Oh boo hoo I don't have an EHIC card so I'm worse off

Started by cromwell, January 09, 2021, 04:09:47 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2021, 09:50:12 AM
John it appears if you read all of the thread Money Saving Expert has fallen for a scam.
Only use the government link. The card is free, do not pay for it.

Scammers are using what appears in some cases to be the government link, it isn't.

Just one of many new items on the subject:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/global-health-insurance-card-nhs-b1782140.html

Really ? The link I found in their forum led here

https://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 10, 2021, 09:43:18 AM
I found on the Money Saving Expert site to register for one of these replacements.

John it appears if you read all of the thread Money Saving Expert has fallen for a scam.
Only use the government link. The card is free, do not pay for it.

Scammers are using what appears in some cases to be the government link, it isn't.

Just one of many new items on the subject:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/global-health-insurance-card-nhs-b1782140.html
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on January 10, 2021, 09:23:20 AM
You think you're smart and wonder why fewer and fewer can even be bothered to engage with you.
It is available,the rest is pure smokescreen I am not interested in any further exchange with you on this issue.

Well, seeing as I've no idea when the EHIC cards Moira and I applied for in time for our 2018 trip to Zante, our first foreign holiday for four years and our first European one for 16, expire, I have used a link I found on the Money Saving Expert site to register for one of these replacements. As I won't need it for eight months AND I suspect the Chinese Pox will still be fucking with tourism this year every bit as much if not more than it did last, I suspect I need not have bothered.

And as I said in an earlier post when I WORKED for a few months  in what had not quite become the EU the company that sorted out my company PII sorted out insurance akin to tourist levels of cover but categorically stating it applied to persons with the right to work there who were doing so at the time they required treatment.

I can't and won't believe something of that sort is not available today. Gibraltar is nothing if not shrewd when it comes to underwriting such....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on January 10, 2021, 09:23:20 AM

It is available,

It is not available yet.  I am registered for all updates to travel and it is not available yet. (It could be soon, but not yet.
My wife and I still have valid EHICs anyway. However even when we both have been vaccinated, and fork out £120 each for covid free certification and can get travel insurance there are currently no Plymouth/Roscoff  passenger ferries until the 23rd of March.  (That assumes Brittany will be out of lockdown and curfew by then.)

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2021, 09:00:42 AM
I did and the GHIC card is not available (yet,) which is how I know the now deleted link in the thread starter was a scam. Scam websites abound.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

We will soon be replacing the EHIC with a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). These pages and the application portal will still refer to EHIC.

Your EHIC is valid in the EU until it expires. You do not need to apply for a GHIC if you already have an EHIC. Once your EHIC has expired, you'll be able to replace it with a GHIC.

Beware of unofficial websites, which may charge if you apply through them. An EHIC or GHIC is free of charge.

You think you're smart and wonder why fewer and fewer can even be bothered to engage with you.
It is available,the rest is pure smokescreen I am not interested in any further exchange with you on this issue.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on January 10, 2021, 08:55:30 AM
Baz is Barry and whether anyone can or cannot cross the channel is irrelevant to your claim thatSo go to his reply #20 above read the link and outline where it says it is not available.

I did and the GHIC card is not available (yet,) which is how I know the now deleted link in the thread starter was a scam. Scam websites abound.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

We will soon be replacing the EHIC with a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). These pages and the application portal will still refer to EHIC.

Your EHIC is valid in the EU until it expires. You do not need to apply for a GHIC if you already have an EHIC. Once your EHIC has expired, you'll be able to replace it with a GHIC.

Beware of unofficial websites, which may charge if you apply through them. An EHIC or GHIC is free of charge.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2021, 08:45:35 AM
Who is Baz? Currently it is next to impossible for a tourist to get across the channel anyway.

Baz is Barry and whether anyone can or cannot cross the channel is irrelevant to your claim that
Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2021, 08:28:43 AM
There is no sign at all yet of the replacement to the EHIC card, the GHIC card.
So go to his reply #20 above read the link and outline where it says it is not available.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on January 10, 2021, 08:35:08 AM
Yes there is,read the link Baz posted.

Who is Baz? Currently it is next to impossible for a tourist to get across the channel anyway.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2021, 08:28:43 AM
Other than a current EHIC card, (which can't be renewed)  which does not cover living and working in an EU such matters are up in the air at the  moment and it will also vary from EU country to EU country.
(There is no sign at all yet of the replacement to the EHIC card, the GHIC card.
Yes there is,read the link Baz posted.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 09, 2021, 10:25:27 PM

I don't know what is available today but I suggest anyone working in a foreign country who doesn't find something of this sort is a bloody idiot....

Other than a current EHIC card, (which can't be renewed)  which does not cover living and working in an EU such matters are up in the air at the  moment and it will also vary from EU country to EU country.
(There is no sign at all yet of the replacement to the EHIC card, the GHIC card.

johnofgwent

As I understand it I can apply for a replacement with another name...

But nobody is going to be travelling as a tourist this year either so I don't see what the issue is.

The UK had reciprocal arrangements with the entire EEC and most of the non Warsaw pact countries long before we joined them. There were all sorts of arrangements but when Dad got hurt in West Germany he was treated in a West German hospital as a West German citizen would, because we signed an agreement that any Ill or injured West Germans working in the UK would be treated by our NHS as if they were British Citizens.

When I WORKED in France and Belgium at about the time Major was selling us out with the Maastricht Treaty I found health insurance to cover me to the same degree as I had when a tourist from the same broker that sorted my professional indemnity.

I don't remember what it cost and I didn't care as it came off the profits as a business expense.

I don't know what is available today but I suggest anyone working in a foreign country who doesn't find something of this sort is a bloody idiot....

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on January 09, 2021, 08:35:01 PM
Really? I have only has problems on three forums, two are full of rabid Tories, and the third is full of drug addled hippies.

You mean they disagree with you?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on January 09, 2021, 08:24:43 PM

You do this all the time and have done so for years over multiple forums,

Really? I have only has problems on three forums, two are full of rabid Tories, and the third is full of drug addled hippies.
I use far more forums than three some of them going back to the very start of the internet, in the 1990s

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on January 09, 2021, 08:24:43 PM
That'll be a no and because Nick told you to get a life and buy travel insurance you change tack and say that's your complaint.

Nick can get cheap all year around travel insurance, I can't due to age.