Brexit: Seven things changing on 1 January

Started by GBNews, January 01, 2021, 01:12:46 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

'No bottlenecks': France's bustling Calais port ready for Brexit

MENAFN - AFP) Officials at the port of Calais, the main ferry crossing point between England and France, said Thursday they are looking forward to life after Brexit with "serenity", confident of having made all the necessary preparations.

"We really think we have planned everything: we've done dry runs, created parking areas, invested 13 million euros ($15.6 million), worked with customs, (and set up) a smart border," port president Jean-Marc Puissesseau told AFP.

"We regret Brexit, but we don't fear it... We are serene because for three years now we have been able to perfect everything we've prepared" for Britain's exodus from the European Union, Puissesseau said.

https://menafn.com/1101368734/No-bottlenecks-Frances-bustling-Calais-port-ready-for-Brexit

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Both bosses of the port of dover and calais ar extremely confident of things running smoothly much to pappys dismay.

poor auld pappy . ;D

Thomas

QuotePort bosses in Dover and Calais expect freight to move smoothly at start of next year

Executives at Dover and Calais ports have expressed confidence that freight will keep flowing at the start of next year – despite predictions of queues of up to 7,000 lorries in Kent.

Track record

Bosses at both Dover and Calais port told Lloyd's Loading List that they were confident freight can continue to move smoothly between the UK and France despite the new border checks and controls.

"The thing about the Port of Dover, is that it is in constant motion all the time, and that traffic fluidity is really important," said Doug Bannister, chief executive in Dover.

"The other side of it is that we've got such high-frequency, high-capacity ferry services that when there is disruption, we've got a proven track record to be able to clear it very quickly," he added.
Procedures in place

Jean-Marc Puisesseau, president of the company running the port of Calais, was also confident, saying:

"Even if there are more controls than we expected, it will not block the traffic – it will be put in the special parking on the side, the flow of traffic will continue. I am not anxious."

Puisesseau added that both Calais and Dover have implemented procedures to pull lorries aside if they do not have the proper paperwork in order to keep freight moving.

https://www.export.org.uk/news/544053/Port-bosses-in-Dover-and-Calais-expect-freight-to-move-smoothly-at-start-of-next-year.htm

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 04:29:07 PM
It also looks as if trouble is expected at Dover and in the long term:-

are you hopefull of trouble pappy?

I bet you are frothing at the mouth choking for something to go tits up.

I dont have much hope though after your recent and newest failure to predict the apocalypse last night.

What happend pappy this time?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 01, 2021, 03:49:43 PM

I think the real acid test will be January 4th at Holyhead and Fishguard.

It also looks as if trouble is expected at Dover and in the long term:-

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 01, 2021, 03:49:43 PM

The Welsh Assembly Fuckwits have deliberately, as policy, done f**k all to support BREXIT, hoping that the Remoaner Sabotage plan would come about.

January 4th is crunch day.

A shitload of trucks will be wanting to truck shit to the Irish Republic because they're too tight fisted to pay to have their EuroShit shipped down the English channel and across the Irish sea. And ditto in reverse.

We will see how it goes.

I have no idea how it will go.

I suspect the dual carriageways south of the replacement for the Menai bridge, and the bloody great asphalt car park at Cross Hands where a bunch of Islamists were hell bent on building a halal slaughter house and got their arses kicked and their plans thrown out, will have a lot of parked trucks in them, because the twats in the bay are hoping to cause chaos.

We shall see

welsh labour , like scottish labour  , are merely political puppets who would see and have seen , wales and scotland crash and burn simply to make a politcal point against the tories for their labour masters in london.

As i said john , im not sure why wales votes for them , but i hope the welsh wake up to labour one day as the scottish and northern english have.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on January 01, 2021, 12:34:34 PM
how do you know that?

This is the first day out the eu , and you said yourself its a bank holiday , with little travel , and yet you can yet again predict doom and gloom into the future ?

You are a hysteric smurf , who wallows in doom .

You predicted the end of the world would happen last night ,and it never happened , so i dont think many are going to take you and your bleak crystal ball gazing seriously do you?

The Welsh Assembly Fuckwits have deliberately, as policy, done F@@@ all to support BREXIT, hoping that the Remoaner Sabotage plan would come about.

January 4th is crunch day.

A shitload of trucks will be wanting to truck shit to the Irish Republic because they're too tight fisted to pay to have their EuroShit shipped down the English channel and across the Irish sea. And ditto in reverse.

We will see how it goes.

I have no idea how it will go.

