now Brexit is done , is to expose China for what it is ..   

We are all maybe to varying degrees aware of its human rights violations ,Hong Kong and Tibet independence and persecution of religions  .  If that and more can be brought to the attention of the masses maybe some will think twice before clicking 'buy' 

Barry

Do you know this Canadian guy, SPV?
He seems to be a propagandist.
Ask him to tell us about religious freedoms in China. Because people are harassed and arrested for their beliefs.

This utopian China sounds great though. I must book a holiday. I'll take a few Bibles when I go and perhaps preach in one of the local evangelical churches.
† The end is nigh †

Sampanviking

cromwell

From my perspective I'm not anti China,certainly not the people.....Manchester and Liverpool have large well established Chinese communities.

In fact in my younger days one of my old drinking pals was Chinese though if you'd shut your eyes and just heard his accent you'd never known his heritage..

However don't expect me to embrace the Chinese regime,they and the people are two different things.

China will IMO overtake the USA as no 1 world power and I don't trust any of them to varying degrees.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sampanviking

Gweilo 60 talks about what makes a good or a bad expat whilst wandering around a downtown area of Nanning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Ytqouqezg

Sampanviking

Sheer size - ohh yes, but I see that more of an opportunity than a threat, guess those that fear the worst just tell us more about themselves than they do about China.

Never been to Shanghai, never been that far north. All my visits have been in the South, mainly HK and Guangdong around the Pearl River Bay and Delta, where it is usually warm. Shanghai can get really cold. Why would I fly 8000 miles to freeze my arse off, when I can do that quite easily at home. Counterfeiting and IP is an interesting topic and not straight forward. Maybe a separate thread for that.

Anyhow this video is the young Canadian Guy talking to random kids in the middle of Guangzhou on Christmas Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jIdpJXFrw

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on December 30, 2020, 12:57:00 AM
Its no secret that I am a Sinophile. I have been married to a Chinese lady for twenty years and I have more relations in Hong Kong and Southern China than I do in the UK.
I know China and I know that it is a great place to be, a great place to live and a country that still offers opportunity and the prospect of a better life to those that are prepared to work.

It does then, worry me very much at the constant media and political class propaganda that seem intent in making China the new existential enemy of the West.
It worries me, as somebody who knows the country and people and that the vast majority of this anti China propaganda is total BS
It worries me that the powers that be, are doing all they can to make us hate and fear a nation and a people, that:
are not exporting a Religion that is looking to displace the established faiths of the West
are not exporting an Ideology or Political system that seeks to displace the established political systems of the West
has no territorial claim or ambition on territory that is sovereign of any Western Country.
Neither is China an oppressed Totalitarian state with a population begging and preying for the intervention of White Saviours, to rescue them from their own Government.

I could spend hours and pages arguing aspects of this case, but I think I have a better way.

I am going to post walk and talk videos from China based You Tubers in this thread. Some will be posted because of the things being discussed, but mostly they will be posted for the background and ambience of every day life, that these videos contain. The very pictures that do indeed, speak a thousand words.
To open, a walk and talk on a December Guangdong Beach with Daniel Dumbrill, who addresses many of the issues that I have raised in this Prolouge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9mk9gIrwoc

It's because they fear numbers, the sheer size of the population and what they could do to the world economies if they reached their true potential. One of the blockers on this is the size of the counterfeit market, if you know Shanghai you'll know the 4 storey copy market on Nanjing Lù. The western world won't accept this level of fake goods coming into their markets.

As for Hong Kong, I prefer it to China, especially Kowloon. I usually stay at the Holiday Inn on Golden mile.
I also remember flying into the old Kai Tak airport, not for the faint hearted.

No bad feeling from me about the region, I love it.

https://youtu.be/8ouFX95ADTE
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sampanviking

Christmas Church Service in Southern China (either Guangzhou or more likely, Shenzhen)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsMmjCRcMPY

Thomas

Quote from: Sampanviking on December 30, 2020, 12:57:00 AM
Its no secret that I am a Sinophile. I have been married to a Chinese lady for twenty years and I have more relations in Hong Kong and Southern China than I do in the UK.
I know China and I know that it is a great place to be, a great place to live and a country that still offers opportunity and the prospect of a better life to those that are prepared to work.

It does then, worry me very much at the constant media and political class propaganda that seem intent in making China the new existential enemy of the West.
It worries me, as somebody who knows the country and people and that the vast majority of this anti China propaganda is total BS
It worries me that the powers that be, are doing all they can to make us hate and fear a nation and a people, that:
are not exporting a Religion that is looking to displace the established faiths of the West
are not exporting an Ideology or Political system that seeks to displace the established political systems of the West
has no territorial claim or ambition on territory that is sovereign of any Western Country.
Neither is China an oppressed Totalitarian state with a population begging and preying for the intervention of White Saviours, to rescue them from their own Government.

I could spend hours and pages arguing aspects of this case, but I think I have a better way.

I am going to post walk and talk videos from China based You Tubers in this thread. Some will be posted because of the things being discussed, but mostly they will be posted for the background and ambience of every day life, that these videos contain. The very pictures that do indeed, speak a thousand words.
To open, a walk and talk on a December Guangdong Beach with Daniel Dumbrill, who addresses many of the issues that I have raised in this Prolouge.

I have always viewed china as somewhere between the oppressed state  that the propaganda merchants in this country would have you believe , and the utopia some in the chinese government would try and present.

People will believe what they want to believ , but i do think sampan the days of the western world and its thoughts being controlled by the ordinary media as it were are waning .

I wont ever forget the run up to the scottish indy referendum in 2014 , were  as many have said , we scots had to tune into foreign news broadcasters like russia today and others to view events that were happening in our own country.

member as well back in 2011 i think it was , after the furore of the scot government releasing al megrahi on compassionate grounds from prison under our scottish law , and the bbc  , during the invasion of libya , was telling audiences that megrahi was on the run along with the libyan regime ( with the insinuation there was nothing wrong with him medically) while as you flicked over the news channels to CNN i think it was , they were standing next to megrahis hospital bed with the man on life support and his aged mother i think it was crying over him as he was dying.

Remember as well the russia world cup  in 2018 , and beautifull resorts like sochi , where i was astounded at how nice the russian cities looked on average  compared the again media insinuations and propaganda the russians were all peasants living in clapped out communist cities from another era.?

I think most people have come to realise the truth between what polar opposites present is normally somewhere in the middle.

...bit like covid or brexit.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sampanviking