Multiple voting

Started by Major Sinic, November 12, 2019, 04:00:29 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry post_id=5619 time=1573645182 user_id=51
They probably suffer from cognitive dissonance, or are just a bit thick.

Anyway,no stopping us now,the motorhome runs veg oil,completely off grid and new interior.Led touch lights,led step lights and for good measure led under cabinet led lighting.No excuses for falling up the steps if you have had a Budweiser.Blow Air central heating running 12 volts.All run via a large solar panel and MPPT charger,no expense spared.Even fitted a relay that uses spare charge back from solar batteries to main battery and one from main battery with engine running to solar batteries and 12v fridge.Now I am off to off topic.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell post_id=5622 time=1573645814 user_id=48
Is it crass when you use that phrase to so many forum members at some time or other?

Mr hush,hush,has had a sense of humour removal,but we knew that.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=5622 time=1573645814 user_id=48
Is it crass when you use that phrase to so many forum members at some time or other?

Suffering from cognitive dissonance is not the same as being thick. Highly intelligent people suffer from it. It is not an insult.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=5620 time=1573645456 user_id=89
Actually that is not funny, and you may be skilled on the use of IT but 20% of the population are not. Insulting that 20% is crass.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=5619 time=1573645182 user_id=51

Actually that is not funny, and you may be skilled on the use of IT but 20% of the population are not. Insulting that 20% is crass.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=5617 time=1573644940 user_id=89
I suspect due to the complexity of registering a significant number of people would be unable to register on government gateway system.

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=5616 time=1573644632 user_id=51

The government gateway system is simply a password based system

I suspect due to the complexity of registering a significant number of people would be unable to register on government gateway system.

Barry

Quote from: Javert post_id=5608 time=1573640465 user_id=64
We haven't moved to an electronic or internet based voting system, partly because it's a huge project I guess, and partly because it's claimed to be not secure enough.  However, this then begs the question, if we trust our bank to figure out how to manage our finances online and securely with 99.9999% accuracy and fraud prevention, why is it beyond the ability of humankind to develop an election system on a similar basis.  What I would say is that even if this was in place, there should still be an option for people to vote physically using post or election office.

It's very do-able, but as Sheepy says, moves towards total control. Every person has to apply to an authority, such as town hall, police station, or the like for a digital ID, which is a small file, similar to a cookie, which identifies the person on government websites.

The government gateway system is simply a password based system which has the added security of a postal address check, but does not involve identity through a computer file.

Computer illiterate people find the online digital signature system very difficult to install.

As for DNA, that is a step too far, as it is open to abuse by insurance companies and any Tom Dick or Harry who buys or hacks the info.
† The end is nigh †

Javert

Why single out students?

I'm pretty sure it's not that difficult to defaud the election system and get more than one vote even if you're not a student simply by making fraudulent entries on the Electoral Register - the system of checks there is not that rigorous from what I've seen.

Further, it's also possible to steal someone elses vote if you know their name and address simply by turning up at the polling station before them, and once they arrive later on in the day, there is nothing that can be done about it because the polling boxes are sealed.

We haven't moved to an electronic or internet based voting system, partly because it's a huge project I guess, and partly because it's claimed to be not secure enough.  However, this then begs the question, if we trust our bank to figure out how to manage our finances online and securely with 99.9999% accuracy and fraud prevention, why is it beyond the ability of humankind to develop an election system on a similar basis.  What I would say is that even if this was in place, there should still be an option for people to vote physically using post or election office.

Sheepy

The good and bad side of internet technology,one side cannot wait to take totalitarian control,while the other says no that isn't what the internet is about,it is for freedom through education.Whereas politicians and civil servants just want the shortest route to complete control.

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=5599 time=1573634347 user_id=69
I would not even hazard a guess at how many times someone may have tried or actually got in, I don't do guesses

The DWP digital by default system for applying for benefits is a hackers/scammers paradise. However that is very much an exception.

Using the Government Gateway on the other hand is enough to make anyone lose the will to live because of the security checks.

(My wife and I come close to a nervous breakdown every time we use it.)

Churchill

I would not even hazard a guess at how many times someone may have tried or actually got in, I don't do guesses
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=5595 time=1573633639 user_id=69

The Database  would be a major target for hackers from around the world, from nerds in their bedrooms, terrorists, to rouge states and their security services no system is 100% safe or secure all the time.

Multiple data bases, from HMRC, birth records, National Insurance, DVLA, medical records and many others.  The likelihood  of that happening in anything but a tiny number of cases is miniscule.

Churchill

It would depend how secure the system is which would have to constantly monitored and updated , and how efficient the checking of the ID cards is when demanded.

The Database  would be a major target for hackers from around the world, from nerds in their bedrooms, terrorists, to rouge states and their security services no system is 100% safe or secure all the time.

But we are talking about a simple UK based ID card issued to British Citizens it would depend how far the Government of the day wanted to go , and if the majority of people supported it , many will not on principle or becuase they want to stay under the radar for reasons best known to them
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=5590 time=1573631646 user_id=69

That is why I agree with you, that is why we need a proper ID card instantly checkable by the authorities  , that is difficult if at all possible but doubtful that cannot be easily forged, there is always a way around any security system but as least we could make it a difficult as possible

Anyone trying to forge an ID card would also have to hack into multiple government data bases and add a file to them.