Defra ban pulse fishing immediately

Started by Barry, January 01, 2021, 12:51:12 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on January 02, 2021, 01:22:36 PM
Looking at sychronised Micro Drone technology, this should not now be difficult to keep a net suspended over the seabed and never make contact with it.

Not much good when they are fishing for scallops, which wreak havoc.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 02, 2021, 01:15:10 PM
I see that gun boats were dispatched at in readiness for New Year. @papasmurf have you heard any big bangs?

It would  take at least ten patrol vessels permanently in the English Channel to be of any use. Then there is the rest of the coastal waters.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sampanviking

Quote from: Nick on January 02, 2021, 12:24:45 PM
Personally I think they should ban any fishing that involves dragging anything along the sea bed. It take 10 years +  to recover.

Looking at sychronised Micro Drone technology, this should not now be difficult to keep a net suspended over the seabed and never make contact with it.

T00ts

I see that gun boats were dispatched at in readiness for New Year. @papasmurf have you heard any big bangs?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 02, 2021, 12:24:45 PM
Personally I think they should ban any fishing that involves dragging anything along the sea bed. It take 10 years +  to recover.

There are restriction and bans that have been in place for many years, those in this link have been added to in recent years:-

https://www.cefas.co.uk/publications/techrep/tech106.pdf

Nick

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 02, 2021, 12:05:11 PM

ELECTRIC pulse fishing is an exploitation of a neat trick certain predatory fish have of chucking out electric currents that bugger their prey's sensory systems. I'm recalling that from the zoology modules I studied back in 76 so my memory of EXACTLY how it works is shaky ....

In depth and detail  electric pulse fishing:-

https://www.pulsefishing.eu/what-is-pulse-fishing/techniques

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on January 01, 2021, 09:36:51 AM
What is pulse fishing? Do fish have a pulse?  ???

They do, seeing as they have both a heart and a blood supply, but that's not what this is about

The reason for my query was I'm sure I first heard the term 'pulse fishing' about 15 years ago in a context akin to crop rotation on organic farms.

The conversation I was having at the time was in the context of setting up a fish farm in the fast glowing Menai straits, using its fast flowing waters to reduce pest infestation, and my input was to be the adoption of my former research on maintaining live isolated  mammalian cells in hydroculture to "growing" a supply of the live food the farmed fish would need.

This whole project went down the toilet when the cottage burners persuaded the planners we would be an unwelcome invasion of English speakers into the Lleyn Peninsula. I went off to make thirty five grand in one year converting horse shit into organic compost near Abergavenny, a venture screwed over by Blair imposing a licence costing several thousands of pounds in any vehicle moving horse shit, and the entrepreneur interested in fish farming f**ked off to somewhere near Bulgaria, or Croatia.

ELECTRIC pulse fishing is an exploitation of a neat trick certain predatory fish have of chucking out electric currents that bugger their prey's sensory systems. I'm recalling that from the zoology modules I studied back in 76 so my memory of EXACTLY how it works is shaky ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 02, 2021, 11:29:59 AM
How could you know that? If they switch their call sign off how would YOU know? If you're going to tell me that the local fishermen know this then there would be riots and it would be all over the news.

I know because it is common practice, if ship position beacons are switched off, they are invisible on the location system.
Local fishermen do the same thing.
Just checked on the locator system  for the sea  near my location are two local fishing vessels on it.  I suspect if I went down to the point with my trusty Jenopta  binoculars I would see far more fishing boats than two.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 02, 2021, 11:05:34 AM
Might get a visit, given the number of fishing boats of many nations in UK waters with the locator switched off, because they don't want other fishing boats to know where they are.

How could you know that? If they switch their call sign off how would YOU know? If you're going to tell me that the local fishermen know this then there would be riots and it would be all over the news.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 02, 2021, 11:01:34 AM
All commercial boats SHOULD transmit their international call sign. UK fisheries can cross reference the call sign with their radar position and determine if they should be there. Any boats that pop up on radar that are not transmitting their call sign get a visit from the high speed RIB.

Might get a visit, given the number of fishing boats of many nations in UK waters with the locator switched off, because they don't want other fishing boats to know where they are.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on January 01, 2021, 10:49:56 AM
How will we be able to stop them - Gunboats ?   :-*

All commercial boats SHOULD transmit their international call sign. UK fisheries can cross reference the call sign with their radar position and determine if they should be there. Any boats that pop up on radar that are not transmitting their call sign get a visit from the high speed RIB.

Sheepy

Thats right the rear Admiral has some new boats to play with in his bath. But on a serious note, they ain't just for show.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 01, 2021, 11:53:10 AM
If thats what it takes . I guess we will have fisheries protection boarding vessels in British waters from time to time checking they are complying with OUR rules .
And aircraft, as I posted in another thread.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on January 01, 2021, 10:49:56 AM
How will we be able to stop them - Gunboats ?   :-*

If thats what it takes . I guess we will have fisheries protection boarding vessels in British waters from time to time checking they are complying with OUR rules .