Post Office strike ruled null and void

Started by Churchill, November 13, 2019, 04:27:27 PM

« previous - next »

Churchill

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=5842 time=1573748606 user_id=87
Nothing gets learned. The management are idiots because they don't talk it out with unions first, and the unions are idiots because they won't accept change. Regardless of what the courts have decreed, expect disruption

Sadly too often Never the Twain will meet and far too often the  paying public pay the price
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=5842 time=1573748606 user_id=87
Nothing gets learned. The management are idiots because they don't talk it out with unions first, and the unions are idiots because they won't accept change. Regardless of what the courts have decreed, expect disruption

Quite but it will be after the election and Christmas.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Wiggles

A hand up, not a hand out

patman post

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=5761 time=1573708054 user_id=74
It will go up as internet shopping gets going. I get lots of small packages under 100g and smaller than the size of a letter.

Royal Mail's Parcel Force is the biggest beneficiary (out of letters and parcels) from internet shopping. But despite the growth in internet shopping, letters are declining at the rate of 7-9% a year — elections only give a temporary upward blip. The drop in letter volumes has caused the group's share price to plummet from a high of 600p when it was fully privatised in 2013, to currently around 220p. It has a number of competitors for parcels and for business mail collection. And the internet is competing with letters.

The Post Office (owned by the state through UK Government Investments) is the UK's largest retail chain with 11,500 outlets. Over a third of its revenue in its last financial year came from its 'Mails' division where home shopping returns accounted for 35% of this revenue. But though it takes in mail, packages and parcels, and sell stamps on behalf of Royal Mail under an agreement between them, it does not itself deliver the items...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=5689 time=1573666883 user_id=89
No-one wants to take on delivering letters to all of Britain for a uniform price.

Not at the low prices that are being charged at the moment. 70p and 61p.

It should be a minimum of £1 per item and no second class. Just get stuff delivered ASAP. Nothing should be run at a loss.
† The end is nigh †

Churchill

Yes I believe 76% of the workforce did take part in the ballot, however as I understand it some filmed themselves collectively filling in their ballot forms in the workplace, when it is supposed to done in private hence the Courts ruling the rules were not adhered to, they will have to run it again.
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=5768 time=1573719143 user_id=69

The Judges job is to administer the Legislation made by Parliament not interfere with the very body that makes all the Legislation that governs all of us.

Quite, the union involved knew the legislation involved in strike balloting and appear in this case to have ignored it.

Usually such ballots are carried out by the Electoral Reform Society.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Churchill

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=5754 time=1573689629 user_id=75Double standards

The huge difference IMO is Secret Ballots on strike action were introduced for a very good reason to stop intimidation of workers who choose not to go on strike, which happened in the bad old days with a show of hands , all the workers could see who did not put their hands up and some of them were too scared to vote how they felt.

Those who voted against strike action knew they risked being bullied or driven out of work for voting against strike action which did happen far too often.  

That legislation was put in place by elected ( by secret ballot) poloticians to protect all workers in a Union which the majority of workers are not in any Union these days, not even in the Post Office its now personal choice.

When the Government and the PM was taken to task by a few MP's and private individuals by their legal action unelected Judges interfered with the running of the elected Government which has now set a IMO a dangerous legal precedence

The Judges job is to administer the Legislation made by Parliament not interfere with the very body that makes all the Legislation that governs all of us.

Churchill

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=5747 time=1573686260 user_id=70
Post Office strike? It's Royal Mail that's had to make sure all election mail gets carried in the run up to Christmas...

They said they would make arrangements  but would it happen , even if the strike had not been set for the run up to Christmas IMO done so for maximum disruption to the paying public once again no guarantee election mail would get delivered on time , or other very important post

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=5749 time=1573687858 user_id=70
It's been tried for letters. But not one alternative organisation could make it work. So Royal Mail had to handle the final leg. Now several companies offer mail collection services to businesses, but the letters are delivered in the UK by Royal Mail.

With the continuing drop in the quantity of letters, I doubt the six day delivery will continue for much longer, or the 90%-achieved next-day first class service. Monday to Friday is going to be adequate for most purposes as will be two or three day delivery...

It will go up as internet shopping gets going. I get lots of small packages under 100g and smaller than the size of a letter.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Ciaphas

Quote from: Churchill post_id=5701 time=1573670265 user_id=69
There is a huge difference between the Post Office and Parliament if you had not noticed :roll:

Double standards

patman post

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=5706 time=1573670910 user_id=74
No they probably don't. What I mean by competition is that you can do it for the price you decide to do it for and do the service you want to do as well. Britain is still mired in protectionist thinking and we end up with another useless pile of crap. These bloody idiots can't even work out the number on the letter. Several times I've had to deliver folks' post right down the other end of my road. It's like a BL worker confusing one one of the car he is working on for the other.

It's been tried for letters. But not one alternative organisation could make it work. So Royal Mail had to handle the final leg. Now several companies offer mail collection services to businesses, but the letters are delivered in the UK by Royal Mail.

With the continuing drop in the quantity of letters, I doubt the six day delivery will continue for much longer, or the 90%-achieved next-day first class service. Monday to Friday is going to be adequate for most purposes as will be two or three day delivery...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Churchill post_id=5668 time=1573662447 user_id=69
The expected Post Office strike which was due to take place in the run up to Christmas has been ruled null and void by a Judge , the Judge ruled that there were irregularities in the ballot which is supposed to be carried out in private , not at work rules apparantly brought in to avoid any intimidation of the work force.

Best I get my cards written then to make sure they get to where they are supposed to be in time

Post strike threat lifts as Royal Mail wins legal challenge https://www.itv.com/news/2019-11-13/post-strike-threat-lifts-as-royal-mail-wins-legal-challenge-writes-joel-hills/">https://www.itv.com/news/2019-11-13/pos ... oel-hills/">https://www.itv.com/news/2019-11-13/post-strike-threat-lifts-as-royal-mail-wins-legal-challenge-writes-joel-hills/

Post Office strike? It's Royal Mail that's had to make sure all election mail gets carried in the run up to Christmas...

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=5689 time=1573666883 user_id=89
No-one wants to take on delivering letters to all of Britain for a uniform price.

No they probably don't. What I mean by competition is that you can do it for the price you decide to do it for and do the service you want to do as well. Britain is still mired in protectionist thinking and we end up with another useless pile of crap. These bloody idiots can't even work out the number on the letter. Several times I've had to deliver folks' post right down the other end of my road. It's like a BL worker confusing one one of the car he is working on for the other.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Churchill

There is a huge difference between the Post Office and Parliament if you had not noticed :roll: