Exporting to the EU, problems starting to emerge.

Started by papasmurf, January 08, 2021, 09:03:50 AM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Here's another reference to firms experiencing export difficulties being advised to set up offices within the EU:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55786974
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

HDQQ

Here's an article warning of how British firms might need to set up offices in the EU. Source: BBC last October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54377749

And a link that thousands of UK financial firms plan to open offices in EU - a complication they could have done without.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-banks/a-thousand-eu-financial-firms-plan-to-open-uk-offices-after-brexit-idUSKBN1ZJ00D

Also, once a company has opened an office in an EU country, they might be on the slippery slope to moving manufacture and services there too, meaning job losses here.

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on January 24, 2021, 10:50:33 AM
In the latest "scaremongering come true" situation, firms experiencing difficulty exporting to the EU have been advised by the government to "set up shop in the EU".

This appears to mean registering a separate company in the EU to handle business with the EU, which would probably mean opening an office somewhere in the EU.

So if a company sets up an EU subsidiary with an office in France (for example), it would probably employ mostly French people but if any British staff need to work there they no longer have a right to do so, they'd need to apply for permission to work and reside there. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/brexit-hit-firms-advised-government-officials-set-up-shop-in-eu

This might actually be a boom industry for Ireland because it's in the EU, English is the main language and there is still free movement of people between there and UK (in normal times). If Dublin becomes our bureaucratic gateway to the EU, that might benefit Ireland but for us, all it's doing is partially mitigating the effects of a bad decision.

Can we have a link showing this advice from a gov source instead of some rag?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

In the latest "scaremongering come true" situation, firms experiencing difficulty exporting to the EU have been advised by the government to "set up shop in the EU".

This appears to mean registering a separate company in the EU to handle business with the EU, which would probably mean opening an office somewhere in the EU.

So if a company sets up an EU subsidiary with an office in France (for example), it would probably employ mostly French people but if any British staff need to work there they no longer have a right to do so, they'd need to apply for permission to work and reside there. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/brexit-hit-firms-advised-government-officials-set-up-shop-in-eu

This might actually be a boom industry for Ireland because it's in the EU, English is the main language and there is still free movement of people between there and UK (in normal times). If Dublin becomes our bureaucratic gateway to the EU, that might benefit Ireland but for us, all it's doing is partially mitigating the effects of a bad decision.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on January 15, 2021, 02:40:01 PM
Buy British? That is getting to be next to impossible.
Except for plenty of fish and meat, apparently...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Now meat exporters are having problems:-

More at link:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55680315

Post-Brexit customs systems not fit for purpose, say meat exporters

3 hours ago

UK meat exporters have claimed post-Brexit customs systems are "not fit for purpose", with goods delayed for hours, sometimes days, at the border.

The British Meat Processor Association said even experienced exporters were struggling with the system.

It said meat exports to the EU were 25% of normal levels for this time of year.

One large French meat importer told the BBC that he and his competitors were starting to look at alternative suppliers in Spain and Ireland.

The BBC has contacted the government for comment.

Nick Allen, chief executive of the British Meat Processor Association, said: "Fundamentally, this is not a system that was designed for a 24/7, just-in-time supply chain.

"The export health certification process was designed for moving containers of frozen meat around the
world where you have a bit of leeway on time.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Benson on January 15, 2021, 12:25:08 PM
We need to stop buying EU products.

Buy British where you can. At least support your own country first and stop being a traitor.

Buy British? That is getting to be next to impossible.

GerryT

Buy British where you can. At least support your own country first and stop being a traitor.
You need to kick out all those foreign companies also, car manufacturers, pharma companies, financial services etc and stop being a traitor.

Sheepy

They are busy stocking up on toilet rolls, because they need someone to tell them, the upside of covid and Brexit, if they have enough sense to look for it, there are now websites where you can buy direct from your local growers and suppliers. But then they would have to make some effort instead of letting the media and politics drive how they think.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Benson

How do you change your signature?

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on January 09, 2021, 03:22:00 PM
Quite, the brown stuff will hit the air conditioning when "just in time," turns into this week, next week, some time, never.
It will be similar to when I order things from Wun Hung Lo's Fork Handles Four Candles Emporium in rural China and Gunga Din's repurposing  foundry  on the North West Frontier.  40 days delivery by pack donkey/camel.
:D
quite

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on January 09, 2021, 02:58:12 PM
shipping levels are at a tiny fraction of normal but that won't last long.

Quite, the brown stuff will hit the air conditioning when "just in time," turns into this week, next week, some time, never.
It will be similar to when I order things from Wun Hung Lo's Fork Handles Four Candles Emporium in rural China and Gunga Din's repurposing  foundry  on the North West Frontier.  40 days delivery by pack donkey/camel.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on January 09, 2021, 01:40:35 PM
Except there haven't been any delays.
That tiny detail must really suck for you.
Yes there has, the first shipment out of Dover had 12 trucks. 4 were sent back, that's 33% stopped. The press reported only 4 trucks stopped but left out the important detail.
The problem is so bad that a lot of Scottish fishing has now stopped trying to ship to the EU, the one thing the UK fought for and then the Govt couldn't ensure that the industry was prepared. A 5hr delay to get a health certificate that's required to start the rest of the export documents is killing the industry

https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-eu-scotland-fishing/exclusive-its-a-catastrophe-scottish-fishermen-halt-exports-due-to-brexit-red-tape-idUSL1N2JJ0QK

M&S in France and Ireland are running with empty shelves.

There's more examples out they if your bothered to look.

Business in the UK have been saying for yrs they don't know what to do and the UK Govt weren't telling them, it was a big secret, Johnson delaying things until Christmas eve didn't help.

Whats the other big blocker, the UK don't have enough customs officers to process all this paperwork, even though the UK started the recruitment process for the additional 50,000 required. By the way the UK knew these were required in 2016 the day after the vote to leave.
There's also a massive shortage of vets to also do the export process required and the dopey employment rules isn't attracting anyone from the EU to go to the protectionist UK.

The delays last December was everyone stocking up, shipping levels are at a tiny fraction of normal but that won't last long.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on January 09, 2021, 01:40:35 PM

I cannot believe you posted that.
FFS Your TV broken? Are you out communication with the World? 

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on January 08, 2021, 11:33:27 AM
Thats very naive of you, knowing how to complete the forms and what products do meet rules of origin is not something your born with. If its a requirement now that wasnt' there as an EU member it has to be learnt.
But the main problem is the checking and delays, why do you think your govt put a border in kent and loads of lorry parks. This outcome is what you voted for.