Tesla 2014 Vs 2019

Started by BeElBeeBub, November 13, 2019, 07:47:33 AM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=6192 time=1573930823 user_id=53
Just thinking aloud here but are there any British companies with plans to produce an electric car ?   The bidding  to produce a US ,European or Asian version in the UK is a bit lost on me personally .Why not produce our own ?

Doesn't the guy behind Ineos have some plan? pretty low volume though.

The issue with car building (and some other industries) is no one country is big enough to economically source all the components from.

You will always need to import parts.

This will be an especially big issue with batteries. battery production is key and it's a size game. Hence the Tesla giga factories.

Iirc when the first one came online it near doubled the world battery production.

The second issue is the market. Again it's a size game and the more units you can build and sell the cheaper each unit is.

The UK market is not big enough.  

So we will always need to export.

Brexit makes both importing and exporting harder and more costly

In the world of car manufacture the margins are wafer thin, so it can make the difference between profit and loss.

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=6192 time=1573930823 user_id=53
Just thinking aloud here but are there any British companies with plans to produce an electric car ?   The bidding  to produce a US ,European or Asian version in the UK is a bit lost on me personally .Why not produce our own ?

Hope not.

As I have probably said before, pioneers usually end up getting scalped by the redskins. We will be better off waiting for someone else to iron out the wrinkles before starting up on our own.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

johnofgwent

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=6077 time=1573903805 user_id=75
I couldn't make much sense out of that gibberish but screenshot away if it makes you happy.

Well of course you wouldn't, your a dyed in the wool europhile who wishes to see this country continue to take it up the shutter from the rest of the EU we voted to have no more to do with.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Ciaphas

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=6070 time=1573900758 user_id=63
I'll take a screenshot of that, so when the EU goes down the toilet thanks to the components that espouse Corbyns economics and rather like leaving the others to pick up the bill, you can eat it.

Any preference for how you want it ? Poached ? Boiled ? I'd make you eat it with lashings of Tabasco myself....

I couldn't make much sense out of that gibberish but screenshot away if it makes you happy.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=6071 time=1573900960 user_id=63
On the subject of the electric car, its becoming clear that the green lobby has already done what Corbyn threatens, to price motorists off the road.

The Honda / Suzuki dealer where we got my SX4 S-Cross and Moira got her old CR-V now have nothing in the showroom priced below 40k OTR.

The local Cornish version of Arthur Daley's most expensive car at the moment is £4,999 - Lexus - Rx350 se Auto - 3,456cc

2007 - Petrol - Estate - 104,987 miles- Black
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

On the subject of the electric car, its becoming clear that the green lobby has already done what Corbyn threatens, to price motorists off the road.

The Honda / Suzuki dealer where we got my SX4 S-Cross and Moira got her old CR-V now have nothing in the showroom priced below 40k OTR.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=5591 time=1573631925 user_id=75
There is little point investing in a country that is determined to commiy econonic and reputational seppuku and is likely going to spend the next few decades going through further economic and political upheaval.

Most companies look for stability and the UK will be unstable for the immediate future. It's only disaster capitalists who'll benefit from Brexit.

I'll take a screenshot of that, so when the EU goes down the toilet thanks to the components that espouse Corbyns economics and rather like leaving the others to pick up the bill, you can eat it.

Any preference for how you want it ? Poached ? Boiled ? I'd make you eat it with lashings of Tabasco myself....

Barry

Tesla company figures are worryingly going South. Just Google it. Not sour grapes at all. Let him invest wherever he wants, and wherever his bankers will support him.

This is not the one I recall reading but try this:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/tesla-3q-profit-stock-price-jump-not-sustainable-analyst-says-2019-10-1028628522">//https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/tesla-3q-profit-stock-price-jump-not-sustainable-analyst-says-2019-10-1028628522
† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry post_id=5609 time=1573642373 user_id=51
If you want to invest in a European base, you might as well be inside a future EU.

QuoteThey might even help rescue the business which is contracting rapidly, as Musk's is in the poo.
how do you figure Tesla is "in the poo"?

They sold 5x as many model 3s in H1 2019 as they did in H1 2018

3 out of every 4 electric cars sold in the US is a model 3.

Globally they around 1 in 3 electric cars sold is a Model 3.

they are now selling around 130k cars per 6months

For comparison BMW 3/4 series sold 190k, Merc C 200k, Audi A4/5 200k in the same period.  So they are now in the same volume range.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

"We never wanted all those industries anyway! We always preferred ties and innovative jam....."

Barry

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=5591 time=1573631925 user_id=75
There is little point investing in a country that is determined to commiy econonic and reputational seppuku ...

I might agree with this if I had any idea what it meant.

BeElBeeBubbbub is probably right though. If you want to invest in a European base, you might as well be inside a future EU. They might even help rescue the business which is contracting rapidly, as Musk's is in the poo.
† The end is nigh †

Ciaphas

There is little point investing in a country that is determined to commiy econonic and reputational seppuku and is likely going to spend the next few decades going through further economic and political upheaval.

Most companies look for stability and the UK will be unstable for the immediate future. It's only disaster capitalists who'll benefit from Brexit.

BeElBeeBub

In 2014:
CEO Elon Musk predicts that Britain will be a key market and R&D hub for Tesla, despite concerns over electric car infrastructure

The UK could be Tesla's biggest European market, and between its third- and fifth-strongest market worldwide, according to CEO Elon Musk. Speaking at the handover of the first five right-hand drive Model S cars to British owners, Musk voiced optimism for his electric super saloon's future in the UK, despite the struggle electric vehicles (EVs) have had eating into conventional car sales.

Musk said "At the moment, Norway is our biggest [non-US] market, but we'd expect the UK to overtake that, given the larger population." According to the Tesla boss, there's currently a four-month waiting list on a new Model S.

Tesla UK R&D centre plans confirmed

Musk also confirmed the UK will be the base for a brand new Tesla R&D centre, which could even precede a vehicle assembly plant in Britain – if demand is high enough. "We'll have an R&D centre here before a factory", Musk said.

"We'll have our first European factory in continental Europe, perhaps the Netherlands, but it makes sense to have one in the UK once we're producing more than 500,000 units. But the factory needs to be running at full capacity [to be viable]."

And in 2019:
QuoteBrand's European battery plant will be built near Berlin, with Tesla R&D centre in Germany, too

Tesla boss and serial entrepreneur Elon Musk has revealed that the firm's new European Gigafactory battery facility will be built in Germany on the outskirts of Berlin.

Speaking at Auto Express's sister title Auto Bild's Golden Steering Wheel Awards, Musk also revealed that a European research and development base was also planned for Germany, in addition to the new battery manufacturing plant.

However, speaking exclusively to Auto Express after making the announcement, Musk blamed Brexit uncertainty on why the UK wasn't considered for the new site: "Brexit [uncertainty] made it too risky to put a Gigafactory in the UK," Musk said.

This absolutely can't be pinned on "diesel" (but I bet some will try)

The battery makes up a huge portion of the total value of the car. The risk of A) tariffs on it moving to a plant in the EU or on the completed car and B) it's value not being counted as "EU" for exports to Japan, Korea etc was too great.

The prospect of the UK leaving SM/CU killed the plans for a Tesla base in the UK. This will be a major setback for the electric car (and by extension the car) industry in the UK.