New Years honours, background checks.

Started by papasmurf, January 03, 2021, 06:13:55 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

( the tweet is someone  taking the piss by the way , as most folk in scotland do about labour )

;D >:(
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Labour party poster from 1910 , yep 111 years ago , promising to clear away the house of lords

;D >:(

The Labour Party has been pledging to abolish the House Of Lords for over 100 years, but has not yet done so when in power and currently has over 200 peers in the chamber. Which of the following is closest to your view?

ALL VOTERS
– Labour should keep their peers and continue working towards abolition: 28%
– Labour should keep their peers and abandon attempts at abolition: 26%
– Labour should withdraw all their peers in an attempt to force abolition, because it would then be too one-sided to be politically defensible: 46%

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on January 04, 2021, 02:04:51 PM
Expecting their opposition to not indulge in the seedier  arts is frankly ridiculous.

well i dont know about that good old.

For example the snp wont accept peerages , unlike labour , who have sat bleating about the unfairness of the house of lords , and every now and again come out with empty cac about abolishiing it , yet when in power stuff the lords full of their toadies.

;D

Labour shouldnt make empty promises or try and make political captial out of the very corrupt systems they indulge in , which is why they are constantly laughed at over issues such as this , and why they have been out of power for a decade and counting.

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on January 04, 2021, 02:04:51 PM

What I think is , as ever you insist on mis-representing what I have actually made very clear. " It's an insidious use of honours whoever does it".  It's what has become professional foul play, open to both teams.
Knowing what the Tories are all about regarding all of their questionable practices and accepting it is what all Tories do. So accept all you like if you want to support them.  Expecting their opposition to not indulge in the seedier  arts is frankly ridiculous. If you went on a football ,or rugby pitch expecting to beat the opposition expecting not to go toe to toe in ." The  professional foul play area".  Then you shouldn't be there. As you won't win.

I dont vote for labour or conservatives , unlike you , who is a constant and vocal supporter of labour. So yet again , screaming the tories do it too isnt any sort of an excuse when you are supporting a party who endorses the very honours system you are on here bleating about.

I might take you a bit more serious if you had the courage of your convictions to vote someone other than labour as i do , until then, its just more tory bad whinging  , which as i keep telling you , sint going to put labour into power.

Good old

Quote from: Thomas on January 04, 2021, 01:28:50 PM
I fink good old is too good for this world , a bit like most lefties.

He doesnt quite get the honours system isnt to reward people for being good , its to reward people for being bad , and looking after mates who helped the government climb the greasy pole.

Thats how the world works.

What I think is , as ever you insist on mis-representing what I have actually made very clear. " It's an insidious use of honours whoever does it".  It's what has become professional foul play, open to both teams.
Knowing what the Tories are all about regarding all of their questionable practices and accepting it is what all Tories do. So accept all you like if you want to support them.  Expecting their opposition to not indulge in the seedier  arts is frankly ridiculous. If you went on a football ,or rugby pitch expecting to beat the opposition expecting not to go toe to toe in ." The  professional foul play area".  Then you shouldn't be there. As you won't win.

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on January 04, 2021, 01:22:30 PM
Dunno.

I remember the case of Alan Sugar who donated megabucks to all the right causes and was made a peer as a result. And when he went to the House of Lords to be made Queen or whatever they do, he got into a brawl with another chap about about the order of precedence in the queue.

So there you had a pair of as hard as nails businessmen who probably thought that the best place for their money was in their pockets, shelling out the spoondollies to the sick and lame and halt, for no better reason than that they wanted to wear a moth eaten ermine robe that their wives would have turned down if found in the bargain bin at Oxfam.

I fink good old is too good for this world , a bit like most lefties.

He doesnt quite get the honours system isnt to reward people for being good , its to reward people for being bad , and looking after mates who helped the government climb the greasy pole.

I keep trying to find that old picture of alistair darling some guy on one of the scot forums posted a while back , two pictures contrasted with each other showing darling leading a scot republican march with banners through the streets of edinburgh with long hair and jeans in the seventies , contrasted with him in his ermine robe for services to the establishment in 2014.

Thats how the world works.

Streetwalker

Borchester

Quote from: Good old on January 04, 2021, 12:59:53 PM

The Tories have  been doing this sort of things for ever. Only when the Labour, party could be fingered did it hit the fan. The situation does not change,  the Tories still reward donors on a regular basis. Including when told not to by the watchdog. As in the Cruddas affair . Scandal rarely mentioned there.
It's an insidious use of honours, whoever does it.

Dunno.

I remember the case of Alan Sugar who donated megabucks to all the right causes and was made a peer as a result. And when he went to the House of Lords to be made Queen or whatever they do, he got into a brawl with another chap about about the order of precedence in the queue.

So there you had a pair of as hard as nails businessmen who probably thought that the best place for their money was in their pockets, shelling out the spoondollies to the sick and lame and halt, for no better reason than that they wanted to wear a moth eaten ermine robe that their wives would have turned down if found in the bargain bin at Oxfam.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on January 04, 2021, 12:59:53 PM

The Tories have  been doing this sort of things for ever. Only when the Labour, party could be fingered did it hit the fan. The situation does not change,  the Tories still reward donors on a regular basis. Including when told not to by the watchdog. As in the Cruddas affair . Scandal rarely mentioned there.

we expect it from the tories good old.

As borkie says , that why he votes for them , nothing like a good corrupt party with corrupt policies.

....but labour are supposed to be whiter than white , and above this sort of thing.

...and when they arent , thats why they recieve criticism.

You cant moan about the tories taking brown envelopes for honours , while doing the same thing yourselves.

Good old

Borchester

Actually, I quite like the honours system. People will put themselves out for the most trivial of trinkets. I dare say that a few palms are greased in the process but that is hardly on the lines of the killing of the first born. 
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on January 04, 2021, 11:31:24 AM
The sort of unsavoury I am referring to is I suspect unsavoury to most.
I have read that link, which is why I started to thread.

mind the labour parties cash for honurs scandal pappy? ;D

Those were the days for labour eh?

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on January 04, 2021, 11:31:24 AM
Bollox I only fed the old and infirm and used my learnt skills to help others, I kept my bike like new and sold it for the same price I paid for it 3 years later, a nod is as good as a wink.  ;)
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 04, 2021, 11:29:07 AM
That may be but unsavoury to you or me may not be unsavoury to others .

All the info is here
https://www.gov.uk/honours

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on January 04, 2021, 11:13:06 AM
But it still seems some very unsavoury people get honours.

That may be but unsavoury to you or me may not be unsavoury to others .

All the info is here
https://www.gov.uk/honours