Will we revert to lbs/oz and Fahrenheit?

Started by T00ts, January 02, 2021, 03:19:09 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Thomas on January 02, 2021, 04:32:11 PM
only three countries in the world dont use metric quackers so i agree.

https://www.zmescience.com/other/map-of-countries-officially-not-using-the-metric-system/
All the more strange that wheel and tyre sizes throughout the world tend to be specified in inches — perhaps a Dunlop legacy...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 02, 2021, 08:14:16 PM

Trust me, it exists.

We all know it exists Jog but finding one is another matter .  :(

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on January 02, 2021, 04:22:16 PM
I can't see industry reverting to imperial measurements for designing and building things. Most of the world uses SI units, the USA being the only major exception.

We've kept the mile despite the Ordnance Survey going metric in the 1970s, while feet and inches stay on in daily conversation. I use imperial weights for cooking only because those are the weights our old scales have and there's no point in changing them.

I've always been in favour of full metrication but that will be a generational thing. When the last of the old feet-and-inches generation dies out, imperial measurements will go with them, just about.

I wonder if anyone's still supports the idea of going back to pounds, shillings and pence! 

As for centigrade and Fahrenheit, most people use centigrade (or celsius) which align nicely with the freezing and boiling points of water.

Ah yes, you reminded me, ordnance survey maps were always so many inches to the mile. They were reprinted digitally rescaled to a metric scale, but what always made me chuckle was the bwown contour lines. Because the small print in the back of the map stated categorically these remained at 50 (or 250) feet !!

And I too was in school from 1961, and for the majority of my science lessons used SI units. But my 11+ and lots of my O level maths (taken when I was 15, in 1973) still used imperial measurements, as did my father's allotment rental (and borchesters to this day)

As I said in another thread, in 1992 at the start of the cricket season my freelance client had a team in the Milton Keynes Sunday League. I was one of the bowlers in the 'B' team that kept the Sunday League 'A' team in trim. So we all went down to the council pitch near the Open University and kicked off the practice match.

And it was all going tits

At the time I had a house with an acre of garden, and I set up a set of stumps and a net, and used to spend ages doing sod all on a weekend except smashing cricket balls into those stumps. I was never particularly fast, but I could reliably dump the ball right in those damn stumps

And try as I bloody might I was bowling short on that pitch every time.

I thought I was going mad until the other bowlers in our side, and the A team bowlers all said the same thing. Something was well off.

In the end we first paced, then used a tape to measure the pitch.

The council twats had set out a pitch 22 Metres long not 22 yards.

I told the farmer who owned the farm and B&B this when I got back. John Sawbridge was Captain of Castlethorpe Cricket club and a member of the MCC. He went incandescently ballistic. By the end of the week, several P45's had been issued.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on January 02, 2021, 04:06:38 PM
Would you guys prefer a pint? Or does that still exist?

Trust me, it exists.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

I expect other countries informally use both non-metric and non-imperial local measures - for things like weighing sheep or measuring the diameter of pineapples, in the way the India uses the term 'lakh' to denote the number 100,000.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on January 02, 2021, 07:48:03 PM
I am sorry Tommy, but that is what happens when the SNP is allowed to rewrite history and airbrush inconveniently great men out. Anyway, according to Edward I (aka longshanks, the Hammer of the Scots etc)..

It appears that the earliest official definition of the yard (then referred to as the ulna) was in a statute of King Edward I (1272-1307). This statute also defined its sub- and aggregated divisions in the following words:

"It is remembered that the Iron Ulna (yard) of our Lord the King contains three feet and no more; and the foot must contain twelve inches, measured by the correct measure of this kind of ulna; that is to say, one thirty-sixth part [of] the said ulna makes one inch, neither more nor less... It is ordained that three grains of barley, dry and round make an inch, twelve inches make a foot; three feet make an ulna; five and a half ulna makes a perch (rod); and forty perches in length and four perches in breadth make an acre."

It should be noted that the length of the inch was there defined in terms of the length of grains of barley, as well as one thirty-sixth of an ulna; one wonders which took precedence. "

Mr longshanks borkie , a well know frenchman who couldnt speak a word of the english tongue.

;D

All these foreigners who the english folk look up to in their history?

"everyone who witnessed the humiliation of johan de balliol in the church of strathcaro , july 1296 , save the humble men at arms , were for the most part ,  French. Edward plantagenet angevin , balliol himself a picard  ,bruce from the cotentin , while du bec and comyn were flemings.

Of the old english stock , none , and likewise the celtic scots.

