Brexit: Seven things changing on 1 January

Started by GBNews, January 01, 2021, 01:12:46 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

The new lorry park/customs check area plans reported by the BBC, "nearby residents are to be consulted."  I doubt that very much.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-55514651

Brexit: Dover inland border checkpoint planned on farmland
Published47 minutes ago
A new inland border control site for HGVs entering the UK via Dover is set for development near the town.

The Department for Transport (DfT) has bought the farmland, beside the A2 at Guston, as a place to carry out the extended checks needed due to Brexit.

The site will be used in addition to Manston and Ashford lorry parks, as a possible base for HMRC and Defra.

Further planning consent is still required and nearby residents are to be consulted, a DfT spokeswoman said.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 02, 2021, 11:51:30 AM

If you are referring to the sentence "these preparations are relevant whether we have a trade deal or not" then I have to say I read that as a statement of fact. It might have been more accurate to say they were needed despite the recently concluded deal, but I think this document was actually penned long before Christmas Eve by a civil servant about to f**k off and enjoy a Christmas break and left in the out tray for onward processing....

I don't KNOW this of course, I'm just working on what I hear from Moira who has been some sort of Civil servant for almost all her working life. It's the way the lazy f**kers work....

Apparently the land was purchased some months ago by the government and since  the sod what the locals think planning act recently I expect the bulldozers will be on site on Monday.  (The Farage Garage is delayed due to flooding, which is why Manston was used recently.)
The new site proposed is a lot closer to Dover Ferryport.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on January 01, 2021, 06:24:03 PM
If this is a genuine document why on the 31st December does it question if the EU has a deal or not?
I'm pretty sure the government knows we have a deal.

If you are referring to the sentence "these preparations are relevant whether we have a trade deal or not" then I have to say I read that as a statement of fact. It might have been more accurate to say they were needed despite the recently concluded deal, but I think this document was actually penned long before Christmas Eve by a civil servant about to F@@@ off and enjoy a Christmas break and left in the out tray for onward processing....

I don't KNOW this of course, I'm just working on what I hear from Moira who has been some sort of Civil servant for almost all her working life. It's the way the lazy fuckers work....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 01, 2021, 08:51:12 PM
Well I recon it's fake, unless the Royal Mail picks up letters on NYE and delivers on New Years Day. And the fact the government doesn't know we've signed a trade deal.

You'll need something better than that to make your point Pappy.

If it is fake it has fooled a national newspaper. Also in a local paper for the area:-

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/living-in-the-shadow-of-brexits-customs-clearance-sites-239412/

Nick

Quote from: Nick on January 01, 2021, 08:51:12 PM
Well I recon it's fake, unless the Royal Mail picks up letters on NYE and delivers on New Years Day. And the fact the government doesn't know we've signed a trade deal.

EDIT

May not be fake but it looks fishy not referring to the deal.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 06:50:55 PM
It is a letter sent to all the residents of the villages of  villages of Whitfield and Guston where the government has purchased land for a lorry park for Dover. (Yet another one.)

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 06:50:55 PM
It is a letter sent to all the residents of the villages of  villages of Whitfield and Guston where the government has purchased land for a lorry park for Dover. (Yet another one.)

its all running smoothly pappy , and as the two articles i linked to , but you turned your ususal blind eye to say , its is expected to run smoothly according to the bosses of calais and dover.

You just can't pass up a chance to turn a drama into a crises can you?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 01, 2021, 06:24:03 PM
If this is a genuine document why on the 31st December does it question if the EU has a deal or not?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 04:29:07 PM
It also looks as if trouble is expected at Dover and in the long term:-

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 11:51:49 AM

Based on many years of personal experience It is a lot cheaper in Brittany per day to day living costs than in the UK. Eating out is way cheaper in Brittany as well. Menu Ouvrier is around €12.50 for three courses  wine and coffee included.

And none of that will have changed.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 11:21:08 AM
I am cheerful it is you making very stupid assumptions about me that have no basis in fact.

When it comes to travel into Europe there are a lot of extra regulations to be complied with, and extra expense.
It will be very easy to fall foul of those regulations if you and your vehicle are searched at the port of entry.
If you are not aware of that, ignorance is bliss.

Like what? £3 for a driving permit?

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 05:04:25 PM
I never promised a catastrophe, that is in the minds of people on the this forum who think 2 + 2 is 22.
A no deal Brexit would have had dire consequences. The piss poor deal Bojo-The-Clown came back with has a lot of unintended consequences and emergent properties in it that will cause serious problems.

Dont want to hear any of your excuses smurf. its always the same with you , promise catastrophe , fail to deliver , then kick the can down the road with promises of more impending doom tomorrow.

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on January 01, 2021, 04:49:10 PM
Sorry Pappy, but you should have factored that in. We want the catastrophe you promised, not your usual mealy mouthed excuses.  :)

i havent laughed so hard borkie since pappy told us the world was going to end back in 2010 when the tory lib  coalition took over from his beloved brothers and sisters in labour.

Ten years on , pappy is still failing to deliver his empty  promises and make good on his predictions.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on January 01, 2021, 04:49:10 PM
Sorry Pappy, but you should have factored that in. We want the catastrophe you promised, not your usual mealy mouthed excuses.  :)

I never promised a catastrophe, that is in the minds of people on the this forum who think 2 + 2 is 22.
A no deal Brexit would have had dire consequences. The piss poor deal Bojo-The-Clown came back with has a lot of unintended consequences and emergent properties in it that will cause serious problems.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 10:08:41 AM
You are still being an idiot, today is a holiday, there is little cross channel freight traffic for the first two weeks of January anyway.
Officially a single incident is not a disaster until there are at least ten dead.

Algerie Francais !