Exporting to the EU, problems starting to emerge.

Started by papasmurf, January 08, 2021, 09:03:50 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Barry on January 26, 2021, 01:08:38 PM
It was about Northampton being the home of Carlsberg. I have been to the brewery there, it is amazing. I knew a guy who worked on the huge water main taking water from Pitsford reservoir direct to Northampton, to cater for the increased water requirements of the brewery and the growing town.

My wine has gone up by £1 a bottle, that's £30 quid a week extra 😉
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

Quote from: Barry on January 26, 2021, 01:08:38 PM
It was about Northampton being the home of Carlsberg. I have been to the brewery there, it is amazing. I knew a guy who worked on the huge water main taking water from Pitsford reservoir direct to Northampton, to cater for the increased water requirements of the brewery and the growing town.

I tend to buy it because it is cheap.
But I can tell the difference taste wise from the imported beer of the same brand.

Baff

Quote from: srb7677 on January 26, 2021, 10:50:11 AM
If the cost of importing lager or anything else increases substantially due to border delays and torrents of red tape resulting from Brexit, who do you think these extra costs are going to be passed on to if not customers? The faeries? Jesus perhaps?

You can go elsewhere as much as you like but if everyone's costs increase, everyone will be putting their prices up, including whatever elsewhere you go to.

"Substantially" lol.
More like insignifcantly.

What is the extra cost of having different words on your paperwork?
I'm thinking, not so much.

Certainly where I work, prices have not gone up for our exports.

And as far as I know of there are no delays on our side. Imports are all flowing freely.

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 26, 2021, 11:23:34 AM
I think you completely missed the gist of the post
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on January 26, 2021, 10:50:11 AM
If the cost of importing lager or anything else increases substantially due to border delays and torrents of red tape resulting from Brexit, who do you think these extra costs are going to be passed on to if not customers? The faeries? Jesus perhaps?

You can go elsewhere as much as you like but if everyone's costs increase, everyone will be putting their prices up, including whatever elsewhere you go to.

I think you completely missed the gist of the post

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 26, 2021, 07:45:38 AM
Apu (my local shop keeper) was trying to big himself up yesterday . While on the beer run , a dozen cans of Holsten  ,he was giving it large that he had secured a supplier from the continent  as there were  problems importing the beer due to Brexit . A price increase may be unavoidable

When I told the silly sausage that I would be getting my Northampton brewed tipple elsewhere if he did he backtracked and said no not your Holsten I meant Stella .  Fecking eejit .

Union Flag

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Apu (my local shop keeper) was trying to big himself up yesterday . While on the beer run , a dozen cans of Holsten  ,he was giving it large that he had secured a supplier from the continent  as there were  problems importing the beer due to Brexit . A price increase may be unavoidable

When I told the silly sausage that I would be getting my Northampton brewed tipple elsewhere if he did he backtracked and said no not your Holsten I meant Stella .  Fecking eejit .

Union Flag

Tbird

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 25, 2021, 11:32:32 AM
What irritates me is we are not slapping the same right on the EU. They won't feel reciprocal pain until July....
Just redirect your imports from EU to CANZ (canada, Aussie and New Zealands), then EU will feel the pain.

When Bojo got the virus, those remoners kept "praising" the nurse from EU (Spain?), but ignored there was another nurse from NZ who's also looking after BoJo........

YET, it just demonstrated how deep and strong the bond between CANZ and UK is. In contrast to EU's behavior during and after Brexit, it is now the time the proms to know who's your true friends are.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on January 24, 2021, 11:51:16 AM
Can we have a link showing this advice from a gov source instead of some rag?

Given that the article states categorically "this is not government policy" and the "advisor" is cited as saying he "had to be careful" it seems such links are unlikely to be forthcoming.

It doesn't mean it's not true though. I'm seeing stories of £200 fees for vetinary inspections for £30 consigents of goods.

This smacks of French Gallic Shruggery all over.

What irritates me is we are not slapping the same right on the EU. They won't feel reciprocal pain until July....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on January 24, 2021, 05:41:37 PM
Here's another reference to firms experiencing export difficulties being advised to set up offices within the EU:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55786974
Do you know what does me in with you lot Ducky you can never move on, still gripeing about Trump and mulling over the spitefullness of EU politics, the EU will never change and Trumpy is no more.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

QuoteKIWI CLINCH White wine loving Brits set for joy as free trade deal with New Zealand is just weeks away

WHITE wine loving Brits are set for joy as a free trade deal with New Zealand is just weeks away, The Sun can reveal.

Round three of talks start today with trade officials confident a agreement will be wrapped up before Easter - handing a welcome to boost to British businesses and for Sauvignon Blanc drinkers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13838794/free-trade-deal-new-zealand/
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on January 24, 2021, 03:12:17 PM
Here's an article warning of how British firms might need to set up offices in the EU. Source: BBC last October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54377749

And a link that thousands of UK financial firms plan to open offices in EU - a complication they could have done without.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-banks/a-thousand-eu-financial-firms-plan-to-open-uk-offices-after-brexit-idUSKBN1ZJ00D

Also, once a company has opened an office in an EU country, they might be on the slippery slope to moving manufacture and services there too, meaning job losses here.

Businesses need to adapt and find new markets, they have known about this for over 4 years. I guarantee you some businesses will be thriving on the new opportunities.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

DeppityDawg

I wish we could export ducks to the fecking EU.