New Years Eve is now a political stage...

Started by DeppityDawg, January 01, 2021, 11:57:38 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 03:38:27 PM
Other than the News, how much live TV is left?

The legal definition of activities for which a licence is required is the viewing of any live broadcast, from any network, including streamed services of live broadcasts (like Amazon Prime's live sport), recording of such live broadcasts, and use of iPlayer for any reason whatsoever.

Restricting your usage to streamed non-live services from any system except iPlayer allows you to tell the BBC to stuff their licence demand.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on January 01, 2021, 03:38:27 PM

i dont think the fact wether its live or recorded is the problem pappy , bbc and telly in general are becoming irrelevant as new forms of entertainment come online.

Technology is rendering them obsolete.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 01, 2021, 03:37:08 PM

Well, when Jennifer moves out, I'll be cancelling it as there's sod all I want to watch on live TV.

john , honestly the telly is rarely on in our house now, i remarked on this last week.

I have two teenagers in the house who dont watch telly at any point. Everything is consumed on laptops and i phones, on platforms such as you tube etc.

I think it was former tory mp michael portillo who remarked recently if  broadcasting doesnt change , and the licence fee with it , organisations like the bbc are going to die a natural death pretty soon.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 01, 2021, 03:37:08 PM

Well, when Jennifer moves out, I'll be cancelling it as there's sod all I want to watch on live TV.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on January 01, 2021, 03:09:26 PM
theres been a massive campaign john in scotland for years now with large amounts of people refusing to pay the tv licence.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

QuoteSNP MPs warn BBC they will back licence fee boycott if big changes aren't made

FOUR SNP MPs are demanding major changes to the BBC, otherwise they will back a campaign for Scots not to pay the television licence fee which funds the broadcaster.

Kenny MacAskill, Angus MacNeil, Douglas Chapman and Neale Hanvey have written a letter to director-general Tim Davie arguing the service is failing viewers in Scotland and pointing to a "significant disquiet over editorial balance"

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18786730.snp-mps-warn-bbc-will-back-licence-fee-boycott-big-changes-arent-made/

the unofficial grassroots campaing to stop funding the bbc in scotland has been going for years , with many at the top of scottish politics privately supporting it.

QuoteSo it's perhaps not a surprise that the BBC's latest annual report shows a startling drop in licence fee revenue from Scotland. In just two years the Corporation has seen £30 million lost from Scottish viewers – almost 10% of its 2018 income and almost 40% of the total £80m it spends on Scotland – even as the Scottish population has grown

https://wingsoverscotland.com/aunties-twilight/#more-119594

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 01, 2021, 03:03:38 PM
I had no idea it was on.

There is a Facebook group "defund the BBC" which is a motley collection of voices for sure, but they were pretty scathing !

theres been a massive campaign john in scotland for years now with large amounts of people refusing to pay the tv licence.

johnofgwent

I had no idea it was on.

Last night I was watching Amazon Prime until 1150 when I flipped over to the ITN News - a pretty anti-Brexit broadcast even though it was all over by then, and at two seconds to midnight I did what I said I would, stood on my pentagram in the garden and shouted 'Jumanji' as loud as I could ....

There is a Facebook group "defund the BBC" which is a motley collection of voices for sure, but they were pretty scathing !

Sheepy

On the other hand dawg, Mrs Queen wants a word with you, we will meet again she says and that fecking Che poster was taken down when I walked past.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 01, 2021, 12:47:17 PM
Yes I saw that . Khans last whimper of woke ness .  The traditional NY fireworks are a National welcoming in of the new year seen all over the world . Khan has turned it into his personal message of diversity London ,'' Europeans will always be welcome in our City''  ,'' we stand against racism ''   .. Yer we heard it all before  Sid go tell the mothers of the two kids stabbed in London last night .

As for the BBC who apparently organised the nights show whos bright idea was it to have a yank singing about New York at midnight at the time we should have been singing  auld lang  syne

Strange people , very strange

i didnt see any of this streetwalker , but as i have said many a time ,the bbc is fast becoming an out of date institution and a mockery.

Typical labour politician by the sound of it.

A year on  from one of the biggest beating labour have recieved under the direction of their current leaders strategy , and labour have learned nothing it seems. Blame corbyn , we are doing nothing wrong seems to be the thought process.

Seen it all before , and it only ends one way for labour.

As isaid , they are fast becoming an out of touch party of the london and south east english woke middle class , totally alien to anyone north of the watford gap.

Sad khan and the rest of labour are as far out of touch from the white working class of the north of england and scotland as his political rival johnson is .

Streetwalker

Yes I saw that . Khans last whimper of woke ness .  The traditional NY fireworks are a National welcoming in of the new year seen all over the world . Khan has turned it into his personal message of diversity London ,'' Europeans will always be welcome in our City''  ,'' we stand against racism ''   .. Yer we heard it all before  Sid go tell the mothers of the two kids stabbed in London last night .

As for the BBC who apparently organised the nights show whos bright idea was it to have a yank singing about New York at midnight at the time we should have been singing  auld lang  syne

Strange people , very strange

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg on January 01, 2021, 11:57:38 AM
Don't even need to put the article up, because those of you who watched it will have seen the shameless politic hijack of an annual event by wokeness and liberal left/climate interest groups last night

Turned it off in utter disgust after about 5 minutes. The sooner we have the option not to be forced to fund the BBC the better imho. As for Sadiq Khan, I can't write anything that won't result in me getting banned. Not strange at all how it "coincided" with the UK leaving the EU either.

I didn't watch it - didn't even know it was on. I thought it was all cancelled but there is quite an uproar going on with people incensed by what you are saying that it was a political statement. David Attenborough talking saving the planet, EU colours, BLM fist all angered a lot of people. Auld Lang Sine was omitted too so that didn't go down well either. The apology for a Mayor was heavily involved in its design apparently. I should think his days are numbered.

Barry

As soon as it started, I said to Mrs. look at the colours, blue and yellow of the EU. And it got worse.
Saddo has a lot to answer for - he claims to be inclusive, whilst actually fomenting division. I hope he is gone soon, but I doubt it.
† The end is nigh †

DeppityDawg

Don't even need to put the article up, because those of you who watched it will have seen the shameless politic hijack of an annual event by wokeness and liberal left/climate interest groups last night

Turned it off in utter disgust after about 5 minutes. The sooner we have the option not to be forced to fund the BBC the better imho. As for Sadiq Khan, I can't write anything that won't result in me getting banned. Not strange at all how it "coincided" with the UK leaving the EU either.