"every word in church that day was spoken in french.
"

GWS Barrow. Robert de brus
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on January 02, 2021, 07:22:36 PM
Couldnt tell you what a yard is toots. As i said its strange , taught fully in metric at scool , but measure distance in miles , yet i know what a metre is , but not a yard .

I am sorry Tommy, but that is what happens when the SNP is allowed to rewrite history and airbrush inconveniently great men out. Anyway, according to Edward I (aka longshanks, the Hammer of the Scots etc)..

It appears that the earliest official definition of the yard (then referred to as the ulna) was in a statute of King Edward I (1272-1307). This statute also defined its sub- and aggregated divisions in the following words:

"It is remembered that the Iron Ulna (yard) of our Lord the King contains three feet and no more; and the foot must contain twelve inches, measured by the correct measure of this kind of ulna; that is to say, one thirty-sixth part [of] the said ulna makes one inch, neither more nor less... It is ordained that three grains of barley, dry and round make an inch, twelve inches make a foot; three feet make an ulna; five and a half ulna makes a perch (rod); and forty perches in length and four perches in breadth make an acre."

It should be noted that the length of the inch was there defined in terms of the length of grains of barley, as well as one thirty-sixth of an ulna; one wonders which took precedence. "

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: DeppityDawg on January 02, 2021, 07:35:32 PM
A yard is three feet. As in a Yard of Ale  ;D

lol.

Its just an interesting conversation , and funnily enough , i agree with mad quackers , i think its depends on your age on how you think regarding metric.

Folk older than me still think imperial , i tend to use both imperial and metric despite being taught metric , and my kids are pretty much full on metric.

Member an old guy always moaning to me who i used to work wae that you only got a fifth of a gill when you had a whiskey in england instead of a quarter gill in scotland  , the tight arse barstewards. ;D

Ye cannae beat the german beer and the german stein ,  or what aboot the newky broon?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Thomas on January 02, 2021, 07:22:36 PMCouldnt tell you what a yard is toots.

A yard is three feet. As in a Yard of Ale  ;D

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on January 02, 2021, 05:39:26 PM
I regularly measure a yard from fingers to opposite shoulder and I agree there is much more poetry.

Couldnt tell you what a yard is toots. As i said its strange , taught fully in metric at scool , but measure distance in miles , yet i know what a metre is , but not a yard .

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on January 02, 2021, 05:21:47 PM
She has just walked in with a scarf and told me to measure it. So I put it on the table and used my hands. Twelve hands equals four feet which equals 120 centimetres  in funny money. Then she suggested that I use my tape measure to check but I said no, there is no poetry in metric.

I regularly measure a yard from fingers to opposite shoulder and I agree there is much more poetry.

Borchester

She has just walked in with a scarf and told me to measure it. So I put it on the table and used my hands. Twelve hands equals four feet which equals 120 centimetres  in funny money. Then she suggested that I use my tape measure to check but I said no, there is no poetry in metric.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on January 02, 2021, 04:22:16 PM
I can't see industry reverting to imperial measurements for designing and building things.

only three countries in the world dont use metric quackers so i agree.

https://www.zmescience.com/other/map-of-countries-officially-not-using-the-metric-system/

QuoteThat's right — the three countries which are not using the metric system are Liberia, Myanmar and of course... the United States of America.

HDQQ

I can't see industry reverting to imperial measurements for designing and building things. Most of the world uses SI units, the USA being the only major exception.

We've kept the mile despite the Ordnance Survey going metric in the 1970s, while feet and inches stay on in daily conversation. I use imperial weights for cooking only because those are the weights our old scales have and there's no point in changing them.

I've always been in favour of full metrication but that will be a generational thing. When the last of the old feet-and-inches generation dies out, imperial measurements will go with them, just about.

I wonder if anyone's still supports the idea of going back to pounds, shillings and pence! 

As for centigrade and Fahrenheit, most people use centigrade (or celsius) which align nicely with the freezing and boiling points of water.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on January 02, 2021, 03:19:09 PM
I just noticed that the Daily Fail is recording the predicted low temperature tonight in degrees F. Is this the first movement back? Will we be able to measure in lbs and oz again although as much as anything cake making measures are in cups a la USA.

Dont think much is going to change toots in that respect to be honest.

Pubs have always sold pints , builders i know regularly use a mishmash of imperial and metric ,  i was taught kilometers at school but use miles instead , and so on.

all measurements and weights seem to be a mishmash and have been all my life of imperial and metric.