The police need our support

Started by Barry, January 08, 2021, 03:20:28 PM

« previous - next »

Good old

You will always have people interpreting rules in various ways, in particular if the rules contain a number of open ends.
That can apply to the police implementing them, or the public adhering by them.
The police are no different to the public in general in so much as across the country officers are going to have different reactions to to what at time are vague instructions as to what can and can not be done. One copper will say, on your way another your nicked. That's life.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 09, 2021, 09:31:33 AM

So you have repeatedly said. Why not write to your lord and master, Prince Infidelity of Lugnuts, and demand martial law in his fiefdom.

I have no idea who you mean.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on January 09, 2021, 09:14:26 AM
It needs a lot more of it where I live.

So you have repeatedly said. Why not write to your lord and master, Prince Infidelity of Lugnuts, and demand martial law in his fiefdom.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on January 09, 2021, 09:10:55 AM

This overbearing and illegal police action has to stop.

It needs a lot more of it where I live.

Barry

Perhaps someone can explain how the Scottish police incident, where no rules were broken, but the householders ended up getting charged, helped to prevent the spread of the virus.
Then they can explain how stopping two women walking by a lake for exercise, also good for their mental health, managed to attract a fine - how did this action help to prevent the spread of the virus.
And the Birmingham incident, where 6 people remembered the Birmingham bombings should have been dealt with the same as a funeral, which allows 30 people to attend.
This overbearing and illegal police action has to stop.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 09, 2021, 08:30:15 AM

So let's get this straight.

You don't want people in Cornwall

Your plod are doing as you ask

Yet the wording of your post "normally I support the police" clearly suggests you don't now even though they are doing what you want them to....

Checking who shouldn't be here is something they should have been doing since last March. Too Little too late does not impress me at all.
By the way complaints about how many people are here who should not be appear to be being suppressed by the local media/press.
(Which is strange given how many local people are complaining about it.)

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on January 09, 2021, 08:16:43 AM
Normally I support the police. However locally they have only just started to use the ANPR system to send back to whence the came, the many thousands of people who should not be in Cornwall at all during the lockdown.

So let's get this straight.

You don't want people in Cornwall

Your plod are doing as you ask

Yet the wording of your post "normally I support the police" clearly suggests you don't now even though they are doing what you want them to....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Normally I support the police. However locally they have only just started to use the ANPR system to send back to whence the came, the many thousands of people who should not be in Cornwall at all during the lockdown.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on January 08, 2021, 04:55:54 PM
What do you want? The police have been mandated to try to make the latest lockdown effective enough to hold back the numbers currently inundating the hospitals. Those lucky enough to catch the bug and recover are fine but it is proving a killer for too many but even worse is the numbers needing a hospital bed and all the expertise the medics can give. Many are not even getting treatment because there isn't enough while many are not recovering well.

More than that - we are not going to slide into a police state - presumably those complaining so loudly would not have been happy with the blackout in the last war. We don't have the type of government that is going to allow us to be a police state - luckily they are still on the opposition benches. For the poor souls who are getting caught by this the least the rest of us can do is our bit for everyone else. Life is not all about 'me me me'.

Come and live in Wales. Both Mark Prickford and Effing Gethin have demanded the police enforce their pontificated, non statute, podium rants of the last week. We ARE now in a police state and the chief constables are the only ones who seem to understand this is a withdrawal of the concept of policing by consent' and will make things go very badly for the Bobby on the beat ....

The Police and Crime Commissioners are now all political appointees placed by the Labour party and are in favour of the Dictatorship ...

Barry

More good work by the police.
I can understand why they asked for their details.  ;)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on January 08, 2021, 07:15:55 PM
I wasn't suggesting increasing the infection rate.
People should be given their freedom. They know the risks and will take appropriate action.
If locking everyone in their homes works, why are we in the state we are now.
You tell me how it is being spread and then we can all stop it. Nothing is working - all over the world the virus is increasing, lockdown or not.

Barry that's just frustrated talk. So everyone calculates their own risks - you can't see it, some are spreaders with no symptoms, but if you get sick you would expect a hospital bed. Even if you didn't, the NHS would be duty bound to try and help you. Now we are looking at a spreader that is far more virulent than before. Lots of people are having to be out there working and the least that people who can work at home or don't need to be out all the time can do for the rest of society, is stay put to try and take the pressure off. I agree nothing is working yet, but the numbers have dropped before and will again. We have to be patient. When we did it before they relaxed everything too much too soon, we all knew it and so we are where we are, but the mutation is another problem. If the S Africa mutation arrives then we are in real trouble because they don't think the vaccine will work.

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on January 08, 2021, 06:59:49 PM
I would make Police a priority for vaccination.
Having seen my exhausted mother breakdown and sob after months of long hours working in a London Hospital, with me and her grandchildren not even being able to give her a hug, I would also support a total lock-down and enforced mask wearing in public by everyone — both inside and in the open air — with strict punishment for those who don't comply...

Covid-19: controversial trial may actually show that masks protect the wearer
November 24, 2020
The current question "to mask or not to mask?" has again unmasked our limitations in interpreting medical research and in handling the associated uncertainty, argues James Brophy

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/11/24/covid-19-controversial-trial-may-actually-show-that-masks-protect-the-wearer/

I do think that there is a very strong argument for vaccinations for all those on the front lines who simply have to work. Nurseries, schools, all medics and carers, police, firemen, supermarket workers even army personnel involved in vaccination jobs. Anyone who has to be in the public domain for work.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on January 08, 2021, 06:34:21 PM
Barry you can't mean that! Are you looking at these doctors and nurses who are going out of their minds - they are frantic. What is common sense about your theory?
I wasn't suggesting increasing the infection rate.
People should be given their freedom. They know the risks and will take appropriate action.
If locking everyone in their homes works, why are we in the state we are now.
You tell me how it is being spread and then we can all stop it. Nothing is working - all over the world the virus is increasing, lockdown or not.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

I would make Police a priority for vaccination.
Having seen my exhausted mother breakdown and sob after months of long hours working in a London Hospital, with me and her grandchildren not even being able to give her a hug, I would also support a total lock-down and enforced mask wearing in public by everyone — both inside and in the open air — with strict punishment for those who don't comply...

Covid-19: controversial trial may actually show that masks protect the wearer
November 24, 2020
The current question "to mask or not to mask?" has again unmasked our limitations in interpreting medical research and in handling the associated uncertainty, argues James Brophy

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/11/24/covid-19-controversial-trial-may-actually-show-that-masks-protect-the-wearer/
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on January 08, 2021, 06:05:18 PM
You know what I want, an end to lockdowns and a return to common sense.  Union Flag
Well we all want things but we have to do what is best for everyone,if you can't see that the NHS is close to being overwhelmed and many NHS staff are tired,frightened and overworked in this crisis,common senses says the lockdown is the only viable way brought this.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?