I suspect the dual carriageways south of the replacement for the Menai bridge, and the bloody great asphalt car park at Cross Hands where a bunch of Islamists were hell bent on building a halal slaughter house and got their arses kicked and their plans thrown out, will have a lot of parked trucks in them, because the twats in the bay are hoping to cause chaos.

We shall see
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 12:30:08 PM
They don't appear to be doing that.

how do you know that?

This is the first day out the eu , and you said yourself its a bank holiday , with little travel , and yet you can yet again predict doom and gloom into the future ?

You are a hysteric smurf , who wallows in doom .

You predicted the end of the world would happen last night ,and it never happened , so i dont think many are going to take you and your bleak crystal ball gazing seriously do you?

papasmurf

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 12:19:36 PM
I am not moaning, merely keeping up to speed with the regulations.

So will everyone else. Already told you that , its not a problem .

If you think a few regualtions is going to get everyone to vote to rejoin the eu and vote for labour , you are even more batty than i thought you were.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on January 01, 2021, 12:17:27 PM

As i said all this bullshit moaning from smurf is exactly that , utter cac.

I am not moaning, merely keeping up to speed with the regulations.

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 01, 2021, 12:11:44 PM

And if they kick up a fuss, I'm sure DFDS Seaways ? will be delighted to take the lorries and the tourists to Ostend.

They were my ferry operator of choice when I was channel hopping, because their service to Dunkerque, while admittedly at least 30% more expensive than the run to Calais (I didn't care, that went on the expense sheet) gave me time to relax, unwind and get some food down me from a proper plate and proper knife and fork !!

My daughter wants to be a translator john , and  is in her final year of school .German and spanish , and she has become pretty fluent in german.

So talking about belgium , we are hoping once the chinese sniffles is over to go in the caravan to germany this year. We were talking about it last night.

As i said all this bullshit moaning from smurf is exactly that , utter cac.

The idea life is going to be made difficult for the cash laden scottish and english tourist to europe because of brexit is a load of absolute pish , and if it does , somehow i cant see the french and all the rest taking the side of the eu over it.

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg on January 01, 2021, 12:08:49 PM
I dropped Mrs Dawgs morning coffee on the kitchen floor this morning. Do you think it might have anything to do with Brexit?

;D ;D ;D  Call in - you will make the nationals with a story like that! 

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on January 01, 2021, 12:03:03 PM
Yeah have visited France a good few times,I like the Charente and my missus loves her cognac 8)  and the tours of the various cognac makers :).
The French in general like to see us houghts they do smile at ze old Englishman who wears socks with his shorts and sandals.

France has greatly changed i nthe time i have been going there cromwell , from the days of the old booze cruise , when every car you saw in northern france was some clapped out renault or citroen banger , and no one would speak english , to the more modern france  , which is getting expensive , and very few under the age of fifty now arent fluent in english.

All the wee french kids walkiing about with i phones listening to yank music and rap , and macdonalds popping up eveyrwhere and supermarkets replacing all the old style shops as they have here.

When the french dont see any  uk cars on their roads they think it strange.

We stayed around poitiers two years ago , and the guy who owned the french campsite spoke fluent english , his wife was english and she worked there with him , they met apparently in cambridge , and the site itself was full of english and dutch.

The worst thing about the holiday was the heat , it was 40 degrees in the city of poitiers , i had to run in a shopping centre to get into the air conditioning .

Nothing  like the old france of twenty or thrity years ago.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on January 01, 2021, 10:45:52 AM
one thing that will never change is that france is the most visited country inthe world , and the frenchman will still desperately want the englishman or scot among many others travelling there spending their cash.

I have driven the length and breadth of france cromwell over the last two decades or so , and all you see on the french roads  in summer are english and scottish vehicles. I bet you anything you like it doesnt change much at all despite what the doomongers will have you believe.

In a way though , if the eu does make it difficult for uk travellers , i can see it having the oppostie effect to what remoaners think , it wont make us want to rejoin , it will simply make european countries angry with brussells and their red tape.

The uk has left , like it or lump it , and time for everyone to get on with things and make the best of it.

And if they kick up a fuss, I'm sure DFDS Seaways ? will be delighted to take the lorries and the tourists to Ostend.

They were my ferry operator of choice when I was channel hopping, because their service to Dunkerque, while admittedly at least 30% more expensive than the run to Calais (I didn't care, that went on the expense sheet) gave me time to relax, unwind and get some food down me from a proper plate and proper knife and fork !!
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>