Exporting to the EU, problems starting to emerge.

Started by papasmurf, January 08, 2021, 09:03:50 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on January 08, 2021, 11:53:48 AM
It is the lack of inspection and certification (which is down to  government, ) that is the problem.
Like banging your head against a wall.
Borchester thinks fishermen should sell their high value fresh catch to a low value bonemeal manufacture. He's a genius, the EU is looking to ban bonemeal. What they are not getting, the value in the business is taking fresh fish from water and getting it to customers very very quickly. If you can't the value of your catch dramatically drops. If fisherman try introduce a middle man they lose profit.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/eu-agriculture-ministers-agree-to-bone-meal-animal-feed-ban-1.1119422?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Feu-agriculture-ministers-agree-to-bone-meal-animal-feed-ban-1.1119422

It's what you voted for lads, just keep saying to yourself 'they need us more than we need them'

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 08, 2021, 11:51:21 AM
Quiet right borky , Seafood Scotland have full instructions on their website of the export process and possible tripwires . Its not our fault if they can't be bothered to read it .

It is the lack of inspection and certification (which is down to  government, ) that is the problem.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on January 08, 2021, 11:34:54 AM
Why not to a fish and bonemeal manufacturer?

I can't see Seafood Scotland lasting much longer if folk such as Donna Fordyce keep passing up business opportunities

Quiet right borky , Seafood Scotland have full instructions on their website of the export process and possible tripwires . Its not our fault if they cant be bothered to read it .

Anyway what are they selling anyway ? We have been a short on shellfish down at the 'Goat' Micks  shellfish bar in Mitcham . We had to buy some New Zealand Mussels last week . Bloody fresh as a fresh thing they were ,went down a treat with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc .

Maybe air freight is the future for seafood  Union Flag

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 08, 2021, 11:22:12 AM
These companies need to get their act together and stop moaning about a bit of paperwork . Makes me laugh when  you hear a  'centuries old industry '  can't navigate customs . Makes you wonder how they got  on pre  EU ??

The government has  been totally useless about the issues I don't blame the companies at all.
There are still 200 full time equivalent vets short of what is needed and many thousands of the staff necessary.
Put the blame where it lies, with Bojo-The-Clown.

Edited to add 50000 customs agents were supposed to have been recruited, they haven't been (BBC news a few moments ago.)

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on January 08, 2021, 09:03:50 AM

"These businesses are not transporting toilet rolls or widgets. They are exporting the highest quality, perishable seafood which has a finite window to get to markets in peak condition," said Donna Fordyce, chief executive of Seafood Scotland.

"If the window closes these consignments go to landfill."

Why not to a fish and bonemeal manufacturer?

I can't see Seafood Scotland lasting much longer if folk such as Donna Fordyce keep passing up business opportunities

Algerie Francais !

GerryT

These companies need to get their act together and stop moaning about a bit of paperwork . Makes me laugh when  you hear a  'centuries old industry '  can't navigate customs . Makes you wonder how they got  on pre  EU ??
Thats very naive of you, knowing how to complete the forms and what products do meet rules of origin is not something your born with. If its a requirement now that wasnt' there as an EU member it has to be learnt.
But the main problem is the checking and delays, why do you think your govt put a border in kent and loads of lorry parks. This outcome is what you voted for.

Nick

Like the dinosaurs, they evolve or they become extinct.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

These companies need to get their act together and stop moaning about a bit of paperwork . Makes me laugh when  you hear a  'centuries old industry '  cant navigate customs . Makes you wonder how they got  on pre  EU ??

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on January 08, 2021, 10:52:27 AM
They aren't tactics, they are inspection, and compliance certification that all countries outside of the EU exporting to the EU have to comply with.
Bojo-The- Clown has left UK companies up the creek without a paddle.
I stated this was going to happen a long time ago.
Its like banging your head against a wall. Its either two things, the first is people didnt know which is fair enough. Or they did know but thought the uk being so great that the rest of the world would make exceptions for them. The international customs checks, forms, declarations, checks, vet inspections, regulation compliance, rule following doesnt and shouldnt apply to the UK, or at the very least England.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on January 08, 2021, 10:47:20 AM
Just as I thought the eu are being as awkward as possible or possibly the French,I saw another business that found exporting to the rest of the world no great prob.

I remember reading about these sort of tactics before by them,it was concerning Japanese electronics where they made a rule that all the stuff had to be inspected......and predictably they only employed one inspector.
Just to be clear there has been zero trade changes on the EU side. ALL the changes are on the UK side.
For recap, the UK left the EU, where there was a customs union. This removed two barriers to trade, the first being vat and tariffs. The second being customs requirements, forms/checking/long delays.
This is whats called an own goal, the changes are the UK getting used to trading with the EU as a sovereign state and filling out customs forms and waiting for inspections.-----This is brexit, its what you voted for and its what the experts (remoaners) warned about but were scoffed at. This is not teething problems but what to expect for the next 50 or 100 yrs.
Im sure the sun or express will print some more lies about the EU so you can get angry into you cup of tea. Just remember before you voted to leave this was public knowledge, outside the EU CU and theres customs requirements. By the way its exactly the same for EU exporters into the UK, we now have to comply with UK customs requirements (that new VAT rule for one), forms and delays. The differemce being we didnt vote for it !

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on January 08, 2021, 10:47:20 AM
Just as I thought the eu are being as awkward as possible or possibly the French,I saw another business that found exporting to the rest of the world no great prob.

I remember reading about these sort of tactics before by them,it was concerning Japanese electronics where they made a rule that all the stuff had to be inspected......and predictably they only employed one inspector.

They aren't tactics, they are inspection, and compliance certification that all countries outside of the EU exporting to the EU have to comply with.
Bojo-The- Clown has left UK companies up the creek without a paddle.
I stated this was going to happen a long time ago.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

I have been expecting this to happen, it isn't just fishing:-

More at link:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55583244

Brexit: Firms warn of problems as new EU trade rules kick in
Published11 minutes ago

New border rules introduced last week are already creating problems for importers and exporters, say firms.

On Friday, Marks & Spencer became the latest company to warn of the administrative burden and increase in export costs to some countries.

Parcels firm DPD has already suspended some services and there have been warnings from seafood exporters.

One export trade body told the BBC there was a "growing problem and sense of unease" among its members.

Shane Brennan, chief executive of the Cold Chain Federation, which represents chilled transport and storage companies, said the emerging problems have come despite the amount of cross border traffic still being quite low.

"Trade flows are still only about 50% of what we would expect, but even at those levels we are seeing levels of confusion and delays," he told the BBC's Today programme. "The feeling is we are building to quite a significant potential disruption."

Rotten fish
Scottish seafood exporters say they have been hit by a "perfect storm" of Brexit disruption, which could sink a centuries-old industry.

"These businesses are not transporting toilet rolls or widgets. They are exporting the highest quality, perishable seafood which has a finite window to get to markets in peak condition," said Donna Fordyce, chief executive of Seafood Scotland.

"If the window closes these consignments go to landfill."