The Reform party

Started by Streetwalker, January 07, 2021, 04:09:21 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on January 09, 2021, 09:46:32 AM
Is Farage in Britain at the moment?
Perhaps Niggly Fartage is hiding out in the EU?  Union Flag
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Is Farage in Britain at the moment?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on January 09, 2021, 09:11:21 AM
Most definitely not. But I am saying that any party he leads or is a part of deserves the representation it's support in the country entitles it to. Same applies for those opposing it.

Well this comes back tot eh issue of the Liberals in the seventies does it not. Over 30% of the vote in four constituencies and enough MP's to fill a taxi. Well, two once Cyril Smith got elected.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 07, 2021, 09:53:49 PM
Are you saying you would give Farage your vote srb ?
Most definitely not. But I am saying that any party he leads or is a part of deserves the representation it's support in the country entitles it to. Same applies for those opposing it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on January 08, 2021, 11:33:33 PM
I'm quite happy with having a temporary "police state" to enforce the lockdown rules in order to get us out the other side of this third wave, especially now that the new variant has struck just as vaccination gets under way.
As I said much earlier in the pandemic, if lockdowns and other restrictions turn out to be futile in the long run, then there will come a time when we have to admit defeat and live with the risks associated with returning to normal life. But if the lockdown and vaccination are effective we could see cases and deaths reduced dramatically by March.

I do think that fining those two women for driving 5 miles to go for a walk in empty Derbyshire countryside was excessive, though.

it was slightly more than excessive, it was f**k Ng illegal.

The premise on which the fines were handed out did not at the time (f**k knows what the reality is now) exist in law.

It is stated categorically there was NO legal ban on driving to take exercise.

The police are there to uphold the law. Not make their own up as they go Along. Thats a politicians job.

And a "police state" leads to riot and mayhem. Christ HDQQ can't you see even the white guys are going to get stuck in with machetes when it kicks off this time, because after a year of no money, no chance to run a business to make any and house arrest what exactly do they have to LOSE

As I pointed out, if I were incarcerated in a prison to the extent I have been put under house arrest since March even Kier f**king Starmer would be donning wig and gown and shouting habeaus corpus ...

And as I said in another post, only the Chief Constables seem to understand where we are and where this is going.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

Quote from: Barry on January 08, 2021, 11:16:40 PMFarage made a video today calling into question the severity of measures over this virus which is making us into a police state.
I'm quite happy with having a temporary "police state" to enforce the lockdown rules in order to get us out the other side of this third wave, especially now that the new variant has struck just as vaccination gets under way.
As I said much earlier in the pandemic, if lockdowns and other restrictions turn out to be futile in the long run, then there will come a time when we have to admit defeat and live with the risks associated with returning to normal life. But if the lockdown and vaccination are effective we could see cases and deaths reduced dramatically by March.

I do think that fining those two women for driving 5 miles to go for a walk in empty Derbyshire countryside was excessive, though.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

I'll be honest I don't think this is going to fly.

Up to now Farage has had a clear goal in sight. Ever since the early days he's been a get us out of Europe, give us back the accountability of our politicians guy.

That got delivered insofar as everything we could screw out of the European Federalist Dreamers got handed to us last week.

I don't know what Farage thinks he can do now but I don't see him as offering a unique selling point in the way he has with BREXIT that he has offered for what was it 20 years ??

Sorry.

Barry

Farage made a video today calling into question the severity of measures over this virus which is making us into a police state.
He might get my vote again.
This Tory leadership is not conservative.
Labour is lost up a creek with no paddle.
Lib Dems - rejoin, no way.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on January 08, 2021, 10:52:51 PM
Never forget Farage's and involvement with and support for Trump. He did say that storming the Capitol was wrong but then even Trump has said that despite being the instigator.
People hang their hats on pegs all the time. Sometimes those pegs turn out to be bad, can't blame a bloke for trying.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Never forget Farage's and involvement with and support for Trump. He did say that storming the Capitol was "wrong" but then even Trump has said that despite being the instigator.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sampanviking

Quote from: T00ts on January 07, 2021, 05:52:22 PM
Self employed and small business will hardly raise sufficient funds to run a viable party surely. It would have to have a mass appeal like Farage did when everyone plus Uncle Tom Cobbley offered their £10 to get them off the ground.

Add the retired Toots, mainly by promising far more protection for Final Salary Pension Schemes from thieving Shysters like Green and Maxwell - among others.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on January 07, 2021, 08:48:38 PM
We need electoral reform, We need proportional representation. Then every political force left, right, or centre capable of garnering much support can gain representation. FPTP freezes out new political forces and currents by posing almost insurmountable obstacles. Even today the Greens have only 1 MP. UKIP only ever had one, and he a sitting MP who defected to them.

Are you saying you would give Farage your vote srb ?

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 07, 2021, 04:09:21 PM
Well Brexit is dead ,the party is now the Reform Party .

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-party-nigel-farage-reform-uk-b723772.html

Will have to see how this develops  though Im thinking it will go down in flames . Not sure where the support will come from
We need electoral reform, We need proportional representation. Then every political force left, right, or centre capable of garnering much support can gain representation. FPTP freezes out new political forces and currents by posing almost insurmountable obstacles. Even today the Greens have only 1 MP. UKIP only ever had one, and he a sitting MP who defected to them.

T00ts

Quote from: Sampanviking on January 07, 2021, 05:05:49 PM
There is plenty of room for a new party in UK politics, one which is positioned right of center and which is targeted towards The Small Business owner and self employed etc.

Old Labour is seen as mainly interested in Unionised Labour and the Public Center. New Labour is seen as being interested mainly in Liberal Human Rights causes and Rightist Globalism.
The Tories are largely seen as being there for the benefit of the Wealthy and Establishment.

So a party that targets the smaller businessman should find its place and take support from all the main established parties.

To be honest, he had the chance to do this back with UKIP but really failed to expand it beyond the single issue.

Which comes to the other problem area. UKIP; because of its single issue obsession, was bedeviled by a succession of head bangers rising to the top. Can he put together a team of effective and level headed people to advance a viable agenda or will it just attract the looney tune brigade again?

Self employed and small business will hardly raise sufficient funds to run a viable party surely. It would have to have a mass appeal like Farage did when everyone plus Uncle Tom Cobbley offered their £10 to get them off the ground.

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on January 07, 2021, 04:45:48 PM
I think an anti-lockdowns party might be more popular, despite so many masochists living among us.

As you say popular, but not as much as a masochist party. During the Protectorate of the 1650s when the government closed down everything that folk might enjoy, American Puritans poured back across the Atlantic to join in the general glumness.

A considerable chunk of the population holds the unshakable belief that being not only miserable but getting a kick in the balls by the powers that be, must be good for them.  :)
Algerie Francais !